Flat 3 in midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Akinbiyi

Banned
Reaction score
If the friendlies are anything to go by we’ll be starting the season AGAIN with a flat 3 and shudder John Lundstram as part of it. In the Premier League.

So judging on how it went last season we can throw the first 2 games once Chris realises it doesn’t work and starts using a number 10 again.

Leicester watch out. We’re coming for you.

Clearly he isn’t - but the side and formation he has played today and in the friendlies generally is bonkers.

Overlapping centre backs is the most bonkers thing I’ve heard.....he tried it and it’s worked.
Friendlies are there to experiment, try stuff and gain match fitness....the result is irrelevant really.

• Banned
Clearly he isn’t - but the side and formation he has played today and in the friendlies generally is bonkers.
It’s not bonkers, it’s not far off what we play

But Lundstram keeps getting a shirt and it’s a flat 3 which is alarming. Reminds me of the beginning of last year.

So?
Personally I'd play my strongest team now, I would try a couple of things out but a week before kickoff the fringe players wouldn't be getting a look in anymore, but what do we know?

• Banned
So?
Personally I'd play my strongest team now, I would try a couple of things out but a week before kickoff the fringe players wouldn't be getting a look in anymore, but what do we know?
I do agree with that but we’ve played that flat 3 in midfield all season

Think it’s going to be hard for Freeman to slot into our 10 role and know what to expect with no match experience in it

I went ballistic about this setup with "Lunny" last season and im getting riled up again and even more scared about what it would look like in the prem.

Chris often tries new things at the start of the season. Works out they are not the right fit and tweaks.

Be fine when Duffy is back in the fold.

Chris often tries new things at the start of the season. Works out they are not the right fit and tweaks.

Be fine when Duffy is back in the fold.
You can afford to do that in the football league. We can’t afford to do that this season.

If Lunny starts 1 game, it’s 1 game far too many.

I don't think we can afford to try out Lundstram in the first few games again. Especially given the opposition and how important those points will likely be.

I hope I'm wrong but I think if we go with the flat 3 featuring Lundstram in those first two games we will see the same results as we did at the start of last season.

If it's a flat 3 then we need 2 new signings. Fleck is going to struggle so we need a box to box midfielder and of course a defensive type as Lunny is not going to cut it at Premiership level.

If it's a flat 3 then we need 2 new signings. Fleck is going to struggle so we need a box to box midfielder and of course a defensive type as Lunny is not going to cut it at Premiership level.
I’d argue he’s barely cut it at Championship level?

But I disagree about Fleck. For me he’s the one I’m not worried about.

I’d argue he’s barely cut it at Championship level?

But I disagree about Fleck. For me he’s the one I’m not worried about.

I think Norwoods quality on the ball will work out well, Ravel will also would fit into a 3. But the defensive middie we don't have.

Would we really be any worse defensively with McGoldrick and Robinson playing behind a striker?

More possession. More threat. More outlets. More bodies to defend from the front.

Or are we better with Lundstram hurtling about lunging into tackles he never makes? McGoldrick wins more challenges than him.

Would we really be any worse defensively with McGoldrick and Robinson playing behind a striker?

More possession. More threat. More outlets. More bodies to defend from the front.

Or are we better with Lundstram hurtling about lunging into tackles he never makes? McGoldrick wins more challenges than him.

And Goldie is a box to box striker, gets back and makes tackles.

Oi Nah then.

He left one on Grealish last season remember.

Remember?

Oi nah then

Remember?

It’s pre-season. If Wilder wants Lundstram to play a part in the opening game then I’ll back him. It’s almost as if Lundstram is the second coming Dean Hammond judging by the overreactions on here. As soon as we don’t win a game everyone’s on his case. Embarrassing.

It’s pre-season. If Wilder wants Lundstram to play a part in the opening game then I’ll back him. It’s almost as if Lundstram is the second coming Dean Hammond judging by the overreactions on here. As soon as we don’t win a game everyone’s on his case. Embarrassing.
Can I get credit for being on his case even if we win. Principles and all that. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly. Some people always want a scapegoat when things aren't going well, and then people just pile in hurling abuse at them. I've got no doubt that if Lundsram plays v Bournemouth and we lose, he'll be singled out by some even if he had a decent game. Its a bullying mentality.

Wilder and Knill know what they're doing. No one can doubt that. They'll be pondering tactics and formations day and night. We now have a talented squad that can be tweaked in a number of ways depending on the opposition. If CWAK want to try a set up that involves Lunny that's fine by me. We need to get behind all the players 100%, and not single out individuals

Back
Top Bottom