Outgoing? George Baldock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not just any old speculation, but 'talks opened', Baldock interested, and 'Wilder may let him go'.

Cut to the chase, what is he worth?
I'll open the bidding at £4m.?

We're selling everybody for peanuts first, then we'll try and repopulate the squad, it's a plan, not a good one but it's a plan.

Why sell him ? Strange probably could get better but I’d definitely keep him

Not sure what site this Celtic fan is reading but I think Baldock is probably the least likely to hack to it in the Premier League out of our first 11. I like the lad and he puts everything in but he's really going to have to work on his final ball and quality in the last third if he's going to go up the next level.

We can’t sell him before we have a replacement surely. We probably need to upgrade his position but who is there at an affordable price?

All a bit random, unless CW has told Baldock that he won't be first choice next season (which I doubt)?
Let's not forget there are plenty of people still criticising Kyle Walker for his occasional defensive lapses and inconsistent final ball.
Baldock has a great engine, is quick enough, and gets his tackles in. A bit more composure in the final third and he'll do OK.

All a bit random, unless CW has told Baldock that he won't be first choice next season (which I doubt)?
Let's not forget there are plenty of people still criticising Kyle Walker for his occasional defensive lapses and inconsistent final ball.
Baldock has a great engine, is quick enough, and gets his tackles in. A bit more composure in the final third and he'll do OK.

I don't think Wilder is convinced with either Baldock or Freeman which is why they've both had long spells on the sidelines. Baldock is the more reliable but I think the fact Freeman played less and seemed unfit at the latter end of the season yet still got more goals and assists than Baldock means it's a position Wilder will be looking to strengthen.

I’d miss him. Been a great signing. But he has a few weaknesses and it’s a position we could do with strengthening.

Is he good enough for the Prem? Not sure. So Celtic makes sense considering they probably sit at a level between the divisions.
If he gets a move to a huge club and European football I won’t begrudge him it as long as we get a good fee.

Personally, I would be looking to find an upgrade on Baldock. However, I think we should keep hold of him to compete for that position as well, so unless we can sell him for enough to get in a replacement who's truly exceptional, then I don't think it's a good idea.

I also find it hard to believe that he'd prefer playing in the SPL than the Premier League, even if he could potentially win a title there. The main reason would be wages, but on the playing side I don't see it.

Easily good enough for the prem particularly from a defensive standpoint which, lets face it, will be the most important part of the profile of any RWB/RB playing for United next season. I'm disappointed that we've let his contract get to this juncture; Celtic can pay big bucks in terms of wages so we may have little choice but to sell now for under his value. Celtic's transfer plans have leaked btw, and there authenticity has been all but confirmed by the club. It seems that they're interested in Harper and Aribo, two players we should be after imo. It also confirms they are after a RWB/RB, although James Justin (Luton) is on the list:

Last edited:
Not just any old speculation, but 'talks opened', Baldock interested, and 'Wilder may let him go'.

I said a few months ago that if we got to the Prem neither him nor Freeman would be good enough. So I'm o.k. with this personally. I wish the lad well if he goes. I think he's bust a gut for us in lots of games and when he's on form, he's very good attacking down the flank. But, we're moving up a level and I think we can improve in this area. Pity they don't want Freeman as well, because I think Baldock is the better of the two.

If he's told us he wants to leave, then get rid.

If Wilder wants to move him on to strengthen in that position, fair enough.

Either way, our asking price is compromised by his contract situation, which is disappointing. But hopefully our PL status and lack of need to sell will make up for that.

Anything over £3m would be acceptable.

This is maybe the most interesting part of the article:

"Wilder has been waiting to hear what budget he will have to strengthen
his side but wants to bolster his defence and could sacrifice Baldock as part of his rebuild."

Better than being told he has £20m but utterly inexcusable from those clowns running the show. The budget should have been finalised weeks ago.

Baldock or Freeman? Over the last couple of seasons most on here tend to agree that Freeman offers more going forward but Baldock better defensively, when one of them gets the nod he seems to up his game for a few matches, not an awful lot to choose between them but a position I have said needs upgrading, 4 million? Seems like a lot to me, is this because we are now in the premier? Players we are interested in the price now goes up, is it the same with sales? Never thought about it before

Baldock or Freeman? Over the last couple of seasons most on here tend to agree that Freeman offers more going forward but Baldock better defensively, when one of them gets the nod he seems to up his game for a few matches, not an awful lot to choose between them but a position I have said needs upgrading, 4 million? Seems like a lot to me, is this because we are now in the premier? Players we are interested in the price now goes up, is it the same with sales? Never thought about it before

Out of the two, it's Baldock every time for me

Signing a decent RWB would cost a fee similar to what we could get for Baldock.

Selling Baldock could be the best way to facilitate this spend, without affecting the budget. It would be smart management if we can upgrade.

Freeman unfortunately would barely bring in £1m.

For example, we sell Baldock for £3.5m and bring in one of....

James Justin - £5m - "Listen James, we know you can go to Leicester and earn a fortune but we guarantee you first team football"
Andy Yiadom - £4m - "Listen Andy, if you can move to Barnsley you can move to Sheffield"
Mason Holgate - Loan - "Listen Mason, we're signing you to play RWB and will spend part of the Baldock fee on a CB"

Or alternatively, we could look to keep a player who played very well for us in getting to the Premier League.

Hes got a year on his contract, will probably be more than happy enough to stick around and give the Premiership a go, and if we went to another premier league side and asked them just how much they wanted for their first choice right sided defender, see how many of those we could pick up for £4m or less... ok then ill answer my own question....none.

We are back in the PL now, yet a lot of our fans seem stuck with a championship mentality. Baldock is now a PL player. Look at the alledged fees that we have reportedly been quoted from clubs in the championship....yes cheap every one.

He will do well for us next season, so for me the mantra should remain the same. Any of our first team players are for sale, but any clubs should have to pay well over the odds for them. We would be mad to let him go without a really top fee coming in for him.

Ambition and Blade fans. Now that's four words you dont see in a sentence too often.

Although the source of this rumour leads me to believe it is complete testicles, if a club are willing to come in with decent money for Baldock, I think we would be daft to turn it down.

I like Baldock, but I think that the RWB role is the area (other than up top) that we need to improve on. Love Baldocks energy, he is defensively decent and his pace gives us another dimension to our play, but his end product is not good enough for the Premier League. We're not going to create as many chances next season as we have for the last 3 years and we can't afford to waste the good positions that we do get in with poor balls into the area.

I'd like to see George get a chance at least. He has the makings of being able to make the step up (how many said certain players from L1 to the Champ didn't?). We perhaps need an improvement here, but I'd still want him as back up at least.

Back
Top Bottom