Huddersfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Drunk blade

Reaction score
I can see our club going the way of Huddersfield. The are a lot of similarities with their relegation two seasons back albeit our start is worse. They started the season with David Wagner in charge who was a popular manager with the fans after unexpected promotions and stopping up in the first season in the Premier league. They started the season playing very defensive football like us and the results were not going for them losing by the odd goal with the occasional thrashing thrown in and very rarely scoring.

Wagner had taken the club as far as he could go but was loved by the fans, the club wouldn't sack him but he instead resigned in January to save his pride. The club rushed in a replacement who wasn't up to the task and they were relegated in March equaling Derby's record for the quickest relegation.

They were in a relegation battle in the championship the following season and now look nowhere near a team that will get out of the championship any time soon, realistically this is where we will be too.

and teams who get battered out of the Prem do not turn it around and come back up the next season.

I can see our club going the way of Huddersfield. The are a lot of similarities with their relegation two seasons back albeit our start is worse. They started the season with David Wagner in charge who was a popular manager with the fans after unexpected promotions and stopping up in the first season in the Premier league. They started the season playing very defensive football like us and the results were not going for them losing by the odd goal with the occasional thrashing thrown in and very rarely scoring.

Wagner had taken the club as far as he could go but was loved by the fans, the club wouldn't sack him but he instead resigned in January to save his pride. The club rushed in a replacement who wasn't up to the task and they were relegated in March equaling Derby's record for the quickest relegation.

They were in a relegation battle in the championship the following season and now look nowhere near a team that will get out of the championship any time soon, realistically this is where we will be too.
I'm inclined to agree , for some bizarre reason people seem to think all we need to do is turn up in the championship and it's our title , the team we have now is not as good as Watford , norwich
Depressing but rings true. However we are a much bigger club than Huddersfield. Now who the fuck do I sound like for gods sake ....

Totally agree I was saying last June/July that fans were deluded in thinking we could reach europe as there was no pace and no creativity in the side and we had a nucleus of league one and championship players in the team , and it will be the same next season that current side is not good enough for a title challenge in the championship, I hear fans saying we will walk it next season, in comparitive terms relative to divisions we had a much stronger better equipped team to win the division below the last time we were relegated, and we came 3rd and we ended up stuck in that division for 6 seasons.

I'm inclined to agree , for some bizarre reason people seem to think all we need to do is turn up in the championship and it's our title , the team we have now is not as good as Watford , norwich

Totally agree I was saying last June/July that fans were deluded in thinking we could reach europe as there was no pace and no creativity in the side and we had a nucleus of league one and championship players in the team , and it will be the same next season that current side is not good enough for a title challenge in the championship, I hear fans saying we will walk it next season, in comparitive terms relative to divisions we had a much stronger better equipped team to win the division below the last time we were relegated, and we came 3rd and we ended up stuck in that division for 6 seasons.
agree with you on the europe point lots of our fans got totally carried away with that one but do disagree on your point about us not being able to mount a title challenge in the championship next season with this squad of players i think we will

I think we might do well.
If you look at the side we would have.
I can't see anyone trying to sign our players from the Premiership.

The Goalkeeper and defence should be the same with the only possible exception of O'Connell but I can't see anybody rushing to pay the amount of money we would ask for after the injury he's had. That is the defence that got us promoted with the exception of the Goalkeeper. We would also have the two Derby lads who have shown they can do it in the Championship plus RND which in theory should make our defence stronger than last time, certainly regards to cover anyway.

Upfront we will have McBurnie & Brewster plus Sharp & McGoldrick all 4 have been successful in the Championship before, plus we have Mousset(although I wouldn't be totally shocked if Mousset was sold if we can find a buyer) again i cannot see anybody from the Premiership being interested in them.

Now this is the problem area the midfield which has been really poor this season. Berge and Fleck might attract some interest, Lundstram will have gone and I'm really not sure on Norwood, you would like to think he would be excellent like last time but he's been really poor this season.
This is the area we would need to strengthen even if we still had Fleck and Berge.
Which shouldn't be too much of a Problem we would have a bit of money and be a big attraction.

I think we would lose from this seasons squad.
Jags
Rodwell
Lundstram
Ampadu
Plus 1 of the Goalkeepers.
And Possibly Berge, Fleck and Mousset.
My gut feeling is Fleck will still be here and hopefully he can get back to last seasons and the seasons before that standard.
If not we can always pick up the best midfielder in the league who I believe is out of contract at the end of this season.
Only joking we Don't want anymore midfielders who just pass the ball back.

This is like using the theory that because your mates pulled a bird in a nightclub 5 years ago, if you go there you'll do exactly the same.

Sport in the real world certainly doesn't work like that. Maybe on a football forum from fans who eat too many Pot Noodles and play too much FIFA...

Plain and simple - 'why would you want to think as negatively as this'?

Still got faint hopes of staying up this year- and if we go down- we will smash the league next year!!

