first away game watching the blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Boro blade

Middlesbrough Blade
Reaction score
GREAT MEMEORIES
first away game without the old man age 13 just down the road what a crazy day, think was more boro fans there as well than actual Darlo fans, great following from the blades stood in the tin shed. what a start to blades away days

Attachments

• blades.jpg
    blades.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 61
  • blades.png
    blades.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 65

Mine was Hillsborough does that count ? About 1967ish, Birchenall scored 2 but the pigs pegged us back to 2-2. Was in the South stand when it was wooden and the noise was truly terrifying for a young boy like me.

Mine was Hillsborough does that count ? About 1967ish, Birchenall scored 2 but the pigs pegged us back to 2-2. Was in the South stand when it was wooden and the noise was truly terrifying for a young boy like me.
Mine was only 9 mile down the road from boro, any away game counts 1967 that a good run following the blades mate plenty of up and downs

Mine was Stockport (1998 I think, so I’d be 14). My Dad worked shifts and loads of weekends, so I never really got to go away until I was a bit older and could go with mates. But a family friend played for a youth team and they were playing a Stockport youth side on the pitch in the build up to kick off. Long story short, there was a spare space so I was asked if I wanted to go.

Coach got there really early and we went in via some “executive” area. Vividly remember saying hello to John Deehan who was our assistant at the time.

We were then allowed onto the stand. There was nobody in apart from stewards/groundsmen etc (it was probably about 1pm). However: there were several Blades players, all suited and booted out looking at the pitch, presumably having just arrived themselves.

I had got a programme and was desperate to get an autograph or two on it. By the time I’d got a pen from somewhere, there were only 2 players left out, both walking towards the tunnel. I could only bag one, so plumped for the “star” of the two, Petr Katchouro.

I regretted this decision years later, when I realised that had I got it signed by the other guy, I would own a Stockport County match day programme signed by a European Championship winning captain.

Oops.

Barnsley away 1989, my old man worked away midweek so one of his mates took me.

I proudly wore my new Blades tracksuit, couldn't wait to get to see the Blades away, little did my dads mate, though a Blade was a Dodworth lad, so we went on the Dingles stand, BASTARD!!! Anyway we won 2-1 with a last minute pen scored by I think Bryson.

York , can't remember what year 81 maybe , Trusson scored Twice I think and. 4 -2 in after going one down when the wind caught a a shot and it flew over Keith Waugh . Brilliant day , sang " back in town again " loudly as train emptied back at midland station .

Rotherham United away 1979 on the Tivoli end won 2,-1, I think Jeff Bourne scored , paddled in piss at half time and was very close to where the terrace wall collapsed at full time. The only crowd crush i have been in that was similar was those fucking tunnels on the leppings lane, also 1979. Tivoli end is long gone but that death trap of a stand is still there.

Barnsley away 1989, my old man worked away midweek so one of his mates took me.

I proudly wore my new Blades tracksuit, couldn't wait to get to see the Blades away, little did my dads mate, though a Blade was a Dodworth lad, so we went on the Dingles stand, BASTARD!!! Anyway we won 2-1 with a last minute pen scored by I think Bryson.

That was the first I vividly remember - I'd been to a few in the years previous but I can't remember anything about them. We were sat level with the edge of the area in the Barnsley stand (the one that is still standing) and had a perfect view of Bryson taking that penalty in front of the Blades fans on the terrace. I couldn't watch it though. I remember just staring at the Blades behind the goal and waiting for the reaction. It was beautiful. A last minute winner, the Blades went beserk. It was only recently that I saw some grainy video footage of the penalty; I had no idea how it went in!

First away game - ZDS at Swilsbro 89/90. :( Bob Booker scored.
Second away game - Leicester. How did that one turn out again?! :D

12th March 1966 but the half time score was 1-1 and Birchenall scored both goals for us.

24th Sept 1966 was 2-2 draw too . We were winning 2-0 but our scorers were Woodward and Jones

York , can't remember what year 81 maybe , Trusson scored Twice I think and. 4 -2 in after going one down when the wind caught a a shot and it flew over Keith Waugh . Brilliant day , sang " back in town again " loudly as train emptied back at midland station .
4-3.

