Gary Cahill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Well done Gary Cahill on being part of a Premier League winning team. I'm probably wrong, but was Imre Varadi the last player to play for us and go on to be in a championship winning team?

was Imre Varadi the last player to play for us and go on to be in a championship winning team

Cahill was clearly a class, or two, or more, apart when he played for us.

Imre Varadi wasn't. :confused:

This sent me Googling, and Wikipedia reckons he (Varadi) only played three games for L***s, and therefore didn't get a medal - which sounds about right.

So...Who was the last ex-player (before Cahill) to get a Division 1 medal after he played for us?

Wasn't it that we could've had Cahill for 4mill after his loan? Not that ridiculous when you consider how much we paid for Beattie.

Cahill was clearly a class, or two, or more, apart when he played for us.

Imre Varadi wasn't. :confused:

This sent me Googling, and Wikipedia reckons he (Varadi) only played three games for L***s, and therefore didn't get a medal - which sounds about right.

So...Who was the last ex-player (before Cahill) to get a Division 1 medal after he played for us?
Mick Jones?

Been looking at the list of League Champions and Jones is the last one before Cahill I can think of

The only possibility after Mick Jones is that over the years we've had the occasional loaned youngster, one or two from Man Utd (and Liverpool?) even - if memory serves, but I can't think of anyone who went on to win the League.

I think it has to be Mick Jones.

Been quite few that won the league and then later played for us though!

Just a few for starters:
Phil Thompson
Ian Rush
Gordon Cowans
Peter Withe
Dennis Mortimer

This gets the William Shatner version of It Was a Very Good Year running through my head :eek:

"And now I'm in the autumn of my years..."

The only possibility after Mick Jones is that over the years we've had the occasional loaned youngster, one or two from Man Utd (and Liverpool?) even - if memory serves, but I can't think of anyone who went on to win the League.

I think it has to be Mick Jones.

Thought I had a good one in Ritchie De Laet, but he didn't play for Man Utd when they won in 10-11, and was gone when they won it 2 years later.

Well done Gary Cahill on being part of a Premier League winning team. I'm probably wrong, but was Imre Varadi the last player to play for us and go on to be in a championship winning team?

I think Gary Cahill lived in Dronfield and went to Eckington school . If so well done to the lad. Pity we didnt have the finances to sign him when he was on loan , albeit he is a different player now , than when on loan to the blades.

Yes well done . Sets the scene for us next season , as the CB position , becomes more critical with every day passing.

Good positive.

UTB

Depends how big a "part", no appearances but Richard Wright was at Man City last year. Agana was also (on loan) at Leeds in 92.

In the "won one before joining us" column, a few of the 94/95 Blackburn squad joined us as some point:

Looking through the list, there is at least: Nicky Marker, Alan Wright, Frank Talia, Andy Morrison.

I think Gary Cahill lived in Dronfield and went to Eckington school . If so well done to the lad. Pity we didnt have the finances to sign him when he was on loan , albeit he is a different player now , than when on loan to the blades.

Yes well done . Sets the scene for us next season , as the CB position , becomes more critical with every day passing.

Good positive.

UTB
Lived in Oakhill Road area for most of his life. Went to Henry Fanshawe (a history teacher told my son a few stories about teaching Gary- he was with Aston Villa academy and history lessons would be distrupted because the class would be more interested about what Gary had said about the training and knowing the 1st team players etc) and played for AFC Dronfield until he was 14

Oh, of course, Andy Goram played for Man United after leaving us. So I guess the correct answer would be Andy Goram, no? (I'm not 100% sure they won the title in the same year?).

edit: yes, 2 games during the 2000-2001 season when they won the title. I doubt there's any improvement on 2001?

Back
Top Bottom