For the first 40 mins..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coolasanidiot

Reaction score
Last nights match was absolute heaven, I cannot wish for my team to play better. Movement invention technical ability all superb.

Yes when they equalised it all went a bit wrong, a bit nervy, and yes WB big guns spoiled what was going so swell.

But come on we are Sheffield United, on this budget it’s plainly and simply fantastic.

Wilder and Knill should be given jobs for lives, the keys to the city.

Thanks thanks and thanks again. Imagine being a Wednesdayite and watching that- it was like watching Arsenal- they must have felt sick to the stomach with envy.

Roll on to next game I can’t wait...

Last nights match was absolute heaven, I cannot wish for my team to play better. Movement invention technical ability all superb.

Yes when they equalised it all went a bit wrong, a bit nervy, and yes WB big guns spoiled what was going so swell.

But come on we are Sheffield United, on this budget it’s plainly and simply fantastic.

Thanks thanks and thanks again. Imagine being a Wednesdayite and watching that- it was like watching Arsenal- they must have felt sick to the stomach with envy.

I think you must sit behind me on the Kop, as that is similar to a conversation I had about 30 minutes into the game (amongst plenty of noisy support, I might add, it was a brief moment of contented reflection). It is very difficult to take at times, but we have to look at the longer-term picture. We have not had a team playing such good football for many years. We would have been grateful for 5 minutes of such football just 3 years ago. But progress in football is almost always gradual, with very occasional exceptions such as Southampton's rise up the leagues. The 2016-17 season was outstanding, but after promotion it is normal for a squad to have to be improved gradually, which has happened in the last 2 years. But because we have not got multi-millions to spend, several teams in the Championship have better individual players than us. When the teams are announced, I often go from optimism to pessimism in seconds. In matches such as WBA, United have had 8 or 9 players playing at the very top of their game, and when that happens, we are more than a match for any team. But if something goes wrong, as in the crazy couple of minutes leading up to the first goal for WBA, then I think the players begin to doubt themselves. Short of bringing in a hypnotist or a witch-doctor or a team of top sports psychologists, I can't think of a quick solution; and we have to hope the ownership problem doesn't bring the gradual squad-building to a halt. But for now, enjoy the roller-coaster ride. There are times when the football being played is as good as anything I have seen in over 60 years at the Lane. Enjoy it, get behind the players to help build their confidence, and cross your fingers that the game-changing mistake in a match doesn't happen. There is much to admire, and a chance, just a chance, that it could develop into something really good.

We just need that bit of quality from final ball or extra bit of movement to finish off the better teams. It's akin to when Kell Brook fought GGG. Out boxed him for majority of the early rounds but didn't have enough to properly hurt him. Then got smashed by harder punches. We can outplay and have enough to beat 80% of the division, but the top 20% can take it and pick us off with superior quality.

New strikers are needed, not a dig at the current ones but we need something extra. I know Defoe has been spoken about, if we could get him on loan in early Jan, we would have so much more threat in the final third.

Agree about the first 40 mins. Unfortunately the last 45 were abysmal. We looked so slow and unfit and seemed to throw the towel in after their 2nd.

Agreed regards the first half, however we’re having way too many second halfs like that in recent months and it’s a cause for concern that our subs can’t change a game for the better, we desperately need someone to fund a few very good championship standard players to add to the ones we’ve got otherwise it could be a ‘what if’ season again.

Agreed regards the first half, however we’re having way too many second halfs like that in recent months and it’s a cause for concern that our subs can’t change a game for the better, we desperately need someone to fund a few very good championship standard players to add to the ones we’ve got otherwise it could be a ‘what if’ season again.
Given our limited resources "what if" represents a pretty good season.

Given our limited resources "what if" represents a pretty good season.
This is typical Blades mentality.

If we fail due to a lack of funds then there’s not only me who’d feel a tad aggrieved about it all. Wilder won’t be happy and he’s the one who is trying to get us promoted, anything other than promotion and I can almost guarantee you that Wilder will see it as failure which is why we should be doing everything possible to keep the best thing to happen to this club in years.