I can see the comparison in terms of point tally etc. However that Huddersfield side that went down was comprised largely of foreign players on large contracts signed whilst in the prem who refused to play in the champ and so had to be shipped out ASAP and the ones who couldn’t be moved on either phoned it in or didn’t play.

Even then that shouldn’t have been a problem as parachute payments should have allowed Huddersfield to build a new and competitive squad there’s no guarantee they’d have competed but they shouldn’t have tanked like they did. What killed them was their takeover they were bought out on the understanding that the new owner would complete the purchase using the parachute payments. In effect the club had to buy itself for the new owner and thus they were cash strapped at a time they needed to build a new squad this negated the big advantage of relegated teams the parachute money.

This should not happen with us whoever is manager should have access to our parachute money to build a new core group. If this doesn’t happen ie money is taken out of the club then we as a fan base should be furious and proactive in communicating this as the entire point of our wage structure is that the club shouldn’t be in financial problems.

I think we might do well.
If you look at the side we would have.
I can't see anyone trying to sign our players from the Premiership.

The Goalkeeper and defence should be the same with the only possible exception of O'Connell but I can't see anybody rushing to pay the amount of money we would ask for after the injury he's had. That is the defence that got us promoted with the exception of the Goalkeeper. We would also have the two Derby lads who have shown they can do it in the Championship plus RND which in theory should make our defence stronger than last time, certainly regards to cover anyway.

Upfront we will have McBurnie & Brewster plus Sharp & McGoldrick all 4 have been successful in the Championship before, plus we have Mousset(although I wouldn't be totally shocked if Mousset was sold if we can find a buyer) again i cannot see anybody from the Premiership being interested in them.

Now this is the problem area the midfield which has been really poor this season. Berge and Fleck might attract some interest, Lundstram will have gone and I'm really not sure on Norwood, you would like to think he would be excellent like last time but he's been really poor this season.
This is the area we would need to strengthen even if we still had Fleck and Berge.
Which shouldn't be too much of a Problem we would have a bit of money and be a big attraction.

I think we would lose from this seasons squad.
Jags
Rodwell
Lundstram
Ampadu
Plus 1 of the Goalkeepers.
And Possibly Berge, Fleck and Mousset.
My gut feeling is Fleck will still be here and hopefully he can get back to last seasons and the seasons before that standard.
If not we can always pick up the best midfielder in the league who I believe is out of contract at the end of this season.
Only joking we Don't want anymore midfielders who just pass the ball back.
some good points there just wonder if jack rodwell might be good enough for the championship possibly in bashams role if we continue playing 3 at the back other alternative might be play baldock at rcb and put bogle in at rwb having said that i would still like us to go to a back 4 next season people saying egan would be no good in a 4 but it will be the championship and if we can hang on to joc as well think those 2 would be fine in any case just get a besic type holding midfielder to protect them

They started the season playing very defensive football like us and the results were not going for them losing by the odd goal with the occasional thrashing thrown in and very rarely scoring.

Their first two games of the season...

Huddersfield 0 - 3 Chelsea
Man City 6 - 1 Huddersfield

They were relegated after conceding 76 goals.

There are somethings in common with Huddersfield but a lot of differences. They lost their most important player but they also chucked a load of money at the wall in the second season and most of it didn't stick.

I suspect if we go down then we'll neither be promoted nor relegated. Probably somewhere around the play-offs.

Their first two games of the season...

Huddersfield 0 - 3 Chelsea
Man City 6 - 1 Huddersfield

They were relegated after conceding 76 goals.

They'd also got 10 points by game 13....

Not at all similar then.

Thus proving your thread a waste of time.

I've explained the similarities but you've ignored the main points as usual... Seems a very similar situation to me.. I guess we will see how it pans out

I s'pose some people would look at the amount of teams who go down (if we do), dominate the Championship and come back stronger (lots of examples but start with hopeless, helpless devastated Norwich and Bournemouth this season for starters).

Whilst others would assume that we'd go down, keep going, go bust, followed by a nuclear holocaust in which we all dee. Swings and roundabouts innit.

Also Huddersfield we’re getting thrashed in the PL.

Where as virtually every game (excluding Chelsea and Southampton) we play is close and competitive.

Close yes, competitive no. You have to score to be competitive in my book.

The Huddersfield situation (or worse) is my big fear for this team next season (this season is already over in that we are almost certain to be relegated). The squad we have now is our best case scenario for next season, and even with a step down a division there are too many players who are not good enough, or are on the decline.

Close yes, competitive no. You have to score to be competitive in my book.

The Huddersfield situation (or worse) is my big fear for this team next season (this season is already over in that we are almost certain to be relegated). The squad we have now is our best case scenario for next season, and even with a step down a division there are too many players who are not good enough, or are on the decline.
they look not good enough and on the decline because their playing in the premier league the championship is so much poorer only got to look where the 3 relegated sides sit today all 3 were a shambles last season yes 3 or 4 will go but i still think weve got the nucleus and the management team to get us back up first time of asking and another open top tour and piss up outside the town hall in may 2022 utb fto

Back
Top Bottom