How we used to live

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJ Sefton

Live, Laugh, Love
Reaction score
12592426_966821193411939_7709328786397208479_n.jpg

That's weird, I've just posted a picture of him on a Facebook page, in response to a Villa fans photo of him. Trevor Hockey occupying everybody's collective consciousness, and rightly so.

The ORIGINAL Beard :

Dyn Of Brwydr

No gimmicks.

A shirt with no sponsor - Mighty Fine.

Two Legends.

To paraphrase Barry Davies :
"Look at the ball, look at the ball" - that's a "football"

Last edited:
No shin-pads, sleeves rolled up...the player behind him looks an absolute giant!

A no-nonsense number 5 who wont take any shit from any opponent is an essential to any good spine of a team, a couple of players like him would take any team 'kicking and screaming' out of L1 :)

A no-nonsense number 5 who wont take any shit from any opponent is an essential to any good spine of a team, a couple of players like him would take any team 'kicking and screaming' out of L1 :)

The last one we had is now assistant manager at Chesterfield.

The ones we have now are more Costcutter and Aldi than Costacurta and Maldini.

Build from the spine, 100% spot on.

Mr Morgan the mighty i'm guessing?!

Sheff Utd wouldve played Wolves and West Brom a fair bit around the back end of the 70s and into the 80s wouldnt they? They had a couple of 'hard as nails' no 5s, Ally Robertson and Martyn Bennett...both ended up playing for Worcester after theyd finished their league career but by god they still played as if every game was a matter of life or death.

I miss the proper old fashioned number 5..the modern game has killed them off with its namby pamby airy fairy hogwash!

Mr Morgan the mighty i'm guessing?!

Sheff Utd wouldve played Wolves and West Brom a fair bit around the back end of the 70s and into the 80s wouldnt they? They had a couple of 'hard as nails' no 5s, Ally Robertson and Martyn Bennett...both ended up playing for Worcester after theyd finished their league career but by god they still played as if every game was a matter of life or death.

I miss the proper old fashioned number 5..the modern game has killed them off with its namby pamby airy fairy hogwash!

We didn't play WBA or Wolves at all between 1977 and 1984 :)

Damn lol.. You had a few run ins with them not so long ago with Mr Kevin 'clean and innocent' Muscat though :eek:

Indeed. The late seventies and early eighties were when we were previously most shit and bummed around the lower reaches of the 2nd Division, then the third and fourth divisions at a time when WBA and Wolves were solid First Division teams.

We didn't play WBA or Wolves at all between 1977 and 1984 :)
But Ally Robertson played for WBA against the Blades in the early 1970s and played for Wolves against us in that 2-2 draw in May 1989 (he can be seen in the youtube video). Martyn Bennett played for WBA against us when we won 3-0 at the Hawthorns in August 1989

I think it's Man. U. 2 v 0 Blades on Oct. 2 1971. The 'stand under construction' in the background is the Warwick Road end (the stand behind the right-hand goal on telly.) The crowd was a piffling 51,338.

No adverts on shirts - and no badge either for some reason.

Trevor Hockey was the best ball winner that I have ever seen in a United shirt. I once saw him in a game at the lane against Spurs and remember him winning the ball near the centre circle in a tackle between him, Mike England (6ft+) welsh international centre half) and Bobby Smith (or Martin Chivers all 3 were big, burly mountains of men. He went through them both, came out with the ball with the huge Spurs players being knocked over like skittles.

Other great ball winners we had that I rated were Brian Richardson and Monty. The latter was excellent at winning the ball, he just didn't use it well we he won it. Brian was smarter, he knew that he wasn't the best on the ball so he passed it short to Gerry Summers who always tried to make himself available for a short pass.

I think it's Man. U. 2 v 0 Blades on Oct. 2 1971. The 'stand under construction' in the background is the Warwick Road end (the stand behind the right-hand goal on telly.) The crowd was a piffling 51,338.

No adverts on shirts - and no badge either for some reason.
Yes it is. Hockey left us for Norwich by the time we next played at Old Trafford (Easter Monday 1973) and as I said earlier the referee, Keith Walker, had become our secretary by then

John
Trevor Hockey was the best ball winner that I have ever seen in a United shirt. I once saw him in a game at the lane against Spurs and remember him winning the ball near the centre circle in a tackle between him, Mike England (6ft+) welsh international centre half) and Bobby Smith (or Martin Chivers all 3 were big, burly mountains of men. He went through them both, came out with the ball with the huge Spurs players being knocked over like skittles.

Other great ball winners we had that I rated were Brian Richardson and Monty. The latter was excellent at winning the ball, he just didn't use it well we he won it. Brian was smarter, he knew that he wasn't the best on the ball so he passed it short to Gerry Summers who always tried to make himself available for a short pass.

John Harris' immortal instructions to Hockey on signing him.... "Battle hard, win the ball..... give it to Currie".

Yes it is. Hockey left us for Norwich by the time we next played at Old Trafford (Easter Monday 1973) and as I said earlier the referee, Keith Walker, had become our secretary by then

Bit before my time Silent, but I always wonder why we let Hockey go? I know he went in an exchange deal with Jim Bone but seems strange to me to let such an important player go, bearing in mind there wasn't a huge fee involved. I can't work out who really fulfilled that role when he left, Keith Eddy?

The other stand (behind Colquhoun) is now the 'Sir Alex Ferguson' (North) Stand. I remember doing an exhibition at OT around 1990-91. We were in the Stretford End and an official let us go into one of the exec. boxes. The North Stand was being extended skywards. I saw a tower crane hoisting a huge bucket up and, inside the bucket, were four guys getting a lift atop. I couldn't believe how high the stand was and asked the official if the plan was to eventually raise the other three sides up to that height. He replied something along the lines of 'Don't be so fucking stupid. The ground would hold about 70 thou!'...

Me and some mates were in the bottom tier of that stand for the 2003 semi v. Arsenal/Graham Poll and, for a laugh, I decided to take the stairs up to the very top tier (198 steps). I don't know if they still do it, but back then tickets for that top tier had 'vertigo' warnings on them - not just for the height but the very steep angle the seats are at. I'll leave you with a Man. U/Old Trafford joke:

A bloke wins his office raffle and his prize is a seat at Old Trafford. Come the day of the match, he's all excited as he makes his way to his seat. When he finally gets there, he's well pissed off. It's right up in the Gods and the players look like Subbuteo. Looking round, and with kick-off approaching, he spots an empty seat about 20 rows back, right on the halfway line and decides to try his luck. He gets all the way down and says to the bloke sat next to the empty seat,

"Excuse me, but is this seat taken?"
"No mate. Help yourself."
"Do you know why this seat isn't taken?"
"Sure, mate. It used to be my wife's, but she's passed away."
"Oh I'm sorry to hear that, but haven't you got any friends or relatives who could have used the seat?"
"Nah, mate. They're all at the funeral." :D

John

John Harris' immortal instructions to Hockey on signing him.... "Battle hard, win the ball..... give it to Currie".
Very similar to Clough Snr's 'your job is to win the ball and give it to someone who can play'.

Bit before my time Silent, but I always wonder why we let Hockey go? I know he went in an exchange deal with Jim Bone but seems strange to me to let such an important player go, bearing in mind there wasn't a huge fee involved. I can't work out who really fulfilled that role when he left, Keith Eddy?

How long, precisely, have you been watching United? :D

Back
Top Bottom