How to solve the football calendar's problem

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Finish this season whenever this blows over, play the euros after that and then for next season shorten it by just having each team play each other once. Draw whether you're at home or away randomly.

JUST FINISH THIS SEASON WHEN POSSIBLE. END OF. However long it takes,none of this drawing straws,null & voiding at all. Just finish it whenever possible. Put everything on hold until then. It’s not that hard to do. & fuck teams like Spurs,West Ham,Norwich,Villa,Bournemouth,Watford & anyone else who’s having a bad season. They dont get a get out clause. It’s annoying to say the least.

Last edited:
Yep, well no way will this season finish until we are 100% safe.

My take is this:

1. Once it is safe to play again, you play the season to a finish properly. No rushed finish, no null and void, no points per game or pools panel predictions. You get to 38 matches as soon as it is safe to do so. That way everyone finishes where they deserve to. You complete the FA Cup and lastly, you complete the European competitions. Just do it properly. Start truncating them or taking short cuts and you devalue the competition. I think we've seen with first the League Cup then the FA Cup that once you devalue a competition it is hard to undo. Don't make a shitshow of the 2019/20 season in favour of the 2020/21 season. What's the bloody rush? The current season which is already underway is far more important than any future one.

2. Very much depending on that date, you schedule the Euros. It must already be a given that they will not take place this year. Communicate that early. Then depending on timing, the Euros can move to next summer. It may be better in summer because the virus thrives less well in warm weather so medically summer 2021 may be best. Give consideration whether to reduce the host countries to make it more manageable.

3. Extend player contracts until the season ends if this elapses 30th June. This avoiding chaos and giving players and clubs time to resolve their futures.

4. Have a break of around 6-7 weeks before the season starts. Enough time for 3 weeks of R&R, 3 weeks or pre-season prep work and managers get 6-7 weeks to fine tune their squads. It means less rest than usual for the players but they will have just had a decent rest in the current break period, around a month, so will be no worse off and will effectively be coming into the post season on he back of a 10 game season in most cases as opposed to the relentless 38 + cups or 46 + cups. Yes they won't have had a holiday in the true sense but that applies to everyone.

5. Instead of having a break in the European competition between group and knockout stages, push it back to later in the season calendar i.e. don't break about November and start again in February. This way you further reduce issues with travel to other countries.

5. Allow the Euros to take place around August time and then start the 2021/22 season in September / October.

6. Freeze the Nation's League friendlies and do away with international friendly breaks. These can come again in 2022. There's already a big tournament in 2021 in this case and potentially a world cup in 2022 so really no need to push for more international football. Depending on timing, there could be consideration to move the World Cup to 2023 if there is a domino effect and the calendars need more time to complete but I'd certainly consider parking the Nation's League. It is a new thing and not on par with Euros or World Cup.

7. Transfer windows to follow the season i.e. after it finishes and relative midpoint rather than trying down actual months at this stage.

8. Ensure in the Championship this down time is used to resolve the P&S cases. You don't need further delays through legal arguments, so fix dates and apply the punishments this season allowing the teams to deal with their fate in the remaining matches if possible. Set out clear punishments in line with infractions so future breaches are easily dealt with by consulting the rule books.

Phew.
UTB

My take is this:

1. Once it is safe to play again, you play the season to a finish properly. No rushed finish, no null and void, no points per game or pools panel predictions. You get to 38 matches as soon as it is safe to do so. That way everyone finishes where they deserve to. You complete the FA Cup and lastly, you complete the European competitions. Just do it properly. Start truncating them or taking short cuts and you devalue the competition. I think we've seen with first the League Cup then the FA Cup that once you devalue a competition it is hard to undo. Don't make a shitshow of the 2019/20 season in favour of the 2020/21 season. What's the bloody rush? The current season which is already underway is far more important than any future one.

2. Very much depending on that date, you schedule the Euros. It must already be a given that they will not take place this year. Communicate that early. Then depending on timing, the Euros can move to next summer. It may be better in summer because the virus thrives less well in warm weather so medically summer 2021 may be best. Give consideration whether to reduce the host countries to make it more manageable.

3. Extend player contracts until the season ends if this elapses 30th June. This avoiding chaos and giving players and clubs time to resolve their futures.

4. Have a break of around 6-7 weeks before the season starts. Enough time for 3 weeks of R&R, 3 weeks or pre-season prep work and managers get 6-7 weeks to fine tune their squads. It means less rest than usual for the players but they will have just had a decent rest in the current break period, around a month, so will be no worse off and will effectively be coming into the post season on he back of a 10 game season in most cases as opposed to the relentless 38 + cups or 46 + cups. Yes they won't have had a holiday in the true sense but that applies to everyone.

5. Instead of having a break in the European competition between group and knockout stages, push it back to later in the season calendar i.e. don't break about November and start again in February. This way you further reduce issues with travel to other countries.

5. Allow the Euros to take place around August time and then start the 2021/22 season in September / October.

6. Freeze the Nation's League friendlies and do away with international friendly breaks. These can come again in 2022. There's already a big tournament in 2021 in this case and potentially a world cup in 2022 so really no need to push for more international football. Depending on timing, there could be consideration to move the World Cup to 2023 if there is a domino effect and the calendars need more time to complete but I'd certainly consider parking the Nation's League. It is a new thing and not on par with Euros or World Cup.

7. Transfer windows to follow the season i.e. after it finishes and relative midpoint rather than trying down actual months at this stage.

8. Ensure in the Championship this down time is used to resolve the P&S cases. You don't need further delays through legal arguments, so fix dates and apply the punishments this season allowing the teams to deal with their fate in the remaining matches if possible. Set out clear punishments in line with infractions so future breaches are easily dealt with by consulting the rule books.

Phew.
UTB
A lot of common sense in that , which could be the stumbling block ..........

I think they will finish the season, behind closed doors if necessary, but it may take well into September / October to do so. There would seem to be little point starting a new League season then especially as we will probably be starting to see the spike of the second wave Of Covid as Autumn And winter closes in.

i think they will put a stop to Football again then until the spring when hopefully a vaccine is available, the Euros in the summer of 2021 and a full new season in August 21 to start.

If the season eventually resumes, I would expect that the first two fixtures will be Man City v Arsenal and Villa v Blades before we move on to the week 30 fixtures.

Not sure how the FA Cup, CL and Europa League fixtures would fit in? Maybe after all the leagues in Europe have completed their fixtures?

Or
we finish this season when we can, hopefully this year, say in October and then start next season in, say, February 2021 completing in March 2022.
Following season starts as usual in August 2022

I think they will finish the season, behind closed doors if necessary, but it may take well into September / October to do so. There would seem to be little point starting a new League season then especially as we will probably be starting to see the spike of the second wave Of Covid as Autumn And winter closes in.

i think they will put a stop to Football again then until the spring when hopefully a vaccine is available, the Euros in the summer of 2021 and a full new season in August 21 to start.

I've genuinely only just seen this as I hadn't read the entire thread before posting. Very similar thoughts on when this season might end

Back
Top Bottom