Hooligans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BiggerBladeThanThou

Reaction score
Alright alright alright, calm down. I'm not a hooligan sympathiser. I'm just interested, whilst not condoning what they do. Call it a PHD sort of interest.

This topic came back into my mindset after our away trip to Boro. NONE of our lads at Boro were what I would call 'hooligans' - they were simply excitable pissed up Blades pissed off at 6yrs in League One. In some ways, they were less than hooligans in that they spat at kids and attacked areas where families were. Hooligans don't do that.

Anyway, to my point. I've just seen some videos of the Hadjuk Split fans at Everton and the Euros lives long in the memory having been out in Marseille for the Russia game.

England don't have any hooligans anymore.

This a completely objective post not designed to promote hooliganism. This is an objective view point on the decline of actual hooliganism in this country and that is a good thing. But why is this? CCTV and not being worth losing your job for are valid reasons. But culturally, societally, have we lost abit of testosterone because of the western way of living?

I ask this, because English fans abroad will be weak targets wherever we go. We've seen it this season at Burnley, potentially at Everton and certainly at the Euros. Our police and government have made it impossible for proper hooliganism to exist (again a good thing) but English fans travelling to places like Russia, Split etc will be a safety risk and as we all say, no one should go to a game and come home in a bag.

Last edited:

This a completely objective post not designed to promote hooliganism. This is n objective view point on the decline of actual hooliganism in this country and that is a good thing. But why is this?
More people have realised it's a dumb thing to do

Alright alright alright, calm down. I'm not a hooligan sympathiser. I'm just interested, whilst not condoning what they do. Call it a PHD sort of interest.

This topic came back into my mindset after our away trip to Boro. NONE of our lads at Boro were what I would call 'hooligans' - they were simply excitable pissed up Blades pissed off at 6yrs in League One. In some ways, they were less than hooligans in that they spat at kids and attacked areas where families were. Hooligans don't do that.

Anyway, to my point. I've just seen some videos of the Hadjuk Split fans at Everton and the Euros lives long in the memory having been out in Marseille for the Russia game.

This a completely objective post not designed to promote hooliganism. This is an objective view point on the decline of actual hooliganism in this country and that is a good thing. But why is this? CCTV and not being worth losing your job for are valid reasons. But culturally, societally, have we lost abit of testosterone because of the western way of living?

I ask this, because English fans abroad will be weak targets wherever we go. We've seen it this season at Burnley, potentially at Everton and certainly at the Euros. Our police and government have made it impossible for proper hooliganism to exist (again a good thing) but English fans travelling to places like Russia, Split etc will be a safety risk and as we all say, no one should go to a game and come home in a bag.

People have lost their bottle.

Not sure being excitable and being pissed off at 6 years in League 1 is any excuse for acting like a twat, especially after such a good season and promotion.

Reacting to provocation is one thing, unfortunately we have a younger element now who as you rightly say aren't what you would class as proper football hooligans, but are more anti social vandals.

The wider issue is that in this country we've largely clamped down on the known offenders, or frankly people have got old.

The newer breed in my experience tend to want social media likes through fucking about as opposed to the old skool who wanted newspaper headlines and column inches for disorder and violence to enhance their rep.

Have people realised it's a dumb thing to do??? Really?? People still act up all over the country every weekend. However, the difference is, they don't actually fight, they show off for social media.

Is this what the youngsters are all about? As someone said, have they lost (or never had) bottle to actually fight? Is this because of this current western society?

Have people realised it's a dumb thing to do??? Really?? People still act up all over the country every weekend. However, the difference is, they don't actually fight, they show off for social media.

Is this what the youngsters are all about? As someone said, have they lost (or never had) bottle to actually fight? Is this because of this current western society?
I said more people have realised it's a dumb thing to do

default_NRhTp24.png

There's no real difference than there ever has been to be fair, your eather the type of person that will stand your ground and return whatever your dealt, or the person that walks/runs away, there has always been the 2 types of fans, no disrespect to anyone, were all different.
If you get attacked then your options are limited to standing your ground or making ground, it all comes down to whether you can get away or not.
What is a major contributing factor to any of this, is the pop, English fans, and to be fair, most football fans, like a few beers, get us in the sunshine with the lads and it's abit more than a few, but hay ho.
Anyway, on the up side, I've never in my time of going to football, been on the side that's started any trouble!, ok the chanting can get out of hand abit, but the first strike has always come from the opposing faction.
English fans get some serious stick for causing trouble, when in fact, and in reality, our actual main fault, is that we don't back down very easily, we stand and fight and everyone knows that, thats why everyehere we go, the 5-0 are over the top and make us out fo be the trouble with football.

NONE of our lads at Boro were what I would call 'hooligans' - they were simply excitable pissed up Blades pissed off at 6yrs in League One.

So being pissed off at 6 years in league one means the first away game in the championship you go causing havoc? You'd think they'd have realised they weren't watching league one football anymore and cheer the fuck up a bit wouldn't you?
You go to some lengths to stress you are not a hooligan sympathiser but a fuckwit sympathiser you clearly are if you think that they wEre so pissed up and excitable that they thought we were still in league one. If that's PHD thinking I'd love to read your MA.

Are the kids now acting up to honour the memory of hooligans in some sort of weird loyalty to them? A way of keeping alive the memory of when we 'did' Liverpool's firm or whatever.....

