Henderson Hoofing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dean Henderson's Hoofball - Are you a fan of it?

• Total voters

SuperSonicBlade89

Mythic Member
Reaction score
Anyone a fan of this hoofballing from Deano? Because, WOW! What a kick he's got. He even nearly scored against Arsenal other week.

Me personally, I like it occasionally. Particularly when we are winning. Keeps the pressure off the back 3. It's good to mix it up rather than playing from the back all the time. Brighton for example are TERRIBLE from playing from the defence from goal kicks, so slow, they could do with mixing it up with long kicks.

I think maybe our strikers and wing backs could use this long kick to their advantage, knowing that Henderson has that ability and get just a little bit further up the field. Could see us get in behind a bit more with players with pace. Like when Mousett got through on goal, one on one against Chelsea (But keep it simple ffs)

It’s been clear that Wilder has told Hendo not to mess around with passing out from the back - yes that’s not the fashionable way to play but you don’t see us getting caught out - like West Ham did when Martin passed the ball out to Fleck from a goal kick leading to a simple goal for McBusiness.

I’m happy for us to carry on keeping it simple and playing our football ‘in the right areas of the pitch’

Sorry if that makes me sound like a 1970s Sunday league manager.

We're that good without the ball we don't need to fuck about at the back.

Harsh to say his kicking is terrible when he's clearly not allowed to pass it out from the back unless it's an emergency or there's no opponents in our half.

They don't go out of play that often, so it's fine by me. Even if we don't win the ball, it's well in their half and we can pounce on the headed returns or crowd the player collecting it.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.........a couple of mistakes pissing about passing the ball around your own penalty area can be very costly,not worth the risk.

I don't like it but I prefer that to conceding stupid goals like Brighton did against Liverpool. They'd lost the match in the first 10 minutes because of it, crazy.

His pass to teammate ratio is so low I always assumed it was deliberate/tactical? As strange as that sounds, a lot of our goals tend to come from when the opposition have the ball in their own half, we press, win the ball back and create a goal scoring chance.

Maybe we're statistically more likely to score from them having possession in their own half (and us pressing) than building through possession with a short pass from the keeper?

I'm not saying he's deliberately passing to the opposition, he'll be aiming for one our players, more that's he's maybe told "don't worry if you give away possession"?

I think it's certainly something other teams try and force, in the way they stand by him as they know his kicks from his hands often go back to their keeper. He's much more accurate when he puts it on the floor and kicks from there.

I don’t mind us knocking it long but I do feel his distribution is his worst asset. I’m not sure if there are stats available on this but to the eye it seems that a fair percentage of his goal kicks seem to end up out of play.

Maybe we're statistically more likely to score from them having possession in their own half (and us pressing) than building through possession with a short pass from the keeper.

Yeah, that's true thinking about it. Wilder admitted in the run up to the season that a lot of the time we won't have possession of the ball and we'll have to work around it basically. Guess this has worked. I'm pretty sure he's said since League One days that he wants us to be better without the ball.

Back
Top Bottom