Homegrown player rule

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Addison

Reaction score
From next season EFL clubs will be required to include at least 1 homegrown player in their match day squads. Billy and Brooks meet the criteria but if they are not available who is going to take their place?

Does this restrict us in sending youngsters out on loan and so hamper their development? Will the likes of Eastwood, Semple and Slater be part of the first team squad from next season to provide cover. All very interesting.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...rown-rule-requirement-club-developed-players/

I haven't seen it mentioned on here for a while. (Forgive me if it has). But, now it looks like Wilder might put the soapbox & megaphone away & gerronnwi it, sign him, spend that, pick him, etc .....
I'll remind everyone of the new EFL Rule for 2018/19. The Club Developed Rule. For every game, each club will have to name one club developed player in their match day squad. Defined as a player registered with the club for at least 12 months before the end of their U19 Season. If they can't/don't, they'll only be able to name 6 subs, not 7.

Now look, I'm not a lawyer. And, I'm certainly not going to do a full audit. But, if we sell Brooks, that cuts down our options to meet the rule. If we buy Blackman (and keep Moore), that cuts down our options of using Eastwood or Long to meet the rule. I suspect maybe Sharp, Brooks, Eastwood, Long, Reed, Slater are our current options for meeting the rule. Or six subs...

Jeez Louise - two threads started independently & simultaneously....

Reactions: Dkc
Addison sorry mate, I must have been writing my separate thread at exactly the same time you were posting yours. Sorry

How do you define home grown? As in come through the academy?

Home-grown players are defined as players registered at a club in England or Wales for 36 months before their 21stbirthday. The seven players must form part of the match-day starting 11 plus seven substitutes.

A club-developed player is defined as one registered with the club for at least a year before the end of his under-19 season

36 months with club before 21st birthday.

With club for 1 year before end of a season at "under 19" level, that would be their first year as a pro.

It actually means we could sign a young player just before they are 18 years of age from another club who has not come through our academy and would be classed as "club developed".

Six subs instead of seven.
Wow, talk about 'lock them up and thrrow away the key', that really is draconian.

What next, official hard benches to sit on and the sports drinks restricted to only 3 each?

I'm imagining the EFL patting themselves on the back with this massive change to help the national game.

Addison sorry mate, I must have been writing my separate thread at exactly the same time you were posting yours. Sorry

No worries. Is there anyone other than the 3 lads I mentioned that currently warrant first team opportunities?

That's not a great article, WTF does this mean: "The seven players must form part of the match-day starting 11 plus seven substitutes." I can only assume it's referring to something not explained.

It's ok, Wilders home grown.

That's not a great article, WTF does this mean: "The seven players must form part of the match-day starting 11 plus seven substitutes." I can only assume it's referring to something not explained.
I thought the same thing 8lade.

This bit refers to the increase from 6 to 7 home grown players in the match day squad

If we did not have a "club developed" player available to be named in the squad we would only be able to name 6 subs instead of 7, not probably not really an issue

Tom Barclay's article on it, mentions that Newcastle's wage bill last season (championship) was £112 million! Their fans moan at a lack of investment

Reactions: Dkc
I doubt it would effect us. In the rare occasion that sharp and brooks can’t even make the bench, we could just get one of the u21s to sit on the bench

From next season EFL clubs will be required to include at least 1 homegrown player in their match day squads. Billy and Brooks meet the criteria but if they are not available who is going to take their place?

Does this restrict us in sending youngsters out on loan and so hamper their development? Will the likes of Eastwood, Semple and Slater be part of the first team squad from next season to provide cover. All very interesting.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/...rown-rule-requirement-club-developed-players/
Semple will go out on loan at least for 6 months.

The lad needs competitive games Week in week out, where the result matters.

That could be anywhere from L1, L2, National League or even National League North. It is just about playing games after being out for 13 months.

He has come back stronger in my opinion.

The same for Graham, TY Smith and Gilmore. They need proper games.

So they fuck about with the leagues from the championship down yet the Premier league can field whoever they want?

There’s only one league that needs a total reform but because of the money involved in football that ain’t going to happen anytime soon.

No wonder our national side is shite!

Nothing against home grown players, their development should be encouraged, but don't like the principle of clubs being forced to include players in a squad for anything other than their footballing merit.

What next? All clubs need to name a player from a minority in their squad?

No, every player has to be British in the squad otherwise you’re chucked out of the league. We’ll piss the league next season just from out numbering teams on the field of play. :)

Six subs instead of seven.
Wow, talk about 'lock them up and thrrow away the key', that really is draconian.

What next, official hard benches to sit on and the sports drinks restricted to only 3 each?

I'm imagining the EFL patting themselves on the back with this massive change to help the national game.

Whilst the Premier League mop the all up the available players without having to play any of them.

Nothing against home grown players, their development should be encouraged, but don't like the principle of clubs being forced to include players in a squad for anything other than their footballing merit.

But, there always have been & will continue to be rules forcing clubs to include players for things other than footballing merit. Chiefly rules about Nationality. Previously, players from outside the UK & Ireland required work permits. Currently, players from outside the EU require work permits. Post Brexit, there will need to be some rules to control football player immigration.

The rule on the number of Home Grown Players (Home Grown not Club Grown) has been in place since 2009/10. Initially it was 4 in a 16 man match day squad. Subsequently 6 in an 18 man match day squad. That is increasing to 7 next season.

I'm making the point that Clubs have always had to abide by some form of work permit or quota rules to put their squads together.

So they fuck about with the leagues from the championship down yet the Premier league can field whoever they want?

There’s only one league that needs a total reform but because of the money involved in football that ain’t going to happen anytime soon.

No wonder our national side is shite!
No, the Premier League cannot field whoever they like. They also have a Home Grown Player rule, which has been in place since 2010/11. (Albeit a different formulation to the EFL).

Don't like the principle of clubs being forced to include players in a squad for anything other than their footballing merit.

Same, why not have it where homegrown players (or even just british players) get a portion of their wage paid for by the TV money that the EFL gets, that way clubs wont just sign some shite pub league 17 y/o player for the "home grown" rule, it would give an actual incentive to have your better players be home grown/british and get more quality English footballers.

Semple will go out on loan at least for 6 months.

The lad needs competitive games Week in week out, where the result matters.

That could be anywhere from L1, L2, National League or even National League North. It is just about playing games after being out for 13 months.

He has come back stronger in my opinion.

The same for Graham, TY Smith and Gilmore. They need proper games.

He’s a man mountain compared to the lad who got injured

If we don't bring a keeper in, Eastwood is the obvious one.

No, the Premier League cannot field whoever they like. They also have a Home Grown Player rule, which has been in place since 2010/11. (Albeit a different formulation to the EFL).
How does that work then, B_S, because when you look at the Chelsea side for example consisting of Courtois, Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Alonso, Moses, Zappacosta, Kante, Bakayoko, Hazard, Pedro and Morata, I’d hardly call them homegrown mate?

Got to say looking at the Fulham squad, they were sailing close to the wind last season...

Back
Top Bottom