Last season was seen as a good season been our first season back, what we needed this season was progress and we’ve seen progress but the progress could be halted if we don’t see significant funding in January. Wilder won’t accept anything less than significant funding considering him selling Brooks at the start of the season plus the promised significant increased budget that was agreed at the start of the season partly due to the sell-ons we received.

Here we go again.

Even if our owners were speaking they don't have the money to pump millions in

Hardly their fault is it?

Why do you think somebody else should spend millions just to make you happy?

Real football isn't a computer game.

P.S. Wilder knows the score.

Here we go again.

It’s just frustrating knowing how close we are to a promotion winning squad.

It doesn’t take “£50M” like you said, it will just take the transfer fees and reported sell on clauses to be released to Wilder if he so chooses to spend it.

Remember, Wilder won’t pay over the odds for anybody so why can’t we trust him with a top 6 budget? That’s disrespectful to the manager and puts into question his managerial credentials.

A computer game? :)

Here we go again.

McCabe doesn’t have the funds or desire to take us forward but continues to make us an unattractive option for any potential buyer.

There are numerous example of clubs that are smaller and have less potential than us attracting very rich buyers. Like it or not, finishing top 6 in the Championship is virtually impossible without substantial financial backing.

McCabe doesn’t have the funds or desire to take us forward but continues to make us an unattractive option for any potential buyer.

There are numerous example of clubs that are smaller and have less potential than us attracting very rich buyers. Like it or not, finishing top 6 in the Championship is virtually impossible without substantial financial backing.
Completely agree except that I can't see what he's doing that makes us an "unattractive proposition"

It’s just frustrating knowing how close we are to a promotion winning squad.

It doesn’t take “£50M” like you said, it will just take the transfer fees and reported sell on clauses to be released to Wilder if he so chooses to spend it.

Remember, Wilder won’t pay over the odds for anybody so why can’t we trust him with a top 6 budget? That’s disrespectful to the manager and puts into question his managerial credentials.

A computer game? :)
Where have I said £50m?

On computer games you can buy and sell for fun without having to balance the books ( I think, I don't actually play em)

Great, when they introduce 40 minute matches, we'll smash this Fukin league.

We just need that bit of quality from final ball or extra bit of movement to finish off the better teams.

New strikers are needed, not a dig at the current ones but we need something extra. I know Defoe has been spoken about, if we could get him on loan in early Jan, we would have so much more threat in the final third.

We are really struggling to find a way through crowded defences at home. We've managed that just four times this season (11 matches), once in our last six, and that was against Wigan when we were already 3-1 up.

Goals scored stats 161218.jpg

We must get more out of our dominance, as it's not producing enough goals at the moment.

From the last few matches I think we (Stevens in particular) have crossed the ball a bit quicker/earlier and broken with more urgency, giving us 4 Cat B goals (breaks/winning the ball high up) in our last 5 games. There wasn't much wrong with our game/first 30-40 minutes against WBA, we combined good possession with good pressing and also broke well (quickly). We're good at that part.

But going ahead affected us. Gradually we became a bit reluctant to go forward as much as we did at the start, understandably reluctant to take too many risks. The trouble is that this handed over the initiative to WBA, giving a game pattern that we're not very good at. Friday's starting line up aren't great at soaking up the pressure and hitting teams on the break. The resultant struggle and goal conceded made us lose confidence, and we didn't seem to know how to deal with the situation. It's happened a few times this season that we've lost our shape after the break, with reactive substitutions rarely helping.

Where have I said £50m?

On computer games you can buy and sell for fun without having to balance the books ( I think, I don't actually play em)
I thought I saw you write it somewhere but if you didn’t I apologise, I’ve definitely seen someone write it earlier but I can’t find it.

