Front Two

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Can’t be too disheartened with that performance today but can’t help but feel the front two that started today won’t start too many more together. Robinson especially has done very little in the 3 games we’ve played. He was skipping past league 2 defenders for fun in pre season but I’m not sure he’s beaten his man much at all in the league. Because of his lack of physicality it falls to Didsy to be the focal point and hold the ball up which isn’t his strong suit. In games where we domainate the ball a bit more didsy and Robinson may work but feel as a pair they lack the physicality to press the opposing centre halves back and as such get us up the pitch. It was there to see how much Leicester retreated once McBurnie came on. Freeman does a great job of taking men out the game and going past players so I’d sooner see McBurnie and Didsy up top at Chelsea to give us that slightly more direct option when we are under the cosh. Still it’s early days and we’ve made a very solid start and been in all 3 games we’ve played.

Robbo will become good no doubt and he has shown glimpses of quality. At times today his touch was bad and he hesitated and was unsure, in fairness he is playing against a top 10 side lets not forget that. He has a good shot on him so needs to offload that when possible.

McGoldricks has a far better impact than Robinson so far. Saying that, I got to the game earlier than normal today and noticed mcgoldrick wasn’t doing warm up shots with the strikers today which I thought was strange.

Robbo will become good no doubt and he has shown glimpses of quality. At times today his touch was bad and he hesitated and was unsure, in fairness he is playing against a top 10 side lets not forget that. He has a good shot on him so needs to offload that when possible.
I don’t doubt his quality as a footballer it’s there to see at times with his touches I just feel him and Didsy as a front two lack physicality which you sometimes need to get up the pitch so the “footballers” can make things happen: Its just Robinson is likely to be the one to make way because Didsy’s all round game is so good. McBurnie impressed me today with his touches and little passes he’s certainly more of a footballer than Madine.

I would go the opposite. Appreciate what has been posted and I get it but Goldy comes deep and takes forever to support. Leaves Robinson running. Personally I would put McBurnie up top and Robinson where Goldy is. He has the pace then to be the second attacker. In this league you get few chances as we have seen. Goldy has had 3-4 now and not converted. He’s a good sub for me but time to move on. ( tin hat on)

I would go the opposite. Appreciate what has been posted and I get it but Goldy comes deep and takes forever to support. Leaves Robinson running. Personally I would put McBurnie up top and Robinson where Goldy is. He has the pace then to be the second attacker. In this league you get few chances as we have seen. Goldy has had 3-4 now and not converted. He’s a good sub for me but time to move on. ( tin hat on)

Goldie has routinely been getting into great positions and scares defences. Makes some bad decisions which is why he hasn’t been playing at elite level for the last 10 years. But one who has stepped up to the PL effortlessly. I would go with him & McBurnie.

Go with McBurnie and McGoldrick at Chelsea with Freeman supporting them.

Give Robinson 90 minutes against Blackburn. Anything that might help him. He's been a bit disappointing so far although I'll cut him some slack due to the less attacking setup.

I'm pretty sure McBurnie and McGoldrick will start at Chelsea. We'll need them to hold the ball up and give our defenders a break.

I love McG, but the issue is he needs A LOT of chances to find the back of the net - Unfortunately the Premiership will not provide that many chances! McB with Billy / Robinson for me. McG playing a more CAM role IMO if he's in the side.

Can’t be too disheartened with that performance today but can’t help but feel the front two that started today won’t start too many more together. Robinson especially has done very little in the 3 games we’ve played. He was skipping past league 2 defenders for fun in pre season but I’m not sure he’s beaten his man much at all in the league. Because of his lack of physicality it falls to Didsy to be the focal point and hold the ball up which isn’t his strong suit. In games where we domainate the ball a bit more didsy and Robinson may work but feel as a pair they lack the physicality to press the opposing centre halves back and as such get us up the pitch. It was there to see how much Leicester retreated once McBurnie came on. Freeman does a great job of taking men out the game and going past players so I’d sooner see McBurnie and Didsy up top at Chelsea to give us that slightly more direct option when we are under the cosh. Still it’s early days and we’ve made a very solid start and been in all 3 games we’ve played.

Both are good players but neither are strikers. That’s the problem.

McGoldrick is a number 10. Robinson is a winger.

We put 2 strikers on in the second half and looked a lot more threatening.

The problem for me is that both mcgoldrick and Robinson are very similar in the way they both like to link play and neither is really a out and out goal scorer. We need an out and out goal scorer up front and some one that knows where the back of the net is we need to make every chance count in this league. We matched Leicester all game today but they had 2 chances and buried them both we need to be clinical to get points in this league.

Robbo will become good no doubt and he has shown glimpses of quality.

What three games have you watched?Robinson's given a masterclass on how not to be a prem striker; hasn't looked dangerous once and missed an absolute sitter.

Just being on the pitch seems to constitute to showing glimpses of quality around here.

Both are good players but neither are strikers. That’s the problem.

McGoldrick is a number 10. Robinson is a winger.

We put 2 strikers on in the second half and looked a lot more threatening.

" Both are good players but neither are strikers " - and there's the nail hit squarely on the head .

