Footballing Families at the Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HodgysBrokenThumb

Reaction score
In doing a little research for the ‘60 Years Ago This Month’ thread (shameless plug), I recently came across 2 family connections I had been unaware of. Paul Simpson, who was on loan to us at one time, is the nephew of Ronnie Simpson, Blades left-winger of the late 50s/early 60s; and Joe Nibloe, a promising youngster scoring goals for us 60 years ago, was the son of a Joe Nibloe who won the Cup with Wednesday in 1935. Sadly, young Joe was killed in a road accident in 1964. This set me thinking about members of the same family who have played for United, and United players whose family members were professional footballers elsewhere. I am not aware of a previous thread on this.
Several pairs of family members who played for Utd are well-known - Graham/Bernard Shaw, Tommy/Jamie Hoyland, Colin/Lee Morris, Tony/Barrie Wagstaff come readily to mind, and a little more digging produces the names Philliskirk, Scott, Short, Smith, and from longer ago, Sampy. Pairs of brothers are most frequent, and quite often played the same position.
There must be many more United players with a family member who played elsewhere - Alan Kelly, David Holdsworth, Len Allchurch, Tony Currie, Mike Lake, and John Hope readily came to mind. There must be lots more. Alan Kelly clearly followed in his father’s footsteps.
Who will be the first family to have had a presence in both the men’s and the women’s team?

Twins (I understand) Sam & Jake Kelly featured regularly for U18 U23 Academy teams in recent seasons

John Fleck's uncle is Robert Fleck. The Baldocks too. Then Phil and Stephen Jagielka but not sure if Stephen actually ever played a game for us.

In doing a little research for the ‘60 Years Ago This Month’ thread (shameless plug), I recently came across 2 family connections I had been unaware of. Paul Simpson, who was on loan to us at one time, is the nephew of Ronnie Simpson, Blades left-winger of the late 50s/early 60s; and Joe Nibloe, a promising youngster scoring goals for us 60 years ago, was the son of a Joe Nibloe who won the Cup with Wednesday in 1935. Sadly, young Joe was killed in a road accident in 1964. This set me thinking about members of the same family who have played for United, and United players whose family members were professional footballers elsewhere. I am not aware of a previous thread on this.
Several pairs of family members who played for Utd are well-known - Graham/Bernard Shaw, Tommy/Jamie Hoyland, Colin/Lee Morris, Tony/Barrie Wagstaff come readily to mind, and a little more digging produces the names Philliskirk, Scott, Short, Smith, and from longer ago, Sampy. Pairs of brothers are most frequent, and quite often played the same position.
There must be many more United players with a family member who played elsewhere - Alan Kelly, David Holdsworth, Len Allchurch, Tony Currie, Mike Lake, and John Hope readily came to mind. There must be lots more. Alan Kelly clearly followed in his father’s footsteps.
Who will be the first family to have had a presence in both the men’s and the women’s team?
Kevin Gage's stepdaughter Izzy Ford is on United's books

Add to ‘father and son Utd and Wednesday’ category Dean and Josh Windass.

Here's one from memory so could be wrong Andy Woodward and his more illustrious uncle Alan.

Tony Wagstaff and his brother Barry played in the sixties for the Blades i think.

As already noted. sorry, should have read properly in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom