GCB writer?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do any blades on here know who created the GCB? or is there anyone here who was at the first game it was sung at?

Oldham away first time I recall hearing it think it was first away game of 84/85 season after we’d come up from the old Third Division. We took loads that day they closed away turnstiles about 15 mins before kick off . Blades got in all over the ground , we were on the side terrace next to their Kop , remember hearing this new song that day ... the rest is history

I remember the first time I heard it sang en masse by Blades.

It was the first game of the 84 season away at Stoke....the old Victoria ground. I remember thinking it won’t catch on because there were too many words to remember but we sang it for all home games that season too and we’ve sang it every game since 1984.

Its possible it might have been sang by a small group of Blades before 1984 but they weren’t stood near me so I never heard it.
I’ve heard that Rotherham fans sang it first but it never caught on like it did at Bramall Lane.

Think that was following season SS 85/86 , def remember hearing it at the Oldham away match .. remember the Stoke game well boiling hot day , tried to get service train along with about 300 others .. police let on about first 150 .. some the lads chartered a coach .. about 30 of us got a fkg locally stopping bus across there didn’t get in the ground til nearly half 3 ! .. great 3-1 win big away following a good day out .. needless to say we blagged our way on to several coaches rather then endure the same journey back !

As I said, it was coming back from the game. On the bus, to be precise. It was indeed Bob and I can still picture it clearly in my mind. You should have stayed till the end 😂

I thought it wo Trusson, know nowt me.

Think that was following season SS 85/86 , def remember hearing it at the Oldham away match .. remember the Stoke game well boiling hot day , tried to get service train along with about 300 others .. police let on about first 150 .. some the lads chartered a coach .. about 30 of us got a fkg locally stopping bus across there didn’t get in the ground til nearly half 3 ! .. great 3-1 win big away following a good day out .. needless to say we blagged our way on to several coaches rather then endure the same journey back !

Oldham away was that the artificial pitch game or when we had two sent off ?

Was grass then Cahill def before they laid the green tarmac pitch we drew 2-2 & yeh think there was sending off/s as I recall I remember they had Bob Carolgees lookalike Mick Quinn up front for em

I remember the lads from the Evo at Handsworth on the opposite terrace every time the lines man was running up & down the touchline with him mimicking his every move ..was funny as at the time after a day full of ale ..funny how you remember random daft shit from some trips

Bob Atkins swivel and volley, won it for us away at Millers in the last minute in April 84.

The disaster waiting to happen, the pastoral sounding 'Milllers Lane' was rammed even more than normal that day.
SYP had some right twats on horses back then and two of the blocked the lane. The force of the crowd ended up shoving the horses back, with women screaming and people trying to lift kids up. I genuinely expected a couple of people to have died in the crush that day. Classic police tactics of treating everybody as hooligans.

I'd been on the Tivoli 79/80 when the wall fell down, but that was nowhere near as bad as 84 on Millers Lane.

The disaster waiting to happen, the pastoral sounding 'Milllers Lane' was rammed even more than normal that day.
SYP had some right twats on horses back then and two of the blocked the lane. The force of the crowd ended up shoving the horses back, with women screaming and people trying to lift kids up. I genuinely expected a couple of people to have died in the crush that day. Classic police tactics of treating everybody as hooligans.

I'd been on the Tivoli 79/80 when the wall fell down, but that was nowhere near as bad as 84 on Millers Lane.

Was also there that day, and yes you are spot on, it was very scary being on that little lane that day as some people were being lifted off their feet in the crush and there was just too many people crammed into such a small place. Always hated that little lane tbh, its no exegeration to call it a death trap. Remember this was pre Hillsborough disaster and the police and authorities paid little attention to packing people in and herding them around like cattle in a cattle truck. They wouldnt transport animals these days like they moved football fans around back then. I can recall being in many a tight squeeze on the terraces (Barnsley away in the first replay in the Cup in 90 is one which I also remember) but that was probably the worse I experienced (didn't go to the boxing day match in 79 where apparently it was also bad).

Going back to the little access lane at Milmoor, I was there that day when the lad was killed on it (Swansea fan) when Millers and Swansea were playing last match of the season for the championship of div 4. Swansea fans were being a bit naughty and one of their number was killed after the police charged with horses down that lane. The lad was acting the hooligan, but that doesn't mean he deserved what he got that day. Someone lost a loved one that day who went to football and that is very very sad. Always hated the Railway End access lane at Milmoor.

