Freeman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think Coutts is the same player now as when we first signed him. Similar circumstances. Coming back from a long term injury. The only difference is that back then, most of our fans were screaming for his head, saying he was crap. They couldn't see the good footballer in there and appreciate that he was recovering from a long term injury and it would take time. Now most of our fans are screaming for him to be picked, saying that he's brilliant. They still cannot see that he's a good footballer but is recovering from a long term injury and it will take time.

Indeed - some of the crap was quite simply ridiculous - the fella was signed after a long injury and it took it's toll on him.

The issue for me now is that we have Norwood. We can play Coutts/Norwood/Fleck as has been seen, but it may be that Coutts is used in a different way.

UTB

Indeed - some of the crap was quite simply ridiculous - the fella was signed after a long injury and it took it's toll on him.

The issue for me now is that we have Norwood. We can play Coutts/Norwood/Fleck as has been seen, but it may be that Coutts is used in a different way.

UTB

Well, although I know one poster for sure will strongly disagree with me (Dronnie Blade), but I think Coutts is a more defensive midfielder than Norwood. When Coutts first came he was often played on the right, ahead of Brayford. A position he'd played a lot at Derby. I don't think he ever looked at his best in that more forward role tbh. He's just not great in and around the box - I don't mean he's bad, but he's not much of a goal threat is he? Never has been. When we moved him to play in a more sitting role in the centre, where he was picking the ball up from the defenders and giving and receiving it, to others, helping to work it down the pitch and keep possession, he looked a totally different player. Much more comfortable in that role.

Since he's been out we've signed Norwood - who has taken up that central sitting role and does it really well. What he does in addition though is hit a huge range of forward passes that open up play - and he'll get forward and have a pop at goal himself. Even though he's mainly sitting deep, he's a more effective offensive player than Coutts, imo.

I can't remember which match it was now...but an away match I was at recently, maybe Wigan? Anyhow, they brought Coutts on and Norwood was on the field of play as well. Coutts was put into the more defensive sitting role and Norwood was playing in a more advanced attacking role. So, I think that's how Chris and Alan see it working and it fits with what I see as well.

Ultimately though...I still think there's room for a totally different type of midfielder. One with a skill level above any of what we currently have. Someone who has very good feet, close control, and can take a man on, a bit of pace. Someone willing to run at, and dribble around, defenders. That for me would be an excellent type of player to add to the group. Maybe it's coming? Maybe it's Piazon of Chelsea?

Ultimately though...I still think there's room for a totally different type of midfielder. One with a skill level above any of what we currently have. Someone who has very good feet, close control, and can take a man on, a bit of pace. Someone willing to run at, and dribble around, defenders. That for me would be an excellent type of player to add to the group. Maybe it's coming? Maybe it's Piazon of Chelsea?

Isn't that Dowell?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Freeman go if the right offer comes in....he's not getting the shirt back from Baldock anytime soon and would never have had it anyway if George hadn't picked up an injury. Granted, he played well when he came back into the side but from Forest away onwards he was dire and has rightly been replaced.

With Bash and Cranie as cover for the right side of the defence we have plenty of options.

With Bash and Cranie as cover for the right side of the defence we have plenty of options.

Really? Take Freeman out of the squad and all I see is Baldock and then some emergency options that we wouldn’t want playing that role more than a game or two. Basham’s stints there usually mean in his first game everyone is relieved that he’s not absolutely appalling, followed by a second game where it’s become blindingly obvious how much weaker we are without a proper wing-back playing there, coupled with the weakening of RCB resulting from Basham not being there.

Wilder tries to ensure we have two people in the squad for every position to avoid exactly this kind of disruption.

Would be similar to Liverpool letting Clyne go and the problem they've caused themselves now that TA-A is injured - an injury to Baldock and there's no natural replacement. Unless he's causing issues I'd definitely keep him just in case.

I think Coutts is the same player now as when we first signed him. Similar circumstances. Coming back from a long term injury. The only difference is that back then, most of our fans were screaming for his head, saying he was crap. They couldn't see the good footballer in there and appreciate that he was recovering from a long term injury and it would take time. Now most of our fans are screaming for him to be picked, saying that he's brilliant. They still cannot see that he's a good footballer but is recovering from a long term injury and it will take time.
Think you've got me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Coutts, and he is still a good player, but the games ive watched him playing in,it's obvious he backs off abit more now, which is totally understandable after his injury.
I'm not talking about his ability, nobody can question that, it's more his mental state, he knows how easy it is to get a career changing injury now, and like anyone, if you know it's going to hurt, you going to try and avoid it.

I can't remember which match it was now...but an away match I was at recently, maybe Wigan? Anyhow, they brought Coutts on and Norwood was on the field of play as well. Coutts was put into the more defensive sitting role and Norwood was playing in a more advanced attacking role. So, I think that's how Chris and Alan see it working and it fits with what I see as well.

It was Wigan, we were there also. I liked what I saw when we brought Coutts on and he slotted between Norwood and Fleck. We did the same v Blackburn when down to 10 at home also. The first time we tried this was Blackburn away when we were 1 nil up. CW initially put Coutts in the middle but seeing as it was his first game back it didn't work and after about 5 minutes Coutts went right and Norwood in the middle. Perhaps it was just a bit too early to get Coutts back involved.

