Hackford in the squad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brunt did make the first team squad didn't he? Or did I imagine that?

Wilder was quoted only last week saying that none of the youth players are ready yet. I think as fans we probably forget the level needed to play in the Premiership, even just from a physical/athletic point of view.

What are the tiers (sick of that word) Ball_Sup (Phil) mentioned? I assumed it would be,
First Team,
Under 23's
Under 20's
Under 18's
Under 16's etc.

Just with you mentioning Ayari is in our 5th side.
From the pig end
I see that stringer & Wards have already helpfully chipped in. United really only play in three official leagues across the First Team & Academy.
1st Team - Premier League
U23 - Professional Development League North
U18 - Professional Development League North
(& I'll emphasise again, those U23 & U18 are the Third Tier/Division. In each case, there are two divisions above us. We are the only PL club playing at that level, all the others play above us in the two Premier League 2 Divisions).

Pre Covid, the U16s used to play shadow games alongside the U18s. (ie if the U18s are playing Charlton, so do the U16s).

In that sense, Hassan is a regular in our Third XI. But I think the de facto pathway is clear.
U18
U23
EFL/non league/overseas Loans
First Team Shadow Squad (for eg Bryan)
First Team

That's not to say standout players can't jump a level. But, in that sense, Hassan is in the 5th XI.
(In fact in the Carrier Bag Firm Unofficial Roster, because of the large number of U23 players, Hassan is really 6th XI).

"Is he close to the First Team, Phil?"
Well, in terms of skill & ability, let Wilder worry about that instead of what pattern to put the cones out this week.
But, in terms of distance, look at the graphic, miles off

Screenshot_20201219-124758_Docs.jpg

Within the club there is far more genuine excitement about the current crop of U18s than there is the U23s and I think we can expect 3 or 4 of them to progress rapidly and be fast tracked.
Hi Nick Jansky
Your post allows me to delve into something that's been debated in The Carrier Bag Firm High Council recently.

The more you know about a player the more confident you are whether or not he's a Prospect.
If you know very little about a player, he might still become a prospect.

It's harsh, but surely "the club" know all there is to know about Eastwood, Mallon, Slater. They've played loads at U23 & a variety of loans. That doesn't mean they've stopped developing. Or might not come again late. But, there's little to learn about them surely.

Whilst, Ayari & Hackford haven't played many games, even at Academy level - so, they're still bright young thing prospects. That whole dynamic is not unique to Shirecliffe. It's just how it works.

From the pig end
I see that stringer & Wards have already helpfully chipped in. United really only play in three official leagues across the First Team & Academy.
1st Team - Premier League
U23 - Professional Development League North
U18 - Professional Development League North
(& I'll emphasise again, those U23 & U18 are the Third Tier/Division. In each case, there are two divisions above us. We are the only PL club playing at that level, all the others play above us in the two Premier League 2 Divisions).

Pre Covid, the U16s used to play shadow games alongside the U18s. (ie if the U18s are playing Charlton, so do the U16s).

In that sense, Hassan is a regular in our Third XI. But I think the de facto pathway is clear.
U18
U23
EFL/non league/overseas Loans
First Team Shadow Squad (for eg Bryan)
First Team

That's not to say standout players can't jump a level. But, in that sense, Hassan is in the 5th XI.
(In fact in the Carrier Bag Firm Unofficial Roster, because of the large number of U23 players, Hassan is really 6th XI).

"Is he close to the First Team, Phil?"
Well, in terms of skill & ability, let Wilder worry about that instead of what pattern to put the cones out this week.
But, in terms of distance, look at the graphic, miles off

View attachment 101956
That's massively helpful.
I'm a bit embarrassed to say I probably don't follow the Development squads as closely as I should. I just hear the odd name and do a bit of research.
Cheers for that.

Couple of times last season Wilder mentioned a 16 year old who is an exciting prospect and they were looking after him best they can as though they had found a golden egg that they didnt want other teams to poach.

Seeing as we can't fill a bench it's a good time to get kids used to the day/set up even in these weird covid times.

Burke and Brewster up top.
Dids behind them.

Hackford and Moose on if Brewsrer carries on being a passenger.

He may get on the pitch today, given that Mousset cannot last more than an hour. Given the state of our midfield, I'm not sure it will make much difference.

Something wrong with Mousset he has lost his speed.

Might as well give him a go, he likely won't get any service, but we don't currently have any players in the squad who can create something out of nothing, so he's not gonna make things worse

Hi Nick Jansky
Your post allows me to delve into something that's been debated in The Carrier Bag Firm High Council recently.

The more you know about a player the more confident you are whether or not he's a Prospect.
If you know very little about a player, he might still become a prospect.

It's harsh, but surely "the club" know all there is to know about Eastwood, Mallon, Slater. They've played loads at U23 & a variety of loans. That doesn't mean they've stopped developing. Or might not come again late. But, there's little to learn about them surely.

Whilst, Ayari & Hackford haven't played many games, even at Academy level - so, they're still bright young thing prospects. That whole dynamic is not unique to Shirecliffe. It's just how it works.
Hi Phil.

Yes, I get that. The bits I drop out aren’t based on personal observation of players (because I don’t get to personally observe them) but rather from the things I pick up from within the club.

Although of course I do have my favourites and so therefore a degree of bias 😁.

Hi Phil.

Yes, I get that. The bits I drop out aren’t based on personal observation of players (because I don’t get to personally observe them) but rather from the things I pick up from within the club.

Although of course I do have my favourites and so therefore a degree of bias 😁.
Of course. I just love playing around with terminology & definitions. It's harsh, but a number of the players in my "roster" are not going to feature long term in a United First XI, so I wouldn't want to call them "prospects". Take last year, Reece York lead the U23s, scored a load of goals as well. But, (sorry Reece) he was sort of an experienced youngster on his way down, not up. Contrast with say Iliman or Zak Brunt. It felt like they were on the up - even though they didn't play as many games as Reece, nor score as many goals - they were prospects, he wasn't. So, in my mind, most U18s remain prospects.

Back
Top Bottom