Pre-Season 17/18 Hallam FC v. Sheffield United XI - 01/08/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WalkelyFan

Reaction score
Can I just remind everyone there is a game tomorrow night at Hallam FC. Should be a good game. I wonder if there is another chance to see David Brooks?

Match thread for tomorrow nights visit to Hallam FC...

I think this will be a mixture of U18s and U23s to be honest.

This is always a decent fixture every preseason.

I'm on the 'Save the Plough' group and we will be running a stall outside.

We need £120k to reopen this unique pub that is integral to the development of the rules of football and the setting up of both Hallam FC and CC. We've raised £90k so far and are selling shares to the community in £250 units, but even loose change in our buckets will be welcome.

Not sure if Grappler can make it and we will have a Stokie in our group too, but we're happy to chat to anyone about the history of the pub, it's current state and our plans for the future.

We need £120k to reopen this unique pub that is integral to the development of the rules of football and the setting up of both Hallam FC and CC. We've raised £90k so far and are selling shares to the community in £250 units, but even loose change in our buckets will be welcome.

Not sure if Grappler can make it and we will have a Stokie in our group too, but we're happy to chat to anyone about the history of the pub, it's current state and our plans for the future.

I should be able to make it tonight.

It's been criminal how Enterprise and Hallam didn't have a symbiotic relationship for many years now. Hope the appeal works. (Not sure if my bank manager does, tho').

It's been criminal how Enterprise and Hallam didn't have a symbiotic relationship for many years now.

Whitbread were pretty good with Hallam granting them a reasonable 100 year lease and sponsoring them. Enterprise don't give a shit and have even fenced off the little car park across the road that Hallam have been using for 30 years. We don't trust Enterprise at all given the way they deliberately ran the pub down to pave the way for Sainsburys. Fortunately with the help of the local community and our Councillors we stopped that, but I half expect Enterprise to have some other 'plan' up their sleeve.

The ground is now on Sheffield Councils 'Heritage Assets' list which gives it some protection, although it is not formally listed elsewhere. In a 2005 mortgage document with Deutsche Bank, Enterprise described the ground as 'development land'. Even our council surely couldn't give planning permission to build on the oldest football ground in the world, could they?

I was under the impression that Hallam owned their ground now, not just the leasehold.
Please could you enlighten me? Thanks in advance

I was under the impression that Hallam owned their ground now, not just the leasehold.
Please could you enlighten me? Thanks in advance

No they don't sadly. Whitbread gave them a 100 year lease in the late 80s so they have 70 odd years left.

Wonder if Ched and Baldock will play. Wilder said last night they were pretty much up to speed. Is Hallam a good place to stick Ched on given the lack of any security? Shouldn't be a problem but people are unpredictable.

Whitbread were pretty good with Hallam granting them a reasonable 100 year lease and sponsoring them. Enterprise don't give a shit and have even fenced off the little car park across the road that Hallam have been using for 30 years. We don't trust Enterprise at all given the way they deliberately ran the pub down to pave the way for Sainsburys. Fortunately with the help of the local community and our Councillors we stopped that, but I half expect Enterprise to have some other 'plan' up their sleeve.

The ground is now on Sheffield Councils 'Heritage Assets' list which gives it some protection, although it is not formally listed elsewhere. In a 2005 mortgage document with Deutsche Bank, Enterprise described the ground as 'development land'. Even our council surely couldn't give planning permission to build on the oldest football ground in the world, could they?
Yes, yes they would, our council dont have a great record when it comes to our old buildigs, I wouldn't put it passed em regrettably

Lundstram is expected to get a run out tonight

Why didnt the local community support the countless lessees that lost their shirts trying to make a living in the pub over many years?

Enterprise are cunts but thats not the issue. I speak as someone who has held several leases with Punch,who are exactly the same so I understand that side of things inside out. Fact remains you didn't support the pub until it was too late.

Would guess Lundstram / Wright / Thomas / Done / Maybe Brayford?

I'm heading down anyway hopefully a few fringe players playing.

Is Hallam a good place to stick Ched on given the lack of any security? Shouldn't be a problem but people are unpredictable.

Yes, the Sandygate crew are worse than Millwall. One of them's bound to run on the pitch and deck Ched, for whatever reason. Maybe you're right, he shouldn't play.

I'd leave him out of the squad for Brentford too, given the lack of armed police in the stadium.

So can you not get a pint at Hallam these days?

Still no ched or baldock.
Wright, brayford, lavery, Brook, lafferty and lundstrom are the first team players involved

Yes, the Sandygate crew are worse than Millwall. One of them's bound to run on the pitch and deck Ched, for whatever reason. Maybe you're right, he shouldn't play.

I'd leave him out of the squad for Brentford too, given the lack of armed police in the stadium.

Oi! Stop dissin' the Lodge Moor Massive.

Why didnt the local community support the countless lessees that lost their shirts trying to make a living in the pub over many years?

Enterprise are cunts but thats not the issue. I speak as someone who has held several leases with Punch,who are exactly the same so I understand that side of things inside out. Fact remains you didn't support the pub until it was too late.

Not so. The Plough was run well until about 15 years ago. Then, Enterprise embarked on a policy of wilful negligence - landlords getting worse with every change in management, often closed with no warning when you've arranged to meet mates, not been cleaned in weeks. Nothing to do with 'not supporting the pub until it was too late'. It was a filthy tip towards the end and prices were still among the highest. I've been going in since 1987 and have put thousands over the bar, but the way they took the piss towards the end meant only a fool would keep chucking £20 - £25 over the bar, especially with a number of decent, well-run pubs nearby.

I look on it like an ex-bird. Had some good times but, in the end, they shat on you.

Back
Top Bottom