Hackford in the squad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From the pig end

Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned on here (twice by me admittedly) and a couple on twitter, but I've just been sent a message now as well.

Hope he is. Doubt he will even get a run out but even just been on the bench will be fantastic to see.

I know last season people frowned upon squad and line up leaks but 1) I'm not ITK and 2) surely that ship has sailed and Palace couldn't give two shits.

I've seen it mentioned on here (twice by me admittedly) and a couple on twitter, but I've just been sent a message now as well.

Hope he is. Doubt he will even get a run out but even just been on the bench will be fantastic to see.

I know last season people frowned upon squad and line up leaks but 1) I'm not ITK and 2) surely that ship has sailed and Palace couldn't give two shits.

Palace might be shitting themselves at an unknown 16 year old starting against them.

All part of the tactic, maybe ;)

The names I hear most from the youth team that are promising and always score or assist is him and Ayari
Iliman Ndiaye (6 goals in 11 starts) & Zak Brunt (5 goals in 7 starts, 1 sub) are the leading scorers for the U23s this season. George Broadbent & Daniel Jebbison also have 3 goals each. Antwoine Hackford has 1 goal from 7 starts. Hassan Ayari, of course, has yet to play for the U23s.
However, at the lower level U18s, Hackford has 2 goals from 3 starts, 1 sub. And Ayari has 10 goals from 9 starts, 1 sub.

Iliman Ndiaye (6 goals in 11 starts) & Zak Brunt (5 goals in 7 starts, 1 sub) are the leading scorers for the U23s this season. George Broadbent & Daniel Jebbison also have 3 goals each. Antwoine Hackford has 1 goal from 7 starts. Hassan Ayari, of course, has yet to play for the U23s.
However, at the lower level U18s, Hackford has 2 goals from 3 starts, 1 sub. And Ayari has 10 goals from 9 starts, 1 sub.
I think I must have been meaning more u18 than under23

I'm guessing they'd have been in the squad for the Burnley game too, had the covid results not been a bit last minute.
Can't see him getting on the pitch, but should be a great experience for him/them.
We definitely need to get better and bringing youth into the team.

Any chance of Ayari yet then?
He did play for the Tunisian under 20s last week didn't he?

He looks really young and small, but they all seem to.

Any chance of Ayari yet then?
He did play for the Tunisian under 20s last week didn't he?

He looks really young and small, but they all seem to.
I haven't seen any of them play since March (no "fan" has). One of the reasons I get the screaming ab dabs when someone posts as if "they've seen a lot of him". I'll say the same thing I always say about Hassan. His stats & YouTube edits are good. But, he's playing in Division 3 U18 Football. Our Academy Staff do not seem to think he's ready for U23 football yet. That's a big jump from Division 3 U18 Football to the Premier League. And he'd be jumping over a lot more & "better' Academy players to do that (as per the U23 Stats). He's playing in United's FIFTH XI at the moment.

My pre season prediction was that Brunt would make the squad once or twice and maybe get a game in the cup. Maybe Ndiaye if things were going better. Neither have spent time away from BL yet though so I’d now be surprised if that now happened. Think Wilder has admitted recently that no one is close and you’d like to think he knows where these lads are at.

My pre season prediction was that Brunt would make the squad once or twice and maybe get a game in the cup. Maybe Ndiaye if things were going better. Neither have spent time away from BL yet though so I’d now be surprised if that now happened. Think Wilder has admitted recently that no one is close and you’d like to think he knows where these lads are at.
Brunt did make the first team squad didn't he? Or did I imagine that?

Wilder was quoted only last week saying that none of the youth players are ready yet. I think as fans we probably forget the level needed to play in the Premiership, even just from a physical/athletic point of view.

What are the tiers (sick of that word) Ball_Sup (Phil) mentioned? I assumed it would be,
First Team,
Under 23's
Under 20's
Under 18's
Under 16's etc.

Just with you mentioning Ayari is in our 5th side.

I haven't seen any of them play since March (no "fan" has). One of the reasons I get the screaming ab dabs when someone posts as if "they've seen a lot of him". I'll say the same thing I always say about Hassan. His stats & YouTube edits are good. But, he's playing in Division 3 U18 Football. Our Academy Staff do not seem to think he's ready for U23 football yet. That's a big jump from Division 3 U18 Football to the Premier League. And he'd be jumping over a lot more & "better' Academy players to do that (as per the U23 Stats). He's playing in United's FIFTH XI at the moment.
Within the club there is far more genuine excitement about the current crop of U18s than there is the U23s and I think we can expect 3 or 4 of them to progress rapidly and be fast tracked.

Brunt did make the first team squad didn't he? Or did I imagine that?

Wilder was quoted only last week saying that none of the youth players are ready yet. I think as fans we probably forget the level needed to play in the Premiership, even just from a physical/athletic point of view.

What are the tiers (sick of that word) Ball_Sup (Phil) mentioned? I assumed it would be,
First Team,
Under 23's
Under 20's
Under 18's
Under 16's etc.

Just with you mentioning Ayari is in our 5th side.
There’s another tier of players out on loan which is why the 23s is so young (Slater, Smith, RND etc)

re: Hackford - He looked very much like a rabbit in the headlights during pre season. No offence to him. Kids that age can mature very quickly but given we have one young multi million pound player who currently looks a fish out of water (Brewster, 4 years older and 20 professional games under his belt) then you can imagine how big a gap it is to bridge.

re: Hackford - He looked very much like a rabbit in the headlights during pre season. No offence to him. Kids that age can mature very quickly but given we have one young multi million pound player who currently looks a fish out of water (Brewster, 4 years older and 20 professional games under his belt) then you can imagine how big a gap it is to bridge.
No I completely get that.
Brewster seems a similar player but is bigger, stronger and more developed.

I'd rather see a young floaty midfielder thrown in instead.

Where did you see him pre season?

I thought he came on for the last 10 minutes against Hearts and looked very lively. I’m guessing he played more than that?

Where did you see him pre season?

I thought he came on for the last 10 minutes against Hearts and looked very lively. I’m guessing he played more than that?
Also played in the home friendly v Preston, got about 20-25 mins from memory.

Also played in the home friendly v Preston, got about 20-25 mins from memory.
Ah right I do remember now, thought he looked ok again myself going from the few seconds I remember seeing him on the highlights. Was this game on blades tv?

Ah right I do remember now, thought he looked ok again myself going from the few seconds I remember seeing him on the highlights. Was this game on blades tv?
It was in that 3 game deal where one got rained off I think.

It was in that 3 game deal where one got rained off I think.
Got you. Missed out on that game then. He looked good on the highlights which I always assumed shown when he got a touch. I’m guessing from the poster above comment he didn’t do too well and indeed was a rabbit in the headlights for his other involvements they didn’t show on the highlights.

The U23 game vs Crewe was streamed on sutv. Hope there will be more, possibly Friday's match vs the pigs, although it's at their place.

I wouldn't risk putting any of these young lads in out first team right now. We could dig out videos of Brewster and Lowe looking class acts in the Championship (a very tough league of experienced pros, not raw teenagers) but stick them in our team and they look like they can hardly do the basics.

An alternative scenario is that we stick them in, they do play well & look the part and then if we get anchored in the Championship we sell them for £5 million and watch them blossom at places like Everton and Bournemouth in 3 years time. I was going to say the alternative is highly unlikely but actually, that would be so Sheff U.

I hate being this negative but that's what this season does to you.

Back
Top Bottom