Was grass then Cahill def before they laid the green tarmac pitch we drew 2-2 & yeh think there was sending off/s as I recall I remember they had Bob Carolgees lookalike Mick Quinn up front for em
Was a good game, no antics from either side. Ref spoilt it, needless bookings and sending(s) off.
Did Tony Philliskirk sore for us?

Being young, free and single back then, I used to get to most of the away games in the 80s. With a little jog of my memory from the lads, I could recall who I went with, where we stopped off, which pubs we drank in etc - but can't remember much at all about the actual games :D

Alas money issues mean I only get to about half the away games now, but ask me about a game from say 3 or 4 years ago and I probably couldn't recall a thing.

Isn't advancing in years great hey ..... or maybe all the brain cells I lost in my youth are now coming home to roost :confused:

I think if you associate a game with a certain set of experiences you're more likely to remember it. I was on the trail back in the 80's as well. Blundell Park stands out for some reason. Probably because it was a lovely sunny day and Cleethorpes was flooded with Blades, enjoying a drink in the sunshine, can't remember the score though, but I suspect we lost and I bet Kevin Drinkell scored. Brentford away in the '80's was another one. Had a great morning in London, a few beers, bought a trendy bright yellow jacket on Chiswick High St, tried to kiss a nun, had this gay bloke giving me the "come on" in a pub (must have been my bright yellow jacket!), nearly got into the ground for nothing when one of the big gates opened, but my daft mate shouted me back, "it's not that way,,,it's this way!" Silly sod! I knew which bloody way it was, I was almost in then the steward spotted me when he shouted that! :rolleyes:

I don't necessarily remember the score, or who scored, in many games. For example, I'd struggle to name our last 4 home games and the scores. (I know the last one was Norwich and we won, but can't remember the others). I'd have to go and look it up, even though I was there. But that's always been the same for me, so I'm not seeing that as an indication that I'm losing my memory.

The only slight thing I've noticed of late, is a forgetfulness for people's names, usually when I'm trying to describe them to someone else, not when I'm actually talking to them. So it turns into a kind of..."you know who I mean! Course you do! Big lad. Scouse accent. Used to always wear a red jacket. Lived on that street next to your mother's". Like a bloody guessing game for them that I'm talking to. Usually the wife...P. P.. P...err...whatever her name is! 🤔

I might be turning into this guy!

I think if you associate a game with a certain set of experiences you're more likely to remember it. I was on the trail back in the 80's as well. Blundell Park stands out for some reason. Probably because it was a lovely sunny day and Cleethorpes was flooded with Blades, enjoying a drink in the sunshine, can't remember the score though, but I suspect we lost and I bet Kevin Drinkell scored. Brentford away in the '80's was another one. Had a great morning in London, a few beers, bought a trendy bright yellow jacket on Chiswick High St, tried to kiss a nun, had this gay bloke giving me the "come on" in a pub (must have been my bright yellow jacket!), nearly got into the ground for nothing when one of the big gates opened, but my daft mate shouted me back, "it's not that way,,,it's this way!" Silly sod! I knew which bloody way it was, I was almost in then the steward spotted me when he shouted that! :rolleyes:

I don't necessarily remember the score, or who scored, in many games. For example, I'd struggle to name our last 4 home games and the scores. (I know the last one was Norwich and we won, but can't remember the others). I'd have to go and look it up, even though I was there. But that's always been the same for me, so I'm not seeing that as an indication that I'm losing my memory.

The only slight thing I've noticed of late, is a forgetfulness for people's names, usually when I'm trying to describe them to someone else, not when I'm actually talking to them. So it turns into a kind of..."you know who I mean! Course you do! Big lad. Scouse accent. Used to always wear a red jacket. Lived on that street next to your mother's". Like a bloody guessing game for them that I'm talking to. Usually the wife...P. P.. P...err...whatever her name is! 🤔

I might be turning into this guy!

I suppose every generation remembers their late teens / early adult years through rose coloured glasses, but I don't care what anybody says about the state of football at the time; the 80s were fantastic days to be a young, easy going bloke following the Blades. Yes we were shit, yes the pigs were by far the better team, yes the away games were dangerous. But this just added to it - we were Blades and proud of it - fuck everybody! I was not directly involved with the BBC but back then any group of lads not wearing colours and going on the piss early doors were often involved in a few scrapes. But I didn't go for that; I went for the piss up, sing song and possible pull ;) It was the buzz, the camaraderie, the anticipation of wtf was going to happen that day/night - fantastic times.

