'Memries' First away trip Bramall Lane 69

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Glastotorfox

Reaction score
Blades fans of a certain age may be interested in this - My first away trip was at the Lane December 6th 1969 to see my team Leicester City, I remember the ground was three sided, half the ground was a cricket pitch. I still have the programme, blades line up - Alan Hodgkinson, Len Badger, Ted Hemsley, Frank Barlow, Eddie Colquhoun, Dave Powell, Alan Woodward, Tony Currie, Colin Addison, Geoff Salmons, Gil Reece, the game was won by a Colin Addison goal. There was little segregation in the crowd then, I remember standing next to Blades fans and it was all good banter. There was however some trouble, I came up on the football special, loads of skinheads - docs, stay press and Harrington jackets being in fashion, not me of course I was only 12. The Leicester fans arrived in the ground early and stood in the Kop, it kicked off about an hour before kick off and the away fans were lead out by the old bill. Both teams were promoted the following season, United had a pretty good team with the great Tony Currie and the excellent Alan Woodward, I think it was Woodward who scored direct from a corner to win the 70/71 game at Filbert Street 1-0 and put United top of division 1 if I remember right? it was early season so maybe September? Another memory of Sheffield United was the Micky Speight Testimonial dinner in early 1980, the reason I was there was an invite from my boss, a massive blades fan. At the dinner was the great Alex Sabella, I remember talking to some of the players about having Sabella in their team, all said he was brilliant but was being kicked every week, I think the blades were in division 3 then, incredible to have a player of that talent at that level then. Like everyone I was really sorry to hear that he's no longer with us, anyone who saw him play was very lucky. I really hope Chris Wilder and his team pull this around, last season was a great story, the fact that the blades had come up with players who had been in the third tier and were right up with the big clubs was quite something. Fans of other clubs were seeing what could be done without spending big and having a fair few British players in the team. I hope the fight starts today....

Woody's goal direct from a corner was in Sept 1971 so it was 71/72.

Addison's goal in 1969 can be viewed in Youtube

Didn't Woody score from a corner against Blackburn? It was the one time I sat in the top tier of the Bramall Lane stand and my younger brother's first game. However my memory isn't what it used to be....

My 1st away match was vs Burnley at Turf Moor in 1961 (I think) & we went by Sheffield United Tours. No, not the club's fan club coach - SUT developed into National Travel - & the fare was bought on the coach. This was obviously when paying at the turnstile was more common that buying a ticket. The journey over was a bit hairy as it was snowing heavily. I vaguely remember somebody had a transistor radio which would pick the BBC & he kept track as to whether the match would be played. It was & we lost 6 - 1. The only memorable incident in the match was Billy Russell hitting a shot , with all his 10 stone behind it, & Adam Blacklaw the Burnley goalie, catching it with one hand. Been a Blades supporter since 1957 & the men in the white coats haven't found me yet!

My 1st away match was vs Burnley at Turf Moor in 1961 (I think) & we went by Sheffield United Tours. No, not the club's fan club coach - SUT developed into National Travel - & the fare was bought on the coach. This was obviously when paying at the turnstile was more common that buying a ticket. The journey over was a bit hairy as it was snowing heavily. I vaguely remember somebody had a transistor radio which would pick the BBC & he kept track as to whether the match would be played. It was & we lost 6 - 1. The only memorable incident in the match was Billy Russell hitting a shot , with all his 10 stone behind it, & Adam Blacklaw the Burnley goalie, catching it with one hand. Been a Blades supporter since 1957 & the men in the white coats haven't found me yet!
Lost 4-2 in December 1961

Didn't Woody score from a corner against Blackburn? It was the one time I sat in the top tier of the Bramall Lane stand and my younger brother's first game. However my memory isn't what it used to be....
Dont think so, see link below. As far as I am aware, he scored direct from a corner were Newcastle (h) in Sept 69, Leicester (a) in Sept 71, Coventry (h) Nov 71 and Norwich (h) Jan 73

Blades fans of a certain age may be interested in this - My first away trip was at the Lane December 6th 1969 to see my team Leicester City, I remember the ground was three sided, half the ground was a cricket pitch. I still have the programme, blades line up - Alan Hodgkinson, Len Badger, Ted Hemsley, Frank Barlow, Eddie Colquhoun, Dave Powell, Alan Woodward, Tony Currie, Colin Addison, Geoff Salmons, Gil Reece, the game was won by a Colin Addison goal. There was little segregation in the crowd then, I remember standing next to Blades fans and it was all good banter. There was however some trouble, I came up on the football special, loads of skinheads - docs, stay press and Harrington jackets being in fashion, not me of course I was only 12. The Leicester fans arrived in the ground early and stood in the Kop, it kicked off about an hour before kick off and the away fans were lead out by the old bill. Both teams were promoted the following season, United had a pretty good team with the great Tony Currie and the excellent Alan Woodward, I think it was Woodward who scored direct from a corner to win the 70/71 game at Filbert Street 1-0 and put United top of division 1 if I remember right? it was early season so maybe September? Another memory of Sheffield United was the Micky Speight Testimonial dinner in early 1980, the reason I was there was an invite from my boss, a massive blades fan. At the dinner was the great Alex Sabella, I remember talking to some of the players about having Sabella in their team, all said he was brilliant but was being kicked every week, I think the blades were in division 3 then, incredible to have a player of that talent at that level then. Like everyone I was really sorry to hear that he's no longer with us, anyone who saw him play was very lucky. I really hope Chris Wilder and his team pull this around, last season was a great story, the fact that the blades had come up with players who had been in the third tier and were right up with the big clubs was quite something. Fans of other clubs were seeing what could be done without spending big and having a fair few British players in the team. I hope the fight starts today....