For me , a good striker is someone who has the ability to put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis and such players are , and always have been , a rare commodity . At the moment , we have two such players but for reasons I fail to understand , they have to make way for two other players who clearly don't have this ability and who , furthermore , look distinctly uncomfortable playing in this role .

When all the noise and nonsense has died down about " oh , but he brings other players into the game " and " he runs the channels well " , the question that ultimately has to be answered is " How many goals has he scored " ?

The answer so far in respect of our chosen 'strikers' is zero , whereas the two who have been overlooked in their favour have both scored within 8 minutes of coming on the pitch .

If Robinson or McGoldrick are to play at all then it should surely be in behind the two strikers we possess who , between them , would be virtually guaranteed to score 30 goals this season and go a long way to ensuring our survival .

If we were to persist with the former pair ( which thankfully I don't think will happen ) I doubt that either would get more than half a dozen .

When Wider signed so many attacking players in pre season, I had to wonder where they would all fit in once the season got under way.
It's become pretty clear after just 3 games, that there is unlikely to be a Deane/Agana style partnership up front.
It's equally clear that Olli puts defenders in a quandary from just two substitute appearances.
Whoever plays as a striker will still need a supply of assists. I can see Freeman and Didsy, plus the overlaps, doing this when we play two strikers.
Supported by a midfield of Norwood, Morrison and Fleck.
I still think that Wilder will continue with a cautious approach, more so away than at home, but with the aspiration to score goals with Billy and Olli striking and Moose to come of the bench if needed.
It all makes sense now. To me anyway.
Henderson

It’s simple for me. We have two number 9s and 2 number 10s. We need to play a combination of a 9 with a 10 (and I don’t mind which he goes with) if we are playing our usual flat 3 in midfield.

9s: sharp and mcburnie
10s: Robinson and McGoldrick

I really admire Wilder’s bravery to try playing two 10s in there because on paper it could cause defences a lot of problems if we have the ball high up the pitch. The problem today was that we kept giving the ball away in the midfield so we couldn’t get high enough up to support them.

The reason he brought both our number 9s on was that Freeman moved into the 10 behind them.

We also have our 5th striker, Mousset, who will be used as a greyhound, when sometimes we’ll set up similar to Brentford away last season and need an out ball. He’s our Washington.

What three games have you watched?Robinson's given a masterclass on how not to be a prem striker; hasn't looked dangerous once and missed an absolute sitter.

Just being on the pitch seems to constitute to showing glimpses of quality around here.

Pre_season he was one of our best players. Im sure he will be used as a sub now. It’s a big adjustment for all the new boys, new squad and league.

After 10 minutes I said we'd no striker on the pitch, McB and Bill put on then as subs.
Lifted everything when they finally did.
Agree with biggey blade, we matched Leicester all day. Just the one big mistake first half and we were punished.

Brilliant support though Bladesmen/women.

Said Robinson and McGoldrick shouldn't start as the only 2 attackers again. Was right.

McBurnie's in the team now.
They’re too similar I think. In my mind, one replaces the other.

McBurnie + one other, no one has really staked a claim for that place yet.

At Chelsea I can see Wilder starting with McBurnie as a lone striker with Freeman in support and a midfield three.

It’s simple for me. We have two number 9s and 2 number 10s. We need to play a combination of a 9 with a 10 (and I don’t mind which he goes with) if we are playing our usual flat 3 in midfield.

9s: sharp and mcburnie
10s: Robinson and McGoldrick

I really admire Wilder’s bravery to try playing two 10s in there because on paper it could cause defences a lot of problems if we have the ball high up the pitch. The problem today was that we kept giving the ball away in the midfield so we couldn’t get high enough up to support them.

The reason he brought both our number 9s on was that Freeman moved into the 10 behind them.

We also have our 5th striker, Mousset, who will be used as a greyhound, when sometimes we’ll set up similar to Brentford away last season and need an out ball. He’s our Washington.

Excellent assessment regards the number 9 strikers and number 10 strikers.

Sharp/ McBurnie looked good on Saturday BUT it’s only because we were committing men forward and doing plenty of attacking.
This won’t be the case away at Chelsea, if we play Sharp/ McBurnie again then the attack is likely to become isolated.

Next week we need a good hold up player who can drop deep .....the best at the club is currently McGoldrick, can McBurnie do this? Then we need someone with pace and movement running into space....the best at the club are Robinson, McBurnie or maybe Mousset. The irony is that away to Chelsea the best pairing might be McGoldrick and Robinson (the pair looked ordinary against Leicester but they did well away at Bournmouth.

I would start with the 2 Macs up front next week.

Last edited:
Robinson has done ok and it's nice to see a player who's default is to run at defenders with the ball, but even though we are only a few games in I think he needs a goal or a big 'moment' such as winning us a penalty. Same with McG who has started like he did last season by missing a few sitters. Overall however I don't think they click as a partnership and seem to be playing their own games rather than working in tandom, which may be because neither is an out and out striker.

McBurnie or Sharp gives us more of a focal point, like with Madine last season. It won't always work but we looked infinitely better with them both on pitch yesterday and with McBurnie on against Palace.

I would like to see Robinson feeding off McBurnie, or even alongside Sharp who never gets enough credit for his hold up play.

Back
Top Bottom