Have always thought early crosses are more effective than late crosses.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
That is how Saints have beaten Arsenal today. We need to do more of them. The only goals we have scored from early crosses this season I can think of are Sharp v Hull in League Cup, JOC's header v Villa, Sharp's 2nd v Blackburn and 2nd v Wigan

Thing is, I dont think Billy knows when it is comming in or not, usually not

Trouble is, he has made the run and it fizzles out, and ends up standing next to a 6 footer waiting for what ?

Pity we didn't end up with Robertson on loan from LPool, that lad puts crosses in first time from anywhere

Late crosses just give the defending team more time to prepare hence I agree.

Ultimately, although we play some tremendous football at times we don’t half fuck about with the ball when in very good areas, such as being in a great crossing position whether that be deep or close to the byline.

Trouble is, he has made the run and it fizzles out, and ends up standing next to a 6 footer waiting for what ?

Those who try watching ‘lazy’ Clarke a bit more closely would realise he’s often attempted three different runs before a ball comes in.

As a lad I used to play either wing and loved Peter Beagrie...didnt half wind up the managers "fookin cross it stop fookin about" :D
As I got older and wiser I realised what a twat I'd been and whipped in the cross as soon as poss, which was when I saw people either in or running into the box.

We do fck about with it but there's more of a plan to it than my example above, which was me thinking it was great twisting the full back up. Problem with our plan is that it allows the defence to get into position, so we really do need a creative genius to open them up. We need to mix it up more, keep the oppos guessing, but dont do it enough.

Our delivery from wide areas is often disappointing considering how good the play is up to that point.

I'd also like to see more runs across the front post.

I posted the reason why we don't on another thread and got pelters from one seal for having the temerity to disagree with Wilder.who, when asked why we overplay said it's how he wanted it as it increases the % chance of creating a better opening. Said it in the WBA pre match interview. I suspect in the world of football he's in a minority of 1 on this. I'm 100% with Silent because he's right.
I half expect Goldie to stop and play fucking triangles for 5 minutes on Friday and nearly had a cardiac when he kept going and finished.

Last edited:
I'd agree with the OP, apart from when we start lobbing in crosses from 35 yards out like we used to. Norwood tried one the other night and I am glad we don't do it often.

About 4 or 5 times in the second half v West Brom we had the opportunity to fizz in an early cross but instead went backwards.....we were doing it first half and Didsy in particular went very close, why stop doing something that was looking like it may come off?

The Danny Wilson season 2 special - get it to Tony McMahon 40 yards out and have him swing deep crosses in....

There's a time to cross early and there's a time to keep playing. The players should be the judges of that, rather than consistently sticking to the same old method of overplaying.

It doesn't help that we don't have good crossers, and it is something I'd like us to look at. At RWB in particular, because they're not playing well. We'll be hard pressed to improve on Stevens in January though.

That is how Saints have beaten Arsenal today. We need to do more of them. The only goals we have scored from early crosses this season I can think of are Sharp v Hull in League Cup, JOC's header v Villa, Sharp's 2nd v Blackburn and 2nd v Wigan
Quality crosses are always the best ones... early or late they need to be where the striker wants it and and a quality striker will know where he needs to be.

You can put the ball in early every time, but if its not where the striker is or the defender anticipates the early ball in then you've no chance.

The other day against WBA we were trying the early ball but they were not where the strikers were, the strikers were not moving to the ball or they were getting cut out.

We needed to be more inventive in a very crowded penalty area, perhaps hanging a late cross in at the back post for a late arriving Bash or JOC to meet when McG and Billy had gone in early.

I thought at times Billy and McG were the wrong way around. McG was often hitting the front post, perhaps for a flick that never came, with Billy ready to poach at the far post, when we needed Billy to be meeting the low crosses.

Man Ure in their heavily successful days used to whip early crosses in for strikers OR midfield to run on to. Not all the time but would mix it up. An early cross from 30 yds out for a forard to run in to and glance a header or one/two touch a shot is a beautiful thing to behold and Leon is that kind of striker. Billy more a box fox.

Our wing backs aren't confident or good enough to produce quality crosses on a regular basis ,this is one of the main areas I would like us to look at in January.
I'd like to see Marvin given half a chance first, but not much time left. I think it's ridiculous the stick he has had for trying too hard in his 5 minute cameos.

I think it's ridiculous the stick he has had for trying too hard in his 5 minute cameos.

It's the Blades Way.

Whilst he hasn't been great, you are completely right that he doesn't deserve the stick. He seems to get blamed for not turning a game around single handedly, with two touches of the ball.

Early crosses and crosses from the byeline are the hardest to defend. Crosses from deep are the easiest.

Try but you need quick strikers to get on the end of those crosses.
Sharp and McGoldrick don’t have pace, although Sharp is good at finding space but it relies on a cross directly to his feet, which is easier said than done. If we had quicker and more physical strikers then the crosses wouldn’t need to be so perfect.

Someone above mentioned Man Utd getting a lot of joy from early crosses. The problem is they had David Beckham, one of the best deliveries of crosses in the world. Many say Beckham wasn’t a world great...true....however his free kicks and crosses were some of the best in world football.

