how much would past great players be worth now ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Apologies if a similar thread has been posted but couldnt remember a similar one !

What do you think some of our past greats would be worth in this money mad football world we now live in where bang average players are bought for a fortune ?!

Deano,- £40-50 mill ?
Currie - £60 mill ?
Woodward - £55 mil ?
Whitehouse - £20-30 mil ?
Alan Kelly/ Simon Tracey - £30mil ?

whats everyones thoughts ?

Apologies if a similar thread has been posted but couldnt remember a similar one !

What do you think some of our past greats would be worth in this money mad football world we now live in where bang average players are bought for a fortune ?!

Deano,- £40-50 mill ?
Currie - £60 mill ?
Woodward - £55 mil ?

To the agents, board s and investors thrice as much as long as they get their cut, in their pockets , to the supporter , the price of a season ticket..

Deano,- £40-50 mill ?
Currie - £60 mill ?
Woodward - £55 mil ?

The suggestion that Tony Currie in his pomp would be worth substantially less than Harry Maguire is simply ridiculous.

He would be worth a nine-figure sum and would be the subject of a bidding war between the likes of Real, Barcelona and PSG.

Can only comment on those I’ve seen. 80s onwards.

And being perfectly honest....up to this season the biggest asset we’ve had who would be gold dust in the prem now would be that Brian Deane in his Heyday.

Yes we’ve had some good players, but generally those who were on their way down and who’s played at the top, or who were suited to the Bassett system.
Even those who were in the premier league last time at their best would be championship players now IMHO. (Jags excluded obvs)
But Deane....so awkward, more skilful than given credit, a good finisher, and run all day....would be a £40m pound player now if Oli is 20!
A young Jags going back 12 years would also be worth a few bob. He’s certainly a country mile better than that lad Keane who somehow gets a game for England.

Deano,- £40-50 mill ?
Currie - £60 mill ?
Woodward - £55 mil ?

Tony Currie was a far better player than Paul Pogba is or ever will be and according to Manure the latter is worth a minimum of £ 120 mill .

Two truly great players were not mentioned , i.e . Jimmy Hagan and Joe Shaw . To arrive at a valuation for the former it should be noted that the Pigs were prepared to break the British transfer record to take him to the sty .

As for Joe , and based on the fact that Harry Maguire fetched £ 75 mill , I wouldn't know where to start .

All I do know is that , had he been on the pitch last night in place of either of the centre halves , we would almost certainly not have conceded a single goal . He was that good .

Well, considering non of the past greats could compete physically with the modern footballer I’d say they wouldn’t be worth as much as you would think.
🎣

Eddie Colquhoun 45 mill. Tom McCallister 35 mill Vinnie Jones....250,000!

I'd agree that Deane would be worth about 40 million, I did have a quick look at his stats and as much as I'd thought he'd hit 20 a season he never did, he was more a 3 games to a goal player.

If Maguire is worth nearly £80m now, how much would a young up and coming Paul McGrath be in todays football. The man could have played with a fine cigar and a cognac in his hand and not been troubled such was his ability in gliding around clearing everything up with the minimum of fuss and hardly breaking sweat.

To watch him was to watch a masterclass in the art of defending...and all this when his knees had just about packed up. Just how bloody good must he have been in his prime....? He would have cost a fortune to buy these days. Fabulous player.

Jostein Flo - would be a £12 - £15 mil player based on the fact he scored 9 goals for a poor team in a relegation season and was a regular international for Norway who were decent at the time.

Roger Nielsen - £15mil as above but without the goals.

Alan Kelly - £20 million easily.

Jags - £40 mil based on the age we sold him and how good he was (in fact that might be way below his value given the palace lad went for £50mil)

Tonge - £20 mil

Whitehouse - £25 mil

At today's prices, Dean Hammond would be worth at least.........

.......er.........

I'll get my coat.

Whitehouse seems very undervalued. Hard working left winger who could have played as a LWB in a modern side, goals and assists in the top flight, when he was 21/22.

If Declan Rice is apparently on Man United's radar for £90m, then some of the mentioned names should be double that
If Declan Rice is worth a quarter of that, I'd eat a plate of my own shit, with a blue n white fork!!!

Back
Top Bottom