Hull fans really don't like the Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You've not come across East Hull or Bransholme yet then?
I worked in Hull for a while,it was when they put the padlocks on Boothferry Park..can't remember the year...Another Rugby town,but has a load of Leeds fans aswell when it comes to football...A lot of the RL fans don't like Hull City...weird place.
Just like Leeds where Leeds RL hate Leeds United, or they did in my day.

That's why I'm a Blade.

And no, I don't venture in to east Hull

I go t’ull regularly as Mrs SW12 etc. comes from Hull and still has a lot of family there. It’s grotty.
Having said that, Beverley Rurd used to be decent night out before all the pubs closed down and the old town is still worth a visit. All the best places are outside the city itself.
That’s about it really, a bit underwhelming.
I had a good night out in Cottingham a few weeks ago

Well at least the two I overheard discussing our promotion chances in crystal peaks.

"Not proper yorkshire"

"North midlands"

"Above their station"

Then something about Shakespeare - seeminly reference to use of thee etc.

Went on to say that they hope they end our promotion chances at the end of april
Hull fans don't seem to like Hull very much either.

Hopefully they'll get rebranfed as the Hull nobody gives a shits and take their rightful place in L2

I go t’ull regularly as Mrs SW12 etc. comes from Hull and still has a lot of family there. It’s grotty.
Having said that, Beverley Rurd used to be decent night out before all the pubs closed down and the old town is still worth a visit. All the best places are outside the city itself.
That’s about it really, a bit underwhelming.
Ye Olde White Harte in the old town is a nice place.

Not proper Yorkshire. Hull.
It was. Once.

East Riding no less!

But they were always odd.

Painted their red phone boxes cream. :eek:

That’s a tell-tale sign of oddness if ever there was one.

And rumour has it, they used them for making phone calls rather than pissing in them and smashing the windows and setting fire to the telephone directory!

Weirdos! :rolleyes:

It was. Once.

East Riding no less!

But they were always odd.

Painted their red phone boxes cream. :eek:

That’s a tell-tale sign of oddness if ever there was one.

And rumour has it, they used them for making phone calls rather than pissing in them and smashing the windows and setting fire to the telephone directory!

Weirdos! :rolleyes:
I’ve had this argument many times with southerners, that both Hull and Middlesbrough have been returned to Yorkshire. They’re in and out though, Sheffield’s always been in Yorkshire.

Apart from the bits that used to be in Derbyshire.

Here I go breaking the party line again, but I quite like Hull.

My son moved there about 6yrs ago and I've come to quite like the place and have already booked a 3 night stop over for the Easter Monday game.

It has some good eating and drinking places, some good history and easy access to Brid and Scarborough.

What's not to like?

As far as shitty run down areas go I see your Hull and raise you Parsons Cross, Page Hall, Brightside and Attercliffe, and that's without all those areas that escape the classification due large populations of Unitedites.

Every City has such areas and I blame Thatcher.

(anyone that wants to argue with that please go to general chat and argue with someone that cares)

With you on that Maidenhead

When I was repping, I had a very big account at B.P.Chemicals in their Saltend refinery. My main contact was a great lad who’d played for North Ferriby, but for some reason followed Man Utd - our appointment system was eccentric but possibly unique:

Me: Are you available Tuesday next week?
Him: I am that, coffee at 10.30?
Me: Sounds good, free for lunch?
Him: Certainly am.....err, what the fuck are we going to do in the afternoon?
Me: Put your mind to it, will you?
Him: Wilco, roger and out.

On such wheels does British industry turn

My son moved there about 6yrs ago and I've come to quite like the place and have already booked a 3 night stop over for the Easter Monday game.

It has some good eating and drinking places, some good history and easy access to Brid and Scarborough.

What's not to like?

As far as shitty run down areas go I see your Hull and raise you Parsons Cross, Page Hall, Brightside and Attercliffe, and that's without all those areas that escape the classification due large populations of Unitedites.

(anyone that wants to argue with that please go to general chat and argue with someone that cares)

This post is brought to you by the City of Hull Tourist board and sponsors Methadone.

What's not to like?

I'm wary of anyone who calls themselves "Maidenhead" and then starts telling us how nice places are! No offence intended, but assuming your name reflects a Berkshire town (and not a sexual preference) it's one I know very well. The Nicholl's Shopping Centre eh? "Shoppenhangers road" - Nah we talkin' eh? Oh man! I spend a lot of time in that area, fortunately not in Maidenhead town centre, although I have ventured into it on a few occasions lately. They've got a good shop that sells door locks (Balham's), that's all I can think of that's good about it. But within a short distance of Maidenhead there are some nice places - like Bray, where Rolf Harris lives! ;)

Now...Hull. If you'd have come out with that post 2 years ago I'd have thought you were barking mad. But, strangely, I find myself slightly agreeing with you. I went to Hull last year and I can't remember what for now tbh, but I remember me and the missus having a wander round that renovated dock area and thinking...actually, this is quite nice. We even decided to stay and have dinner there. There were a lot of nice bars and quite upmarket eating places. Put it this way...nicer than anything Sheffield has currently got. Didn't Hull get some investment for city of culture or summat a few years ago? If so that's maybe what's transformed it so positively. I didn't reckon much to the plastic flowers in front of the Town Hall though.