Hatton opened the scoring, York then made it 2-1, Kenworthy penalty 2-2 before York led again. In the final minutes two headers from Trusson made it 4-3. I was supposed not to bother watching the Blades again after relegation but I was in York staying over at my girlfriend's house that weekend and decided to go to the match!

Unfortunately my first few away trips weren’t a great advert for the Blades
Villa away in fa cup beaten 4-1 went with Da as I was only a chabby back then
First away trip on my own 6-1 loss away to the scabs
Then that day over Christmas ,
We only got them back for last September

Lincoln away when we won promotion in 61-62.This was an afternoon kick off .
We were losing 1-0 at half time and playing badly, gentlemen John must have given em a bollocking at half time as we ran riot in 2ND half and won 5-1; can't remember the scores .
Silent ?

Watford in ( 85? )FA Cup r3 lost 5-0 and if not for John Burridge could genuinely have been 10..

4-3.

Hatton opened the scoring, York then made it 2-1, Kenworthy penalty 2-2 before York led again. In the final minutes two headers from Trusson made it 4-3. I was supposed not to bother watching the Blades again after relegation but I was in York staying over at my girlfriend's house that weekend and decided to go to the match!

I was working and living in York at the time so this was like a home game. Thousands of Blades at Bootham Crescent.

My first away game must have been at Hillsborough but I really cannot recall it.

First away game from Sheffield was the FA Cup quarter final at Leeds March 1968. Went with two mates. One I know is still an active Blade as I saw him at Burton last season. There were nearly 50,000 there that day, I was 12 years old. I'm not sure if I told my parents I was going. Got a Law Brothers coach and again can't remember if it was pay at the turnstile or we had to queue get tickets at the Lane

After our victory at West Ham in the previous round I thought this was going to be our year and we'd end up having a season with some type of recognition.

Suppose we did. We got relegated.

Last edited:
12th March 1966 but the half time score was 1-1 and Birchenall scored both goals for us.

24th Sept 1966 was 2-2 draw too . We were winning 2-0 but our scorers were Woodward and Jones

The September game must have been my first away game. Always thought Reg Matthewson scored one of the goals. Mind you as a young lad experiencing picking himself up off the floor at the back of the Kop every time we scored and dodging the old pennies thrown by our fans who were at the top probably affected my memory.

Lincoln away when we won promotion in 61-62.This was an afternoon kick off .
We were losing 1-0 at half time and playing badly, gentlemen John must have given em a bollocking at half time as we ran riot in 2ND half and won 5-1; can't remember the scores .
Silent ?
1960-61 was the promotion season. We won 5-0, the half time score was 1-0. Scorers were Russell , Pace 2, Kettleborough 2.

Wednesday 22nd February 1961. You said the match was played in the afternoon, so there were no floodlights at Sincil Bank at the time?

The first one I have a clear recollection of was a fine 2-1 away win in the FA Cup against a strong Bolton side which included Nat Lofthouse, in front of over 47,000 in January 1956.

Peter Wragg got both goals and Colin Grainger and Joe Shaw (naturally) both gave outstanding performances.

Many years later on one of the most memorable occasions in my life, I was fortunate enough to be invited to lunch with Nat ( considered by many to be England's greatest ever centre forward ) and a friend of his.

It was at this lunch that he described Joe to me as " Easily the finest centre half I ever played against " .

Those words will stay with me until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil and , coming from a man who had played against the best centre halves the world had to offer at that time, should give an indication to those Blades who were not fortunate enough to see the great man, just how good he was.

The September game must have been my first away game. Always thought Reg Matthewson scored one of the goals. Mind you as a young lad experiencing picking himself up off the floor at the back of the Kop every time we scored and dodging the old pennies thrown by our fans who were at the top probably affected my memory.
Reg Matthewson scored in our 3-2 home defeat against Wendy in January 1965.

Or were you thinking of the own goal for Wendy in the Sept 1966 match?

First proper away game (other than Hillsborough) was Wolves away when ee best em 3-1. I think Tonge scored two that day. October (ish) 2002 i believe, I'll have been 14.

Cup 3rd round in 1988-9. 1-0 win at Huddersfield, the winner being that fantastic strike from Agana.

Back
Top Bottom