Football in a Library

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really quiet on Westfield HEATH Upper.....so frustrating...team needed us in the last 20 mins and as hard as I tried to get people to stir and encourage the team.....silence.....frustrating!! I know we are all nervous and as Blades we are always expecting us to screw up ..and maybe we are all expecting too much now but COME ON BLADES, get behind the lads, they are doing more than their bit, they are playing brilliantly!

The atmosphere on Westfield Heath only picks up when the doggers arrive.

I must admit it was quiet at times today and it was last week as well.

Strange considering Wednesday were losing early as well.

Not sure those who sit on or close to the kop are aware of how poorly it travels to the away end. You can't really hear a great deal unless other sections join in which they rarely do.

I don't understand why people get so touchy about the atmosphere being criticised. For how well we're doing it should be louder.

Not sure many fan bases generate a fantastic atmosphere for early season games against opponents with no animosity or recent history regardless of league position. I think we do ok. It's a big, open stadium and on a good day it's loud as fuck - I can live with that

Not sure those who sit on or close to the kop are aware of how poorly it travels to the away end. You can't really hear a great deal unless other sections join in which they rarely do.

I don't understand why people get so touchy about the atmosphere being criticised. For how well we're doing it should be louder.

Spot on.

It doesn't help that just about all the noise on the Kop comes from the back, and it doesn't help that the Kop's built at a shallow rake.

It's another reason to target the BLUT because the acoustics there are much better.

Last edited:
Took my 6 year old daughter on JSS today, the block next to the Kop, and they (the Kop) didn't stop singing all game ... much of the time I was thinking f**k me I hope little 'un doesn't pick up on some of these words.

You will dread the day when she wakes you up early doors on a matchday morning, and you open your sleep filled crusty eyes to see her smiling beaming face, your heart sinks as you know what she is going to ask, you break out in cold sweats and start to shiver, your body goes all weak and limpless, your missus wakes up takes the situation in at a glance and dissapears downstairs to make a much need cuppa and then you hear the dreaded words......

"daddy, is it Maggots or Magnet?......"
:rolleyes::)

Got to the ground about 5 minutes before the teams came out yesterday, and it was like being dropped abruptly out of a mundane, autumn-grey world into a crackling, tense, expectant, raucous, celebratory universe full of colour and excitement. And it didn't let up until half time. AND I sit in the South.

Atmosphere isn't just about singing.

Couldn't disagree more with OP.

Took my 6 year old daughter on JSS today, the block next to the Kop, and they (the Kop) didn't stop singing all game ... much of the time I was thinking f**k me I hope little 'un doesn't pick up on some of these words.

I had the same issue, but all the swearing was coming from the two blokes without kids sat behind us on JSS. I'm hoping half term gives enough time for two 8 year olds to forget what they heard!

Ipswich & Reading games have been dire atmospheres especially in G & H blocks, first few home games the fans were awesome but now seem to have gone very quiet and becoming expectant. Get behind the boys and drive them through the nervy times like today. FFS we have only just come up - teams are gonna have stages in games were we are on the back foot and it’s up to us to help them through it not winge & moan, come on you red & white wizards

Would you care to elaborate? Which part of the ground are you referring to? (I assume South Stand but there may be G and H blocks in other parts of the ground for all I know).

I moved today to the South stand to sit with a mate. The atmosphere was really good even there

I sit in the South Stand every game - I really haven't a clue what the OP is on about tbh. I think the atmosphere was good at both the Reading and Ipswich games. As someone pointed out - the OP has very few posts to his name and is probably just coming on here to throw a bit of cold water on things. Either that or he's stone fuckin deaf?

Look at Stoke. Used to be a dogshit atmosphere at the Britannia when they were bumping along in lower mid table Championship, now its an absolute bear pit.

We can top that.
May be so ,but that Delilah song is grusome , i will stick to swinging a pig , for my Horror chant if you dont mind .