You weaken your argument by using some poor Sheffield suburbs to attack Sheffield. You don't need to do that. Sheffield city centre is bad enough alone, without dragging Parson Cross and others into it. I walked down Pinstone Street the other day. I thought I'd pop into Maplin's for some electrical stuff before heading down to the bank on Fargate. Maplin's - GONE!. Note in the window saying, "we've closed down". In fact, several shops on Pinstone Street have closed down. Then there's a really scruffy looking charity shop opened. I'm afraid Sheffield city centre has an abundance of charity shops, nail bars and closed down shops. It's actually very poor, but don't tell Sheffielder's that because they'll tek thi art t' country and feight t' death, rather than admit it. They take it very personally. Let's hope this new "shopping centre" breathes a bit of much needed commercial life into the place. All I know as I drive past it, is that its looking like a film set from the Flintstones currently. Anyhow...

We'll see.

Well at least the two I overheard discussing our promotion chances in crystal peaks.

"Not proper yorkshire"

"North midlands"

"Above their station"

Went on to say that they hope they end our promotion chances at the end of april

Above their station?
Yeah their natural level is league 1/2

I'm wary of anyone who calls themselves "Maidenhead" and then starts telling us how nice places are! No offence intended, but assuming your name reflects a Berkshire town (and not a sexual preference) it's one I know very well. The Nicholl's Shopping Centre eh? "Shoppenhangers road" - Nah we talkin' eh? Oh man! I spend a lot of time in that area, fortunately not in Maidenhead town centre, although I have ventured into it on a few occasions lately. They've got a good shop that sells door locks (Balham's), that's all I can think of that's good about it. But within a short distance of Maidenhead there are some nice places - like Bray, where Rolf Harris lives! ;)

Now...Hull. If you'd have come out with that post 2 years ago I'd have thought you were barking mad. But, strangely, I find myself slightly agreeing with you. I went to Hull last year and I can't remember what for now tbh, but I remember me and the missus having a wander round that renovated dock area and thinking...actually, this is quite nice. We even decided to stay and have dinner there. There were a lot of nice bars and quite upmarket eating places. Put it this way...nicer than anything Sheffield has currently got. Didn't Hull get some investment for city of culture or summat a few years ago? If so that's maybe what's transformed it so positively. I didn't reckon much to the plastic flowers in front of the Town Hall though.

You weaken your argument by using some poor Sheffield suburbs to attack Sheffield. You don't need to do that. Sheffield city centre is bad enough alone, without dragging Parson Cross and others into it. I walked down Pinstone Street the other day. I thought I'd pop into Maplin's for some electrical stuff before heading down to the bank on Fargate. Maplin's - GONE!. Note in the window saying, "we've closed down". In fact, several shops on Pinstone Street have closed down. Then there's a really scruffy looking charity shop opened. I'm afraid Sheffield city centre has an abundance of charity shops, nail bars and closed down shops. It's actually very poor, but don't tell Sheffielder's that because they'll tek thi art t' country and feight t' death, rather than admit it. They take it very personally. Let's hope this new "shopping centre" breathes a bit of much needed commercial life into the place. All I know as I drive past it, is that its looking like a film set from the Flintstones currently. Anyhow...

We'll see.
I assume you refer to Nicholson's Walk Shopping Centre? ;)

I was unfortunate enough to spend 11yrs of my life in Maidenhead very close to Shoppenhangers Road in Cox Green, as I definitely couldn't afford Shoppenhangers!

On my last visit I saw that all the lovely old large houses on Shoppenhangers had been demolished and replaced by block after block of modern apartments (can't call them flats in Maidenhead).

I agree with your view of Maidenhead town centre. It was never good to start with and it's getting worse with every year that passes.

I also concur with your views on Hull and some of these people that are knocking it should try spending some time there and see what it really has to offer.

We usually stay at the Holiday Inn on the new Marina and it really is quite pleasant and within walking distance of everything in the centre.

I'm sorry for denigrating Sheffield, I was merely implying that people that live in glass houses etc...……………

We'll see.

Totally agree. Went last september and that dockside area was superb, really decent and as it was a warm day it was rammed full. Wish that could be transported over to Sheffield and for Victoria Quays to be like that. Agree about Sheffield City Centre, absolute dump, pure embarrassment. The peace gardens, millenium square, winter gardens, tudor square section is good, very good, the rest is a bag of wank! Division Street used to be alright but that's a scruffy mess these days. Shame really, but hopefully the new developments can make it better. A mate of mine years ago (mid 90s) used to say how sheffield had it all wrong. He said the Moor should just be all the shops (high end, low end etc) and then fargate should just be restaurants and bars and cinema etc, and said imagine how good it'd be.

We'll see.
I must admit that after their year as city of culture I do get fed up of visiting the wife’s family and having to put up with their endless poetry recitals and the violin practices before discussing the merits of chip spice and patties they sell in their fish (chip) shops.
East Hull has just lost its je ne sais quoi in the last couple of years.

From the Profanisaurus -

Humber Bridge: 1. n. Suspended estuary crossing which connects Grimsby to Hull and thus 2. n. The thing on a lady which links the fishy bit to the shitty bit. The taint, tinter, carse.

Hull, in case you were wondering, is the shitty bit.

"Not proper yorkshire"

"North midlands"

"Above their station"

just ask them where were they when they were crap ,it usually shuts them up or remind them of their Humberside years being paired up with Grimsby really pisses them off .

Talking of Beverly I once met a bird who came from some village between Hull and Beverly at a hotel near Daventry, she looked reyt fit in the bar at 1.00am. Not so good next morning at the breakfast table in fact she was a bit shabby to be honest muck between the toes and all that, I never did take up her offer of a weekend in East Yorkshire thank god.

Back
Top Bottom