My point is that we don’t need to spend shitloads, we need to spend whatever Wilder needs to get us promoted. I’m one of the few by the looks of it that sees us missing out on the playoffs as a huge missed opportunity and that’s what I think will happen if we don’t invest in a few very good championship standard players. I suppose we’ll have to wait and see but it shouldn’t stop us debating it.

You play on them all the time. :)

I thought I saw you write it somewhere but if you didn’t I apologise, I’ve definitely seen someone write it earlier but I can’t find it.

My point is that we don’t need to spend shitloads, we need to spend whatever Wilder needs to get us promoted. I’m one of the few by the looks of it that sees us missing out on the playoffs as a huge missed opportunity and that’s what I think will happen if we don’t invest in a few very good championship standard players. I suppose we’ll have to wait and see but it shouldn’t stop us debating it.

You play on them all the time. :)
Fully agree and it's frustrating but I'm old enough, and I think wise enough, not to get hung up on things that I can't influence and far too old to understand computer games.

I'm still trying to work my Acorn Electron out

We are really struggling to find a way through crowded defences at home. We've managed that just four times this season (11 matches), once in our last six, and that was against Wigan when we were already 3-1 up.

View attachment 46982

We must get more out of our dominance, as it's not producing enough goals at the moment.

From the last few matches I think we (Stevens in particular) have crossed the ball a bit quicker/earlier and broken with more urgency, giving us 4 Cat B goals (breaks/winning the ball high up) in our last 5 games. There wasn't much wrong with our game/first 30-40 minutes against WBA, we combined good possession with good pressing and also broke well (quickly). We're good at that part.

But going ahead affected us. Gradually we became a bit reluctant to go forward as much as we did at the start, understandably reluctant to take too many risks. The trouble is that this handed over the initiative to WBA, giving a game pattern that we're not very good at. Friday's starting line up aren't great at soaking up the pressure and hitting teams on the break. The resultant struggle and goal conceded made us lose confidence, and we didn't seem to know how to deal with the situation. It's happened a few times this season that we've lost our shape after the break, with reactive substitutions rarely helping.
I’ve commented on a few posts regarding our lack of impetus after making substitutions, I think Wilder can improve in this department tremendously but ultimately we need a few better calibre of players for the way we play.

Fully agree and it's frustrating but I'm old enough, and I think wise enough, not to get hung up on things that I can't influence and far too old to understand computer games.

I'm still trying to work my Acorn Electron out
:D

View attachment 46982

Yer cud 'a said we just need a big dirty centre forward. :D

people seem to forget we are still adjusting to this level
teams thats been in here years struggle in it

boro villa forest and others spent fortunes trying to be where we are

yes disappointing to lose , always is but so long as we react to it and show we are still going for it
as the op said , bring it on , its entertaining

Yeah we're punching above our weight, let's be grateful blah blah blah...

For me it's simple - if we're not going to spend the Brooks money (and CW has confirmed we haven't even touched it yet) then why sell him?? Investing just half of that in wages/fees January should see us look much better for the rest of the season.

For me it's simple

Spending other people's money always is.

if we're not going to spend the Brooks money (and CW has confirmed we haven't even touched it yet) then why sell him?? Investing just half of that in wages/fees January should see us look much better for the rest of the season.

We HAVE SPENT IT!

The money was used to cover the losses that we will incur with the existing squad. We even had to borrow against the future amounts due. It's gone on wages/fees as you wanted, but for our existing lot.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no tea caddy with £11m in used notes sat on the mantelpiece awaiting a January splurge.

Every week, same old shit. We’re not going up. Even if we make the playoffs we won’t win.

No, I don’t know it for a fact, I do know it’s by far the most likely income. If posters haven’t seen how far off we are after Friday then I give up.

Spending other people's money always is.

We HAVE SPENT IT!

The money was used to cover the losses that we will incur with the existing squad. We even had to borrow against the future amounts due. It's gone on wages/fees as you wanted, but for our existing lot.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no tea caddy with £11m in used notes sat on the mantelpiece awaiting a January splurge.

So Chris Wilder is clueless and spouting rubbish then?

Back
Top Bottom