Footballing Families at the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anybody remember the Robinson twins, I think they played for the juniors in the 60s
I got to know George since 2009 through his son. George's grandson is a friend of my son's through playing football and sitting together in the South stand for a few seasons. George was a lovely man and showed me photos of when he was at SUFC. He told me he went to Shirecliffe during the 2011-12 and approached Frank Barlow (Wilson's assistant at the time) and asked him "Do you remember me?" Frank was puzzled and then George said "I was known as one of the Bumbles". Frank then said "of course" and gave him a hug before having a long chat about their time at SUFC in the mid 1960s. When Woody came over from USA in 2014, George came over to him in the Lane social club and Woody recognised him straight away saying "Bumble" and they had a photo taken and published in the SUFC programme. George is no longer with us. I never got to meet his brother Bill as he passed away before I got to know George.

LSF knew the twins quite well.

I got to know George since 2009 through his son. George's grandson is a friend of my son's through playing football and sitting together in the South stand for a few seasons. George was a lovely man and showed me photos of when he was at SUFC. He told me he went to Shirecliffe during the 2011-12 and approached Frank Barlow (Wilson's assistant at the time) and asked him "Do you remember me?" Frank was puzzled and then George said "I was known as one of the Bumbles". Frank then said "of course" and gave him a hug before having a long chat about their time at SUFC in the mid 1960s. When Woody came over from USA in 2014, George came over to him in the Lane social club and Woody recognised him straight away saying "Bumble" and they had a photo taken and published in the SUFC programme. George is no longer with us. I never got to meet his brother Bill as he passed away before I got to know George.

As Silent says, George was an absolute gent, a lovely bloke and very knowledgable re the Blades in the 60's.
Once United released the twins, they flirted with non league briefly and George (I think) had a spell at Doncaster.
Time in local league football was brief for them both as they struggled weight wise and consequently with knee troubles.
George had a spell managing Arbourthorne EA and always followed them throughout 70s/80s.
Bill was the quieter of the two and remained single up to his death.
As schoolboys and products of Wybourn Sec school they both played for Sheffield Schools U15 where I first saw them play on the Ball Inn. They were outstanding prospects, both strong, skilful and visionary.
However their weight gain was always against them. Maybe today's better nutrional standards in the game may have seen them prosper more.

As Silent says, George was an absolute gent, a lovely bloke and very knowledgable re the Blades in the 60's.
Once United released the twins, they flirted with non league briefly and George (I think) had a spell at Doncaster.
Time in local league football was brief for them both as they struggled weight wise and consequently with knee troubles.
George had a spell managing Arbourthorne EA and always followed them throughout 70s/80s.
As schoolboys and products of Wybourn Sec school they both played for Sheffield Schools U15 where I first saw them play on the Ball Inn. They were outstanding prospects, both strong, skilful and visionary.
However their weight gain was always against them. Maybe today's better nutrional standards in the game may have seen them prosper more.
George was indeed a lovely bloke and did go to Doncaster Rovers.He had good few seasons with the EA and knew a lot of people in the local footballing circles and I've only just realised who silent is😉His grandson was pretty tasty too UTB

Lovely post. I had a quick look through my programmes, and none of the Juniors progs I have show either of the Robinsons. The 63-64 first-team programmes listed probationary professionals, and they are listed, but don’t appear to have made it into the reserves that season. There are some other names of interest in the same category:
8D8EDD0E-AB6F-4486-BF30-8909522ABAEC.jpeg4FCC8153-F670-451A-90E4-275B11552583.jpeg

Charlie Field who played in the 1901 FA Cup final

I can’t make the connections. Oakey (senior) was a nickname, he came from Birmingham; Phil Oakey has that nickname as his surname, was also born in the Midlands, moved to Sheffield as a teenager. It has the makings of an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

Lovely post. I had a quick look through my programmes, and none of the Juniors progs I have show either of the Robinsons. The 63-64 first-team programmes listed probationary professionals, and they are listed, but don’t appear to have made it into the reserves that season. There are some other names of interest in the same category:
View attachment 98112View attachment 98113

Bill left us in 1965 to join S6 and you can see in the programme that they played each other!

John Fleck's uncle is Robert Fleck. The Baldocks too. Then Phil and Stephen Jagielka but not sure if Stephen actually ever played a game for us.
John Flecks brother Jimmy Fleck also played for us last season, not sure if he’s Robert Flecks son or whether John Fleck has more uncles? 🤔

Harry maguire has a brother , I believe plays for chesterfield or did.
Side not David Munks Was a uncle of mine I believe but I never played even semi pro so off topic 😉

Neil "expose yourself to kids" Shipperley's dad Dave is considered a bit of a Charlton legend alongside Gavin Peacock's dad Keith.

View attachment 98112View attachment 98113

That game against Wolves was one of my first matches. I think we won 4-3. It may well have been Easter Tuesday when there were usually 3 matches played over 4 days.

I remember the Charlton legends.

Jack and Bobby, helped West Ham win the world Cup.
A third brother, merchant seaman, had a run out with Stockport.
Bobbys daughter used to forecast the weather, wrongly, on tv.

Back
Top Bottom