Great post.

Glastotorfox Mrs BoSS and I lived in Glastonbury for two years back in the mid 90s. I love that place and the people. Carnival was brilliant but we came back to Leeds during festival weekend to get away from the hedge-monkeys ;) . For the first year she (while she was down for work at a slipper manufacturer called Bray's) stayed in the George & Pilgrims Hotel and then when I'd sold our house in Silsden Between Keighley and Skipton), we moved into what had been the George's old cider shop and it was being used for accommodation. I worked in a place in Wells called Clare's where they made shopping trolleys for supermarkets. We both worked long hours and I never once went up the Tor because I thought we'd live there permanently and I'd make it up one day. Both of those companies now long gone, I believe. Do you still live there?

Glastotorfox Mrs BoSS and I lived in Glastonbury for two years back in the mid 90s. I love that place and the people. Carnival was brilliant but we came back to Leeds during festival weekend to get away from the hedge-monkeys ;) . For the first year she (while she was down for work at a slipper manufacturer called Bray's) stayed in the George & Pilgrims Hotel and then when I'd sold our house in Silsden Between Keighley and Skipton), we moved into what had been the George's old cider shop and it was being used for accommodation. I worked in a place in Wells called Clare's where they made shopping trolleys for supermarkets. We both worked long hours and I never once went up the Tor because I thought we'd live there permanently and I'd make it up one day. Both of those companies now long gone, I believe. Do you still live there?
I Live in Glastonbury and worked at Brays for nearly 10 years, but would have left by the time your wife worked there. Clares was a well known employer in the area, and, yes they are both long gone. If you ever come back, you must go up the Tor as the views are fantastic. Make sure it's in summer though, as the slightest breeze at the bottom is a hurricane at the top

I Live in Glastonbury and worked at Brays for nearly 10 years, but would have left by the time your wife worked there. Clares was a well known employer in the area, and, yes they are both long gone. If you ever come back, you must go up the Tor as the views are fantastic. Make sure it's in summer though, as the slightest breeze at the bottom is a hurricane at the top
She was a Sales Director for them and IIRC it was between 92 and 94. There were some lovely folk worked at Brays and we had some great social evening. There was a Yeovil Town there called Geoff or Greg I think it was. Pete Snook (I think) as well. At Clare's there were a few members of the Chant family who lived in Glastonbury. Thanks for the tip re the Tor. Is there still that shop on High Street where a woman sits inside a pyramid structure and do the breezes gently waft the scent of weed down High Street in summer?

She was a Sales Director for them and IIRC it was between 92 and 94. There were some lovely folk worked at Brays and we had some great social evening. There was a Yeovil Town there called Geoff or Greg I think it was. Pete Snook (I think) as well. At Clare's there were a few members of the Chant family who lived in Glastonbury. Thanks for the tip re the Tor. Is there still that shop on High Street where a woman sits inside a pyramid structure and do the breezes gently waft the scent of weed down High Street in summer?
I left to work at Clarks in Shepton in 1985 but I think my brother would still have been there in the early 90's. I loved my time at Brays, it was a real family atmosphere, and always regretted leaving when I did. I think I remember Pete Snook and I know most of the Chants. As for the shop in the High Street, I can't actually remember that, but there's still all sorts of weird and wonderful shops, people and smells. I prefer the old Glastonbury with 'proper' shops and remember walking down the High Street on a Saturday afternoon to the Abbey Park to watch the Dollies in the old Western League when Glastonbury had a decent football team. The type of shop we have now seems to divide opinion. Locals shop out of town, but at least tourists come to experience the High Street and keep it busy rather than boarded up

I first saw Leicester at the Lane during our 1967/68 relegation season. Leicester fans on the kop that day.

I also remember the season we both went up, I think we won 1-0 at the Lane and drew 0-0 at Filbert street. I saw us lose twice, both 3-0, one League and one FACup, at Filbert street in the 1970s. The 5-2 game was next, had a Blades fan who kept feeding me " positive" news from Hillsborough sat next to me, I was ready to punch him for winding me up, after wards discovered Wendy had indeed been relegated.

Back
Top Bottom