I was intending to go on the BLUT at the next home match instead of the back of the kop, i’m told it’s the best view in the ground. Reading this thread not sure I want to now if it’s as dead as a dodo

On the stream the atmosphere for the last 10 mins was at fever pitch. Not much singing but the whole crowd seemed to be roaring the team on to keep hold of the victory.

I don't think it was that bad in H yesterday. Better than the Ipswich game.

We get our rendition of 'Sheff United, hallelujah, hallelujah' twice a game. What more do you want?

As a side note, BLUT looked a lot more full yesterday.

South Stand for me and have to say that the atmosphere was cracking. Not much singing but everyone was very vocal and applauded throughout the game.
Last 10 mins the noise in whole ground wound up a notch but all positive I thought.
Highlight was an old guy behind me who, when they scored said “ Fookin’ ‘ell, Delia will be jumpin’ abart nah”. Took a while but his mates then realised he’d confused them with Norwich - queue hilarious abuse

i thought people had a point v ipswich. but i had a conscious thought during the 2nd half that actually its been quite good today. i thought in last 10 mins when reading chucked the kitchen sink at us we encouraged even wilder mentioned it was 1st class.

it cant be amazing for 90 mins thats impossible not even in dortmund always will be lull. but to be honest. im thinking there is no pleasing some people. someone will always thought wasnt loud enough

Our young un has started coming to the Lane this season, we sit on the kop and i'm afraid it's futile trying to shelter their ears from the colourful language. Even worse when we got back home and she starts singing Sheffield Wednesday fucked it up again, the Mrs not happy!

Baffled by the OP's comments. It was rocking on the kop as it has been all season. The atmosphere got very tense towards the end. I didn't hear anything from other parts of the ground though. G&H were very quiet.

One thing that did disappoint me was the number of people who left at the final whistle and didn't stay behind to give the players the now customary rousing round of applause.

I don't think it was that bad in H yesterday. Better than the Ipswich game.

We get our rendition of 'Sheff United, hallelujah, hallelujah' twice a game. What more do you want?

As a side note, BLUT looked a lot more full yesterday.

I’ve always liked that “........hallelujah, hallelujah” chant, takes me back..... and now i’ve Just learned it’s a hard word to spell.

Might go in H block just so I can chant that

I was in the BLUT and whilst I’ve been in much louder and more intimidating atmospheres at the Lane, what struck me yesterday was the general mood of support and positivity around the ground.

There were no jeers for misplaced passes (not that it happens much at the moment), no abuse if a piece of skill didn’t come off and the “stop messin abart and gerrit forard” brigade didn’t appear to be in attendance.

Instead there were enthusiastic rounds of applause for good passages of play, chants for individual players having good games (notably Coutts and Leon) and universal standing ovations for the subs.

Stop worrying about the noise levels (it will follow if this season carries on in the same vein) and stick with the positive vibes, man ✌️
The Lane is an enjoyable place to be right now.

I’ve always liked that “........hallelujah, hallelujah” chant, takes me back..... and now i’ve Just learned it’s a hard word to spell.

Might go in H block just so I can chant that
I might join you!

I know it's all about opinions, but how come we've got one thread going about the Lane being the best atmosphere in the country, and another about it being a library? Are all other grounds like morgues? Or have libraries got noisier?

Our young un has started coming to the Lane this season, we sit on the kop and i'm afraid it's futile trying to shelter their ears from the colourful language. Even worse when we got back home and she starts singing Sheffield Wednesday fucked it up again, the Mrs not happy!

very true. I learnt early on with my neice I take whose 9 but going 4ish yrs. epsically under weir & adkins. that unless your putting noise cancelling headphones on its pointless & she is going to hear a lot of bad words. I just told her & had an agreement the words you hear are not to be repeated outside of this ground as for a while I had nightmare of my sister ringing me up, get told off of something she said in playground. luckily she stuck to agreement

although I tell my her all referees have a 2nd job at hsbc & kop are just pointing out that referee is a banker :D

Back
Top Bottom