first away game watching the blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1960-61 was the promotion season. We won 5-0, the half time score was 1-0. Scorers were Russell , Pace 2, Kettleborough 2.

Wednesday 22nd February 1961. You said the match was played in the afternoon, so there were no floodlights at Sincil Bank at the time?
Not sure about the floodlight situation but I wagged the day off school to go kick off was 3-00 on Tues or Wed .
Yes was 5 -0 memory playing tricks on me again.We were poor in 1st half but hammered them in 2ND half.

Phoned my grandad on the Friday night “can we go to forest tomorrow?” Aye, come on lad.

I must have been 13/14. We lost 3-0 (early 2000s). A couple in front of us were all over each other slobbering their faces off. Every time forest scored she stood up and gave the wanker sign to em (they’re above you of course). Soon enough they started chucking stuff. A coin and apple core hit my grandad on the head and cut him. We still laugh to this day.

And I still maintain it’s the most intimidating ground I’ve been to (and I’ve been to Millwall and Stoke, the latter getting locked in after Jack Lester scored a 90th minute equaliser from the spot and the coach being bricked).

So Forest was my first.

Leicester in March 21st 1970. Lost 2-1. Glover and Fern scored for them, Reece for us. The second of four successive defeats that cost us promotion

Wish I could remember! I have a vague feeling it was Leeds late 60's early 70's. Not a happy experience as I recall.

Mine was Stockport (1998 I think, so I’d be 14). My Dad worked shifts and loads of weekends, so I never really got to go away until I was a bit older and could go with mates. But a family friend played for a youth team and they were playing a Stockport youth side on the pitch in the build up to kick off. Long story short, there was a spare space so I was asked if I wanted to go.

Coach got there really early and we went in via some “executive” area. Vividly remember saying hello to John Deehan who was our assistant at the time.

We were then allowed onto the stand. There was nobody in apart from stewards/groundsmen etc (it was probably about 1pm). However: there were several Blades players, all suited and booted out looking at the pitch, presumably having just arrived themselves.

I had got a programme and was desperate to get an autograph or two on it. By the time I’d got a pen from somewhere, there were only 2 players left out, both walking towards the tunnel. I could only bag one, so plumped for the “star” of the two, Petr Katchouro.

I regretted this decision years later, when I realised that had I got it signed by the other guy, I would own a Stockport County match day programme signed by a European Championship winning captain.

Oops.
Edgeley Park had an “executive” area?

Doncaster away in the cup in 88 was my 1st away game.

1st away game without my dad was Wolves in 1989, last away game of the season when we both went up from the old 3rd division

Man. United away on April 23rd, 1962.

Not counting the pigs, Man U for me too about 1965. They put 3 past us and Best got a couple. This was Best in his prime, a skinny kid (a bit like Brooks for those who worry about his physique). The other two of the holy trinity, Law and Charlton, were also playing.

Away to Bradford in the 4th division, 81-82 season.

Went on the special football train, we won 2-0, the highlights were on tv, think Neville and Hatton scored.
Their Kop behind the goal was split in half with a fence down the middle, so home end was next to the away end behind the same goal.
Remember a massive plank of wood being tossed back and further from the home end into the away end and back again.

Probably start of 79/80 season, Notts County away sat on wooden benches, night match probably Anglo Scottish Cup. Certainly shortly after we went to Mansfield away in the old 3rd division.
We won 4-3,sat in the main stand (Dad was never one for standing if he could help it) with Utd massed away behind the goal to our right. Odd things stick out like Mick Speight trying to take a free kick for offside in the oppositions half. Whether this was the match when it pissed down & one of our windscreen wipers flew off in to a hedge somewhere in Mansfield on our way back I can't be 100% certain.

Blackpool...i think it was '69 but could have been 1970,went in the main stand with my Dad along with my Uncle and Cousin who lived there.

Not counting the pigs, Man U for me too about 1965. They put 3 past us and Best got a couple. This was Best in his prime, a skinny kid (a bit like Brooks for those who worry about his physique). The other two of the holy trinity, Law and Charlton, were also playing.

Without checking, I'm thinking Best was both smaller and lighter than Brooks so, like you, I have no worries about the latters physique . In fact, for the type of player he is I reckon he's almost the perfect build.

Reg Matthewson scored in our 3-2 home defeat against Wendy in January 1965.

Or were you thinking of the own goal for Wendy in the Sept 1966 match?

Thanks Silent it was the September 66 match knew he got on the score sheet somehow:D

Not many can say they had a better first away match than me.

FA CUP QUARTER FINAL 1960/61
Newcastle United 1 SHEFFIELD UNITED 3
Played in tangerine shirts white shorts and Billy Russell scored a first half hat trick as we led 3-0 at HT completely outplayed them we were challenging for promotion and they were second in old division one

Lincoln 63/64 season FA Cup 3rd round. Was 10 at the time and my elder brother took me.
Blades won 4-0 and Mick Jones got 2.

Man Utd away when best scored called at lane on way and got first blades shirt went with mum and dad and got past over turnstile

Forest...lost 6-1...had to stand in their terracing.....was not a happy bunny. I wanted to go early but my dad said no....and to this day we have never left a match before the full time whistle has blown...

Not many can say they had a better first away match than me.

FA CUP QUARTER FINAL 1960/61
Newcastle United 1 SHEFFIELD UNITED 3
Played in tangerine shirts white shorts and Billy Russell scored a first half hat trick as we led 3-0 at HT completely outplayed them we were challenging for promotion and they were second in old division one
We got promoted and they got relegated,conceding 100 goals in the process

Blackpool...i think it was '69 but could have been 1970,went in the main stand with my Dad along with my Uncle and Cousin who lived there.

We played Blackpool over the Easter weekends in both 1968/69 and 1969/70. I went to both matches. We drew one 1-1 and lost the other 1-0.

I think it was the 1970 game I had a burger from a van outside the ground. About 48 hours later it came back up in style. I've suffered some classic sickness from alcohol in later years but that was the worst.

Never been anywhere one of those vans since.

Back
Top Bottom