Ground extentions/Renovations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Prince said in the United way interview the pillers would go if we stay up and wouldn't take long to do. Can anyone remember if the getting rid of the pillers plan included extra seats?
No. It was going to be done for our second year in the PL then Covid hit.

From my view on the kop it looked like the first two rows of the whole BLUT were not used
Just part of the front row was unused which was surprising as the safety net above the away fans has been removed.

Apart from brining the restricted view into the capacity figure and a couple where the pillars are that is it. But it was a fair size project a supportive cantilever beam to reach over the old roof and hold that section up. 4 in total.

I know, you didn't mishear but it was originally planned for 3 years ago though and it won't affect capacity much.......maybe a few new seats.

Thats the bit the Prince said that I didnt really understand.

He did admit in the recent Bladesway interview that regards ground improvements, removal of the pillars was the main priority and he intends to do this soon.
When I heard this I was thinking the current roof is a cheap job fully supported by the pillars, so if you remove the pillars the roof falls down.

Obviously we would need to build a new cantilever style roof. The issue about that is surely you build the roof with a view to the ultimate size and shape, otherwise you're wasting money and would need to do it again if and when we do expand the Kop.

I'd be wanting to ask the Prince
"You mention removing the pillars, can you expand on what this actually means, as obviously it's not a simple case of removing pillars.
A whole new roof supported by cantilever points would be needed, it's not an insignificant project so would it be built to cover the present Kop
or would it be build to take into account an expanded larger Kop, like in the McCabe plans"

I'd also ask him what his thoughts are on McCabe's original plans....Are they still relevant and ready to use? Can they still be used or would they need to be revised?
What's the latest situation on the land around the Kop that is still owned by McCabe and how does it impact out plans to renovate/ expand the Kop?
What is his view on the 1980's style uncovered Kop concourse areas?
Where does a new Kop or a new temporary roof over the concourse come regards priorities and what's the time scale.

The temporary solution to remove the pillars on the kop was not to make it cantilever. It was to build a "goalpost" like structure which would support the existing roof with the supporting "posts" being at each end. Similar examples - villa park (opposite the holte end) and both end stands at carrow road.

The temporary solution to remove the pillars on the kop was not to make it cantilever. It was to build a "goalpost" like structure which would support the existing roof with the supporting "posts" being at each end. Similar examples - villa park (opposite the holte end) and both end stands at carrow road.

Thanks....that makes sense.
He did make it sound like it was a quick Summer close season job.

The option was to follow the planning approved design and erect the cantilevers where they meet up with the current posts. Otherwise it was back to planning approval for anything different.

Was that what was done with the Lane end? They didn’t put a new roof on that but did extend it forwards. I didn’t see the erecting of any ‘goalposts‘ to support the roof, just the structure being built on top of it.

Was that what was done with the Lane end? They didn’t put a new roof on that but did extend it forwards. I didn’t see the erecting of any ‘goalposts‘ to support the roof, just the structure being built on top of it.
In effect...yes. although of course the BL end is a very small roof in comparison. It is still the same roof but structurally supported at each end now. That is why there are no pictures of the BL roof being removed and replaced.

Back
Top Bottom