As for Norwood being more attacking - I agree - have posted before that Norwood played more advanced last season with Fulham and it was McDonald that held the deep role. Cairney played the left hand role. Fulham certainly made it work and was staggered when they brought in so many in the summer and altered it all.

Our midfield is better than most and quite possibly the best in the division now - big question: can we keep them all fit and fresh. It could be the main reason to success or failure.

UTB

If our Kez put his shooting boots back on then there's no question who youd have in that position.

Can’t fathom anyone wanting to let him leave - we need competition (it pushes both baldock and Freeman)

And as good has george has been, he’s not our most reliable player fitness wise is he? Freeman will have a run again before the end of the season I imagine

Freeman still has an important part to play.

The only senior players we should allow to leave this window are Lafferty and Wright. One has already and the other will have shortly. Everyone else should be staying put for now.

Freeman is my first choice but I also rate Baldock. It's good to have them both. I think the staff are just giving Freeman a rest, more of a mental rest. He'll be back in for the final push.

Baldock is finally starting to play the Freeman roll. He is also at last becoming more of a team player.
He is less afraid now to go forward and work with Basham to produce attacking options. In the last match that also involved Duffy and Norwood at times. He is still a little reluctant to put the ball in at times leading to overplay and opportunity lost.
When Coutts was playing well, Freeman was awesome with Bash making up that trio. The one that most have only just come to realise was the stable factor and team producing player through all of the CW time and before that was one stunningly deceptive Chris Basham.
When/if Freeman gets back in the team, he will need said player to be as productive as before and if Basham is out for any reason with Baldock still in then watch the caution come back into Baldocks play.

FWIW was just passing on what I had been told, which was that a bid was rejected. I can't see it happening either. Whilst bids don't normally go in without a bit of initial encouragement from the player's entourage/agent, not sure Freeman will be rushing to join us. With you in an automatic promotion fight I don't see why you'd offloading bodies in the squad/competition either.

I don’t think Freeman has looked the same without Hardy and Willis alongside him. Baldock is a shoo-in replacement imo.

Any news on why he hasn't been making the squad? We might really need him now

Any news on why he hasn't been making the squad? We might really need him now
Not for me. Same team that went ahead tonight please if Bash and JOC are still out. We’ll cause them all sorts of trouble. If JOC is back then Stevens back to LWB but leave the rest as it was.

Long term though I agree if Baldocks injury is serious.

Doesn't look too well does Freeman. Fair enough he keeps plugging away with whatever he has going on but hopefully Baldock is back soon.

I thought he did ok first half to be honest, but was shocking in the 2nd.

I would stick Cranie back in for Rotherham if Baldock is still injured.

No doubt about it, RWB is the first area to strengthen in the summer. Freeman and Baldock just can't be relied upon to stay fit for a full season sadly.

Poor today, and I very rarely say that.

No poorer than Stevens on the other flank, and I’m not aware of any underlying health concerns with Stevens. Freeman was mostly fine. He won plenty of free-kicks, several corners, but hit it out once and ran it out once under pressure which people will remember more for some reason. Some decent play out left when he was nearest for the Hutchinson chance that was just good play – people again will probably think of that as Freeman being shit rather than asking why Fleck decided to actually purposefully let the ball go past him for that chance...

Not a great game for Freeman. Not a particularly bad game. A 6/10 if I was giving him a mark, and I can think of about 3 or 4 others that would have had the same.

I think there's something going on with him that we're not being told about - an injury, something in his personal life, I don't know. But he isn't looking right at the moment. Not knocking the lad too much, but looks unfit, puffing and panting after 10 mins, he just ran the ball out of play for no reason, and generally doesn't look like he has any energy, or the energy for the RWB position. It's a strange one. But if he isn't up to the levels he's previously set, it's perfectly reasonable to highlight it.

I think there's something going on with him that we're not being told about - an injury, something in his personal life, I don't know. But he isn't looking right at the moment. Not knocking the lad too much, but looks unfit, puffing and panting after 10 mins, he just ran the ball out of play for no reason, and generally doesn't look like he has any energy, or the energy for the RWB position. It's a strange one. But if he isn't up to the levels he's previously set, it's perfectly reasonable to highlight it.

In 18 games he’s started, he’s completed a full 90 in 15 of them and gone deep into the games in all of them – the exception being the Norwich home game when we switched it round after an hour to go for the win.

We have a coaching team at the minute that simply doesn’t allow unfit players to stay on the pitch, or players that are “flagging” or “blowing out their arse”. Wilder has been clear on this in the past. The data-monitoring we have in place means that anyone hitting a red zone in performance levels is lifted. The fact that Freeman tends not to be, despite us having a strong squad with options on the bench to allow this to happen, would suggest that contrary to the popular myth that he’s really unfit, he isn’t. Again, I don’t really understand why he’s being highlighted for particular criticism for last night, a game when half the team put in similarly average performances without questions on their fitness or general health.

Back
Top Bottom