Goal Difference

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I haven't a scooby what's going to happen over the next three games with either us or Leeds.

But if we end up on the same points at the end, what's the likelihood that they could catch up the +6 GD?

I haven't a scooby what's going to happen over the next three games with either us or Leeds.

But if we end up on the same points at the end, what's the likelihood that they could catch up the +6 GD?
Norwich only have a +2 goal difference on us, so a couple of decent wins and we should be able to make that up

Work it out this way.. if we both win our last three games the lesat they will need to score to beat us is Ten goals in those three games.

Edit: No I think they would do it with nine.

Last edited:

As this is SUFC you are talking about, obviously more likely than not.

Worried about what they could do to Ipswich. We lose 2 to stoke and they put 4 past tractor boys and it's reversed. Nah we'll have it settled on points.

Worried about what they could do to Ipswich. We lose 2 to stoke and they put 4 past tractor boys and it's reversed. Nah we'll have it settled on points.

Think you should be concerned about today. Nothing else has any relevance until the result at Hull is known.
Then the result at Brentford tonight.
The last game of the season is light years away.

It’s better than you think.

It’s not simply a 6 goal difference so if they win their next 2 matches 3-0 they’ve caught up.

We’re currently on a +32 goal difference with Leeds on a +26 goal difference.
Let’s assume we beat Hull 1-0, only beat Ipswich 1-0, then beat Stoke 1-0.
That puts us on a +35 goal difference.

So it means Leeds need to make up NINE goals to equal us and TEN goals to better our goal difference.

The odds on Leeds winning all their last 3 matches by 3 or 4 goals is very unlikely.
Basically they’re not going to catch up.

It’s better than you think.

It’s not simply a 6 goal difference so if they win their next 2 matches 3-0 they’ve caught up.

We’re currently on a +32 goal difference with Leeds on a +26 goal difference.
Let’s assume we beat Hull 1-0, only beat Ipswich 1-0, then beat Stoke 1-0.
That puts us on a +35 goal difference.

So it means Leeds need to make up NINE goals to equal us and TEN goals to better our goal difference.

The odds on Leeds winning all their last 3 matches by 3 or 4 goals is very unlikely.
Basically they’re not going to catch up.

Have I missed something Have we beaten Hull Ipswich and Stoke?.
The football gods will be having a collective mass debating session over this thread.

As explained above, it’s not a 6 goal swing, if both teams win their remaining 3 matches.
It will be at least a 9 goal swing to equal us and a 10 goal swing to better our goal difference.

Remember GD only comes into play if us and Leeds gain the exact same points in the final 3 games.
So on the final day if we find ourselves above Leeds by 3 points.

Let’s assume we beat Hull and Ipswich 1-0, giving us a +34 GD.
Then Leeds lose 0-1 to Brentford but beat Villa 1-0, they would have a +26 GD.

So if we lose to Stoke by 2 goals, then in order for Leeds to overtake us they’d need to beat Ipswich by 7 clear goals.

Have I missed something Have we beaten Hull Ipswich and Stoke?.
The football gods will be having a collective mass debating session over this thread.

If Leeds win their last 3 but we don’t then GD is irrelevant.

Remember, goal difference only comes into play if we match Leeds points tally in the last 3 games.
Let’s assume then that we lose 0-1 against both Hull and Ipswich making our GD +30.
But Leeds also lose 0-1 to Brentford and Villa, making their goal difference +24.

That would mean if Leeds lost to Ipswich by 1 goal, then we’d need to lose to Stoke by 8 goals for them to overtake us.

Agree, it’s does seem weird that for a change we could succeed in goal difference instead of losing out.
You can just imagine Leeds needing 7 goals on the final day, so we know it’s impossible, then the football Gods send us a message when Leeds are 4-0 up at half time, so we all go into panic mode.

Last edited:
We need to get in Ipswich's good books next week.

If they could pull off a 2-0 defeat against Leeds that could be very helpful.

The footballing gods will already have it worked out. Win for Blades and Leeds today. Win for Blades and draw for Leeds next weekend. Win for Leeds loss for Blades on the final day.