*Shrugs*

It's all ballcocks anyway. If you have pent up aggression and need to vent it, go boxing and fight for a boxing club you can identify with. If you want to take charlie and act like a knob do it in somebody's house with like minded knobs. If you want to support SUFC come along and shout and scream and cheer and jump about excitedly (or shout and scream and sulk) do that, but don't mix all these things with families and kids and old folk.

There's a time and place for everything - the match is the time and place for supporting SUFC.

All a bunch of base level, knuckle-dragging pricks in my humble.

The hoolies we knew back in the day were monstrous blokes who would go round, confront, get waded in and come away battered. This isn't hero worship - at the time they were revered but now to me with the benefit of hindsight and maturity they are as pointless as the bellends who smash up away facilities and show want for a dust up these days. There's a great conduit to show such bravado against people not aligned to your thoughts and beliefs. In fact, the government licenses it and gives you permission to don body armour, carry a rifle and kill in their name if need be. It's the Army. You won't find these no-marks anywhere near the real front line because as much as people slag the infantry units off for being brain dead cannon fodder, they possess more intelligence and integrity than the shower of dickless feeds who claim to represent the club and make the name of Sheffield United smell like dogshit because their lives are empty and meaningless.

Fuck them and the Transit Van they go to games in.

pommpey

Ca
All a bunch of base level, knuckle-dragging pricks in my humble.

The hoolies we knew back in the day were monstrous blokes who would go round, confront, get waded in and come away battered. This isn't hero worship - at the time they were revered but now to me with the benefit of hindsight and maturity they are as pointless as the bellends who smash up away facilities and show want for a dust up these days. There's a great conduit to show such bravado against people not aligned to your thoughts and beliefs. In fact, the government licenses it and gives you permission to don body armour, carry a rifle and kill in their name if need be. It's the Army. You won't find these no-marks anywhere near the real front line because as much as people slag the infantry units off for being brain dead cannon fodder, they possess more intelligence and integrity than the shower of dickless feeds who claim to represent the club and make the name of Sheffield United smell like dogshit because their lives are empty and meaningless.

Fuck them and the Transit Van they go to games in.

pommpey
can I only hit the like button once? Pah....

Best way to stop idiots from making kids cry and spoiling the game is to bang guilty parties up for 10 years minimum, no parole.

I was at Marseille for the Russia game last summer and also in 98 when we played Tunisia in WC 98. There's still plenty of English fans willing to mix it although I feel the Russians were the aggressors.

Up at Boro I felt the late k off added to the issues and both set of fans have history, so it was,I'm afraid predictable.

Down in Cardiff I was apprehensive, remembering how Ninnan Park was. I had my kids with me and as a night game felt it may get "tricky". Thankfully no issues.

I'll off to the Malta game and expect no issues due to their close links with the British.

No place for this aggression but thankfully far less than 70/80's. Afraid it will never totally disappear.

Surely England fans have been a target because of the long history of English hooligans. If we don't have any anymore, we will cease to be a target. Did anyone target the Icelandic fans at the Euros?

We are the prime target due to our historic rep. We could put a good crew out if banning orders were not in force but the truth is the eastern europeans are light years ahead. They are badass motherfuckers from societies and lifestyles were cruelty,violence and amorality are king.

The above are observations,not endorsements.

What exactly is a "Good Crew?"

One that can hold it's ground and take on one with a strong rep.

FYI this is a thread about the culture and context of hooiganism around football. Not a glorification of it. Thought I'd made that abundantly clear in my first contribution to the conversation.

I've often wondered why many more people don't get banning orders, then I remember that they generate cash for their clubs

One that can hold it's ground and take on one with a strong rep.

FYI this is a thread about the culture and context of hooiganism around football. Not a glorification of it. Thought I'd made that abundantly clear in my first contribution to the conversation.
To be fair to Bert, the word 'good' usually indicates approval.

I'd be interested in your definition of hooligans?

I think if a bunch of testosterone charged males want to have a gang punch up with other like minded folk that's one thing. But the moment you start bringing others into it and causing trauma to children and others who want no part in it that's sub-human behaviour.

It's the lowest of the low.

You describe some of our fans as not hooligans but "excitable pissed up fans pissed off at 6 years in League 1". That to me is no excuse whatsoever.

Desmond Morris described it when he spoke of "the football tribe" and its "invasion" mentality. I'm afraid that when some fans travel they behave in a way that is similar to an invading army. They feel anonymous and at liberty to do what they want. They lose any sense of personal responsibility and decency. They don't consider for one moment that the people they are traumatising could be their own brothers, sisters, parents, grandparents, children, and how they would feel if someone was doing that to their own?

One tactic of armies during war is to consider the enemy as sub-human and therefore worthless of respect. Nazi Germany is a good example of that, but there are many others.

If you allow yourself to get caught up in such beliefs and behaviour then you are on the way to being sub-human yourself and deserve all the grief that is coming to you.

And I hope it's plenty because Blade or not, these folks are not "supporters" of the club, they are the opposite of that, and "hooligan" doesn't describe it adequately, "scum" is much nearer the mark.

We are the prime target due to our historic rep. We could put a good crew out if banning orders were not in force but the truth is the eastern europeans are light years ahead. They are badass motherfuckers from societies and lifestyles were cruelty,violence and amorality are king.

The above are observations,not endorsements.
And in Russia's case, highly trained MMA style squads if the last Euros are anything to go by.

Get hold of the book " Knowing the Score", an academic work by, coincidentally, a Sheffield United supporter. He takes, primarily a sociological, social anthropological look at what makes these people tick, where they come from, why they do it etc

Author is called Armstrong. He probably comes on here

Back
Top Bottom