I still love football and following the Blades away, but when I see the way the youth piss about with camera phones at half time and all this orchestrated jumping around throwing beer and filming each other - I just think ..... wtf, the last thing we would have wanted was a phone, camera or social media - evidence!! haha. When groups of fans are stood safely behind lines of police shouting and gesticulating at each other, I think .... oh dear .... what would they do if the police just stepped aside and let them get on with it? Many wouldn't be so hard then!

Nowadays I am loving the fact that Chrissy Wilder has given us our football mojo back and we are living the football dream. I still love a good away piss up, but prefer to pick and choose away games with an overnight stop over involved - need to get some sleep too these days 😂

The original song was actually “a night out on West Street” and that was sung for a season or two. Don’t know why it changed to be honest as I always preferred it to Sheffield

I suppose every generation remembers their late teens / early adult years through rose coloured glasses, but I don't care what anybody says about the state of football at the time; the 80s were fantastic days to be a young, easy going bloke following the Blades. Yes we were shit, yes the pigs were by far the better team, yes the away games were dangerous. But this just added to it - we were Blades and proud of it - fuck everybody! I was not directly involved with the BBC but back then any group of lads not wearing colours and going on the piss early doors were often involved in a few scrapes. But I didn't go for that; I went for the piss up, sing song and possible pull ;) It was the buzz, the camaraderie, the anticipation of wtf was going to happen that day/night - fantastic times.

I still love football and following the Blades away, but when I see the way the youth piss about with camera phones at half time and all this orchestrated jumping around throwing beer and filming each other - I just think ..... wtf, the last thing we would have wanted was a phone, camera or social media - evidence!! haha. When groups of fans are stood safely behind lines of police shouting and gesticulating at each other, I think .... oh dear .... what would they do if the police just stepped aside and let them get on with it? Many wouldn't be so hard then!

Nowadays I am loving the fact that Chrissy Wilder has given us our football mojo back and we are living the football dream. I still love a good away piss up, but prefer to pick and choose away games with an overnight stop over involved - need to get some sleep too these days 😂

just like you say some of the best memories of my life in the 80's following the blades, going away not knowing wtf was going to happen, the laughs the scrapes happy days, always remember a mate turning up one saturday looking like Seth out of Emmerdale, Deer stalker, tweed jacket leather patch elbows, just missing his shot gun, looking at him and saying WTF do you look like, his reply you'll all be wearing it soon, this sticks in memory because later that day a police dog went to take a chunk out of his arse after a bit of a incident;) he fell two of us grabbed his collar and dragged him up, dog got a big chunk of the jacket just missed his arse, but rest of day he was moaning like fcuk how much it cost and now it ruined, i was pissin myself, said dog must have been a blood hound and thought you were going hunting.
The day at Leicester still is the best day for me never ever forget the day and Night, and fcuk oh ah cantona, I rember oh ah Bob boooka was Born well before they started it with cantona.

Wilder has brought back the pride and togetherness in the fans, it's just like the Bassett days but with better football and I hope he takes us further than bassett and get's us to europe that will be when it will Top Leicester, when we take over The bernabeu or Camp nou :p

fcuk oh ah cantona, I rember oh ah Bob boooka was Born well before they started it with cantona.

Before we started with Bob Booker, they were singing it in the 80s to Paul McGrath.
Their song originally.

Yep your spot on I shall hang my head in shame 🙏 for forgivness, didn't compute oh ah with McGrath, and he was still best by miles when he came to us with fcuk knees.

Before we started with Bob Booker, they were singing it in the 80s to Paul McGrath.
Their song originally.
I had a chuckle at Wimbledon fans back in the day singing .....ah hoo Fashanu, say ah hoo Fashanu.

Still got a soft spot for them with all that franchise MK Dons shit and of course the Bassett connection.

Fish cake 😁
I’ve never seen it on here before but I remember the start of the 83/4 season, stood at the back of the kop and hearing two blokes in front of me;
‘Ooh’s that kid wi just signed?’

‘Fuck knows, Tony Fishcake or summert’

I’ve never seen it on here before but I remember the start of the 83/4 season, stood at the back of the kop and hearing two blokes in front of me;
‘Ooh’s that kid wi just signed?’

‘Fuck knows, Tony Fishcake or summert’

He got that title bestowed on him at very early juncture BB

Back
Top Bottom