How to watch games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lets try this differently and see if you can see where I'm coming from.
The 30,000 that attend matches at Bramall lane arn't watching sky or any other braodcaster.
Therefore SUFC streaming which is to members only i.e. season ticket holders or persons with a club number that purchase tickets on the day are permitted to watch it. The people that purchase day tickets would pay a subscription the season ticket holders get it for free.
Sky or any other broadcaster wouldn't therefore lose a single viewer in comparison to a none caronavirus situation. Therefore for the home games the club could pay a nominal fee to the broadcasters (for spectators the broadcaster would not have normally got).
For away games they could charge pro rata what they normally charge a pub based on the numbers of people watching in a pub normally around 30 folk (usually three in my local me, my son and the dog). So divided the per game revenue from a pub by 30 (or whatever the average is) then charge the number of streamers on SUTV that amount. This way the club will know what to charge anyone who does not have sky how much to pay for a match streamed.
Does that help?
I think the £6mil is for the rest of the world, I doubt they all have SUTV or SUFC customer numbers.

Lets try this differently and see if you can see where I'm coming from.
The 30,000 that attend matches at Bramall lane arn't watching sky or any other braodcaster.
Therefore SUFC streaming which is to members only i.e. season ticket holders or persons with a club number that purchase tickets on the day are permitted to watch it. The people that purchase day tickets would pay a subscription the season ticket holders get it for free.
Sky or any other broadcaster wouldn't therefore lose a single viewer in comparison to a none caronavirus situation. Therefore for the home games the club could pay a nominal fee to the broadcasters (for spectators the broadcaster would not have normally got).
For away games they could charge pro rata what they normally charge a pub based on the numbers of people watching in a pub normally around 30 folk (usually three in my local me, my son and the dog). So divided the per game revenue from a pub by 30 (or whatever the average is) then charge the number of streamers on SUTV that amount. This way the club will know what to charge anyone who does not have sky how much to pay for a match streamed.
Does that help?
I think the £6mil is for the rest of the world, I doubt they all have SUTV or SUFC customer numbers.

I appreciate where you are coming from (I was half joking) but you have to remember it's a collective agreement. That means you'd need every club (via the Premier League) to agree to it.

So you're not talking about giving 30,000 people "free" access to games, you're talking about giving access to a million people (plus their families, and potentially their friends, and neighbours, and whoever else they can fit around a TV despite lockdown).

The other thing is that pretty much everyone has either cancelled or paused their TV sports subscriptions. Where's the incentive to resubscribe if you can watch your own team play for free? For all the posturing on the "season ticket" refund threads this (TV money dropping) is the biggest threat to football clubs.

I believe the government did say they wanted the majority of games to be on free-to-air channels? I guess it was discussed and rejected?

I appreciate where you are coming from (I was half joking) but you have to remember it's a collective agreement. That means you'd need every club (via the Premier League) to agree to it.

So you're not talking about giving 30,000 people "free" access to games, you're talking about giving access to a million people (plus their families, and potentially their friends, and neighbours, and whoever else they can fit around a TV despite lockdown).

The other thing is that pretty much everyone has either cancelled or paused their TV sports subscriptions. Where's the incentive to resubscribe if you can watch your own team play for free? For all the posturing on the "season ticket" refund threads this (TV money dropping) is the biggest threat to football clubs.

I believe the government did say they wanted the majority of games to be on free-to-air channels? I guess it was discussed and rejected?
If thy are worried people will multi watch and therefore risking contamination, I would suggest it is worse by letting less people have access to it. Those with access will be inundated with requests from friends, family and friends of friends to watch it. By making it exclusive (bar the free to air) is going to create more problems than less. If the broadcasters (BBC aside) allow Club streaming, which has the control of club recognition, there is less chance of groups watching the same TV.
E.G I do not have sky I do have a season ticket, if sky now make me pay to watch that match I may be tempted to ask a friend as I no longer can get to the match or nip to the pub.
Secondly they would get money from the clubs in forms of subscriptions for the away games. Home games should be nominal however with a limit of the ground capacity.

If thy are worried people will multi watch and therefore risking contamination, I would suggest it is worse by letting less people have access to it. Those with access will be inundated with requests from friends, family and friends of friends to watch it. By making it exclusive (bar the free to air) is going to create more problems than less. If the broadcasters (BBC aside) allow Club streaming, which has the control of club recognition, there is less chance of groups watching the same TV.
E.G I do not have sky I do have a season ticket, if sky now make me pay to watch that match I may be tempted to ask a friend as I no longer can get to the match or nip to the pub.
Secondly they would get money from the clubs in forms of subscriptions for the away games. Home games should be nominal however with a limit of the ground capacity.

All these ideas are pointless in my opinion, we're talking about providing a new platform for 10 league matches and a maximum of an additional 3 cup matches, when all the matches are going to be broadcast on TV/Websites/Apps anyway.

It will be far easier for the club just to provide refunds on season tickets (or a credit towards next season) and let the fans sort themselves out. Not every fan will want or need the club to provide a stream via the website.

We/football clubs don't have the servers for streaming live games on their own, Man U and Liverpool maybe via their TV channels.

We had iFollow last season, but that was provided by a third party.

Any streaming service would have to be something the Premier League create, sort of like F1 TV. It'd cost a shitload, it'd disrupt the money from TV deals too but that may be something that's looked into once the season is complete and there's time to launch it (if fans look unlikely for a while, they'll need to offer something), at the moment though, the best they could do is quicker full match replays if you wanted to avoid the result, or some kind of access for NowTV or BT sport via a club specific login, but that sounds like a massive ballache too.

If Leeds United can do it for £9.99 a match pretty sure we could. Only hope its better than the 720p picture they put out.

Every game is being shown by broadcasters who pump billions into the sport. I'd be surprised if they changed that formula right now.

On average, each and every game played in the Premier League is worth nearly £6,000,000 from domestic and international TV markets.

How much do you suggest the club offers them to give up their broadcast rights?

Every game Sky has costs them circa £9m as per the current deal. This is down from £11m on the last deal. As you say they're not going to give that up and just stand aside or give up any of their rights although nor should they.

It's a piss poor alternative and i'm going to hate not being there... But testing begins...

IMG_20200601_210930.jpg

Seems like the Amazon games will be free as well

That's good because their coverage is the one I wouldn't pay for, fookin' shite.

Never forgiven for having a pissed up and perhaps lobotomised Chris Waddle doing the "expert analysis" on our game against Newcastle.

Have they announced yet which games will be on which platform? And more to the point, which games will be on which dates?

So, with the fantastic news about the restart, next question is how to watch them.
It seems like they are going to be split between Sky, BBC, BT and Amazon. Sky having the lions share obviously, some free to air.
But with pubs shut, it will still be tricky unless you have subscriptions to everything.
Wonder if the clubs will do streams for season ticket holders??
Any ideas or more info anyone??
Not sure if true, but, season ticket holders are able to view on Blades TV

Back
Top Bottom