But I'm an atheist.

It's a little bonus I guess, but I really think this is going to come down to points.

The footballing gods will already have it worked out. Win for Blades and Leeds today. Win for Blades and draw for Leeds next weekend. Win for Leeds loss for Blades on the final day.

But I'm an atheist.

The above is my fear too.

Would be so nerve racking playing Stoke in the last match knowing that even if Leeds beat Ipswich then just a draw against Stoke is enough, You can just imagine United sitting back the whole match away at Stoke and being very cautious just concentrating on not conceding.

IF..........we win today and the Bees sting +3.
IF.........we beat Ipswich and the Villains steal a point +5.
What do points make ?
It won’t go to goal difference.

I don’t think it will come down to goal difference anyway.

Both Leeds and our own form has been a bit in different for the last few weeks. Can’t see both teams winning all 3 of our remaining games. Especially with Leeds playing Villa.

I think (and hope) we’ll have a points advantage that takes us up.

If we win a tough game today and then again on Saturday I think a draw will be enough against Stoke to see us up.

If Leeds catch up our goal difference it will be decided on goals scored, which almost certainly will favour Leeds unless we have a freak 5-4 type result. So promotion is not ensured just by winning the next 3 games

If Leeds catch up our goal difference it will be decided on goals scored, which almost certainly will favour Leeds unless we have a freak 5-4 type result. So promotion is not ensured just by winning the next 3 games

Just checked and goals scored is almost identical. They’ve scored only 1 more goal more than us.
So a 3-2 win probably gives us the advantage even if GD is level. Even a 2-1 would be enough to tie.

However it’s all academic because there won’t be a 9 goal swing in just 3 matches, that’s on the assumption that we match the Leeds 3 game points haul, which is the only scenario where goal difference becomes relevant.

Last edited:
That doesn’t make sense, goals scored is almost identical. They’ve scored only 1 more goal more than us.
So a 3-2 win probably gives us the advantage even if GD is level. Even a 2-1 might be enough.

But for them to catch up our goal difference they have to out score us by a fair few goals over the next 3 games.

It’ll be decided on points on the last game.

I can see Leeds going back above us today and then us swinging back when they play Villa.

I think we’ll have the advantage going into the last game.

And then it’s just about who turns up on the day and/or who gets he result.

Fucking Ipswich, by far the worst side in the league, will end up playing a huge role in deciding who gets 2nd

But for them to catch up our goal difference they have to out score us by a fair few goals over the next 3 games.

Ah yeh I see what you mean now, you’re correct. If the goal difference was equal then it looks certain that Leeds would pip us on goal scored.

They have to outscore us by two goals every game.

Two of those are away and the home one is Villa.

Mirror their results and if both teams lose, avoid being thumped!

If we have the same results, at this stage it will be difficult for them to overcome.

Their main hope is probably pumping Ipswich last day but they will have no pressure on them and they've kept things relatively respectable despite their demise.

Take care of our own matches, one at a time. It's all we can do!

As this is SUFC fans you are talking about, obviously the servile, obsequious, spineless Jellybabies will think it more likely than not.

My friend Common Sense asked me to make these amendments. He has a backbone.

Only in S2 are there people so excruciatingly obsequious as to contemplate that Dirty Corrupt Leeds are remotely likely to reverse a six goal deficit if both teams win all three games. The self-same people would entirely rule out the same thing happening in our favour. They would mock and sneer at the very idea.

This is Bladey Inferiority Complex at its grotesque, knee-bending worst. It’s utterly embarrassing. Stop it. It will not happen.

Only in S2 are there people so excruciatingly obsequious as to contemplate that Dirty Corrupt Leeds are remotely likely to reverse a six goal deficit if both teams win all three games. The self-same people would entirely rule out the same thing happening in our favour. They would mock and sneer at the very idea.

This is Bladey Inferiority Complex at its grotesque, knee-bending worst. It’s utterly embarrassing. Stop it. It will not happen.
I'm not in S2

Back
Top Bottom