We have an issue with quality crosses in that our CBs are putting them in. CBs cannot do the job as well as wingers. We really need the final ball to come in from better quality players - Wing backs should be able to do it but if not then they need replacing. Harsh but very true if we are to progress.

Quality crosses are always the best ones... early or late they need to be where the striker wants it and and a quality striker will know where he needs to be.

You can put the ball in early every time, but if its not where the striker is or the defender anticipates the early ball in then you've no chance.

The other day against WBA we were trying the early ball but they were not where the strikers were, the strikers were not moving to the ball or they were getting cut out.

We needed to be more inventive in a very crowded penalty area, perhaps hanging a late cross in at the back post for a late arriving Bash or JOC to meet when McG and Billy had gone in early.

I thought at times Billy and McG were the wrong way around. McG was often hitting the front post, perhaps for a flick that never came, with Billy ready to poach at the far post, when we needed Billy to be meeting the low crosses.
The quality of crosses is irrelevant to my point. I am saying we should try to play more early crosses because there are more options to cross the ball over the defence and easier for attackers to lose their markers (like Southampton's goals yesterday) also there are less defenders in the box. For late crosses there are more defenders in the box, less options for the crosser and more guesswork for the strikers to decide the height and direction of the cross.

I agree, we need to mix it up a bit with some early crosses. Doesn't have to be every time.
Ideally strikers would be running to meet the ball rather than standing around waiting for it, wrestling the defenders.

The quality of crosses is irrelevant to my point. I am saying we should try to play more early crosses because there are more options to cross the ball over the defence and easier for attackers to lose their markers (like Southampton's goals yesterday) also there are less defenders in the box. For late crosses there are more defenders in the box, less options for the crosser and more guesswork for the strikers to decide the height and direction of the cross.

I disagree, if the quality of the cross is not bang on the money for the striker, then the striker won't be where the cross lands.

There was a lot of criticism of Stevens' crossing last season, but it seems that him and billy have really worked on getting the ball where Billy wants it and he had a result with it.

A great example of quality balls is our third against Wigan. Leon put a brilliant first time ball in and Billy was there, a yard off his man to meet the ball at the back post to send it back where it came from.

Technically, everything was absolutely bang on the money.
Leons Ball
Billy's late run
And the combo of Billy meeting it
If any of the above had been off the ball would've been cut out/ saved or gone whizzing past Billy's foot.

I disagree, if the quality of the cross is not bang on the money for the striker, then the striker won't be where the cross lands.

There was a lot of criticism of Stevens' crossing last season, but it seems that him and billy have really worked on getting the ball where Billy wants it and he had a result with it.

A great example of quality balls is our third against Wigan. Leon put a brilliant first time ball in and Billy was there, a yard off his man to meet the ball at the back post to send it back where it came from.

Technically, everything was absolutely bang on the money.
Leons Ball
Billy's late run
And the combo of Billy meeting it
If any of the above had been off the ball would've been cut out/ saved or gone whizzing past Billy's foot.
My point was about trying to play more early crosses rather than the quality of crosses. Leon's cross to Billy in Wigan game was an early cross not a late one.

My point was about trying to play more early crosses rather than the quality of crosses. Leon's cross to Billy in Wigan game was an early cross not a late one.
Yes, you're absolutely correct that it was an early cross. However, had the quality been poor, it would've been a wasted early cross.

I remember Kev Gage moaned as Leon hit that ball, not because it was a bad idea, but because hitting the ball first time takes some ability to do. As it happened he nailed it.

So early or late, get the cross right and you've got a great chance.

As a team i believe that we try to get the ball in the box early. Its something which i believe is a trait of ours, especially down the right with Freeman or Bash/ Baldock, we try to get the ball in early, but its when sides cotton on to this that we can struggle. It makes the quality even more vital

I agree we need to get crosses in earlier. Too often, we are overplaying the ball with intricate triangles of passes out on the wings, giving defenders ample time to get back into position.
If you think that we're taking our time now, its not that long ago that we had the likes of JCR doing step overs to beat himself to put the ball in a week later.

The triangles you speak of aren't to look pretty, its to find the space to get the right ball in rather than waste possession

Try but you need quick strikers to get on the end of those crosses.
Sharp and McGoldrick don’t have pace, although Sharp is good at finding space but it relies on a cross directly to his feet, which is easier said than done. If we had quicker and more physical strikers then the crosses wouldn’t need to be so perfect.

Someone above mentioned Man Utd getting a lot of joy from early crosses. The problem is they had David Beckham, one of the best deliveries of crosses in the world. Many say Beckham wasn’t a world great...true....however his free kicks and crosses were some of the best in world football.
Dont need pace just a wise head on a striker to find the space. Harry Kane is slower than benny from crossroads but always finds the right place to be.

But they’re interlinked. If a wide player isn’t properly set to play the cross first time they have to take a touch and the chance is gone. We don’t want to go back to the days of Kozzy type crosses disappearing into the kop.

Back
Top Bottom