Gazza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When Moore was in his prime the term "Midfielder" hadn't really been invented. He was a half-back. Good enough to be on any list though, however you term it.

Well, he gets into my best ever XI, alongside Der Kaiser. And if I'm listing the best defenders I've seen, he's probably first on the list, which would probably be dominated by quality Italians, a ringing endorsement of his quality.

I'd really like that sweeper role to return. No finer sight than Der Kaiser striding forward with the ball. As kids in the 70s we were still expected to dislike Germans, but two of my favourite players were Beckenbaur and Gunter Netzer. Wore the number 10 shirt, blonde, sublime passer of the ball (remind you of anyone? ;) ) and when I was at school we wore this kit:

View attachment 28468
Think you're one of the few on here who'd know about Netzer. Saw him play, superb technician, and could pass as good as anyone I've seen. Correct me, but didn't he play for the old East German team?

Think you're one of the few on here who'd know about Netzer. Saw him play, superb technician, and could pass as good as anyone I've seen. Correct me, but didn't he play for the old East German team?

He is one of the main reasons my 'other' team is Borussia Mönchengladbach! And of course wearing their kit at school (see pic above). He did I believe make a very brief appearance for GDR, but I also might be mixing him up with another player!

He is one of the main reasons my 'other' team is Borussia Mönchengladbach! And of course wearing their kit at school (see pic above). He did I believe make a very brief appearance for GDR, but I also might be mixing him up with another player!

I know you're not sure, but the fact that you think he played for East Germany adds to my recollection that he did play in midfield for them. What I recall was a superbly gifted player, someone who'd play for either Real Madrid or Barca if he was playing now.

I know you're not sure, but the fact that you think he played for East Germany adds to my recollection that he did play in midfield for them. What I recall was a superbly gifted player, someone who'd play for either Real Madrid or Barca if he was playing now.

He did of course play for Real Madrid. Barcelona signed Cruyff, Madrid needed to try and match that, so signed Netzer. As you say, a silky skilled passer of the ball, one of the best at what they called a schemer.

Let's clear this thing up about Bobby Moore. Like The Great Joe Shaw, he started out as a midfielder ( or half back as they were known then ) but soon moved to centre back and it was in that position that he made his name as one of the games all time greats.

Contrary to what's been said elsewhere, he did not play in midfield in '66 - he played in a back four alongside Jack Charlton with George Cohen and Ray Wilson being the fullbacks.

On his day, Gazza could be great but not AS great as the wonderful Lord Currie of Shoreham on his day.

UTB

Talking world cup 90 onwards which is my football watching lifespan he's surely my favourite England midfielder. Scholes and Lampard also right up there in ability but none as fantastic to watch as Gazza.

Gazza arrested and charged with sexual assault. He's still a mess.

He’ll have been under the influence and acting the comedian. Looks like not everyone gets « the joke «

ACp23w7.jpg

His defence is fucking hilarious if it wasn't on the BBC I would have though it was a spoof from the Rotherham bugle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50041711
He can only be defending this for publicity reasons but I'm sure he will be place on the sex offenders register.

Reactions: Dkc
What is really sad, in addition to the obvious distress caused to this woman, is that he really needs some serious help. I hope that, in addition to whatever sanction he receives, he is given psychological support. I fear that he is heading for disaster but this might just sort him out if he embraces it.

Mental health wasn't around in his hay day god knows he needed it , really don't know how he's survived up to this day !
Reight player ! Although was never really the same after that horrendous injury he had when he was diving in tackles when he was over excited ! Could never control his emotions !

I remember him well. Hell of a player. Don`t think he had anything to do with the GDR.

"The ex-England star, who denies sexual assault by touching, told police he had "kissed a fat lass" to give her a "confidence boost", jurors were told. "

I shouldn't have laughed at that

I'm surprised that this "lad" hasn't topped himself by now he has serious, serious issues be it drink, violence or sex he desperately needs help but never seemed to get the right help. He had the football world at his feet but was big mates with Tango's Geordie cousin 5 bellies, he sadly could not spot the hangers on was led astray but, now he needs no help as he's in news for all wrong reasons. This is the classic tale of a young man getting too much, too quick too soon, and he couldn't handle it.

The most unbelievable thing about that article is that the guy is 52. He looks about 62....and the rest.

I'm not really old enough to have seen him play but clearly the guy needs help. He's obviously from a different era and I wonder how different it could have been if he'd had more support around him at the end of his playing days.

Gazza’s life was always going to go this way, he’s only wanted to do two things since becoming a teenager, play football and drink alcohol.

Once he couldn’t play football anymore he only had one thing left in his life. He’s sadly going to be dead before the age of 60.

Lots of other people are much worse off than Gazza who don't have a "celebrity" status who need help more than he does but no seems concerned about them receiving treatment.

The most amazing part is that it says that the trial is going to last five days!

Well that verdict certainly proved me wrong! I can't see why there weren't any witnesses called by the prosecution or defence unless they weren't reported.

What was even more shocking that the not guilty verdict, was after his solicitor gave a victory speech to the waiting press, he said 'Right time for a pint' and just pissed off.

Back
Top Bottom