Favourite United team

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Favourite United Team

• Anything pre 60s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anything 60-70

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Anything 70-80

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Anything 80-Bassett

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • First Bassett Promotion

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Second Bassett Promotion

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Bassett top division team

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Kendall

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Spackman/Donachie

• Early Warnock

• Triple Assault season

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Warnock Promotion

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Warnock Premier team

• Robson tripe

• Blackwell play off team

• Wilson Play off team

• Clough Cup Run

• Wilder L1 champions

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Wilder Champ season 1

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Wilder Champ season 2

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Any other

• Total voters

Carlton Blade

Reaction score
Shoutbox inspired thread - what was your favourite team. Not the best - the one you have the fondest memories of

I can site three runs (or journeys)

The Bassett time.. began with the six one defeat of Chester in 1988, reached its peak with the Quarter final replay win over Blackburn in 1993. Then the slow slide and decline..

The Warnock time... began with the League cup win over Leeds in 2002, reached it’s peak with the Premier League win over Arsenal in December 2006.. then the rapid slide and decline...

The Wilder time.. began with the 4-1 win at Chesterfield in 2016, ... did it reach its peak with the 4-1 defeat of Villa in September 2018..??

To be continued....

I can site three runs (or journeys)

The Bassett time.. began with the six one defeat of Chester in 1988, reached its peak with the Quarter final replay win over Blackburn in 1993. Then the slow slide and decline..

The Warnock time... began with the League cup win over Leeds in 2002, reached it’s peak with the Premier League win over Arsenal in December 2006.. then the rapid slide and decline...

The Wilder time.. began with the 4-1 win at Chesterfield in 2016, ... did it reach its peak with the 4-1 defeat of Villa in September 2018..??

To be continued....

It’s when we know these eras will come to an end though..

The Bassett ending shocked me as I thought Mike Macdonold would at last give him the funds, but suddenly he was gone and Howard the drunk was in charge from nowhere.

The Warnock end was clear as soon as we were relegated, I think he would have been sacked even if we’d stayed up as the board had clearly had enough of the controversy.

Will the Wlider end come in a slow death or a sudden resignation to take up a new post? I will be pleasantly surprised if he’s still Manager here come Xmas 2019.

Christmas ‘19? If things continue to play out as they are doing, CW will have left by the end of May! :)

Went for last season as we stormed the league as a newly promoted team - injury to Coutts made a massive difference and could have been a special season. Brooks was a joy to watch and it was great to compete at the top of the division with a newly promoted side - was a close call between this and the triple assault season - but I’m not old enough to remember all of the Bassett era and before

Hodgkinson
Coldwell Shaw (G)
Richardson Shaw (J) Summers
Lewis. Russell. Pace. Hodgson. Simpson

Unless anyone can remember pre-WW1 football, end of thread.

Personally for me it was Gentleman John Harris and the Currie, Woodward, Dearden, Carlin and Hodgy era.

Have to say we're playing some great stuff right now, just need the end product to match the style.

Wilder's champions for me, Jake Wright the invincible, Coutts coming good, Sharp bagging 30.

Shout out to Clough's cup runs though, magic in a dark, dark period. Personally loved our 4-1-4-1 with Jose upfront and Doyle finally looking half decent in a deeper role, next to KMac in a midfield 2 he was dire.

Any place for Ireland's best, Alfie Ringstead??
A fair question. That XI is a special team for me because they played together for several seasons almost unchanged. Right-wing was the main exception, with Ringstead at the end of his career followed by Lewis who was sold to Liverpool and eventually replaced by Allchurch. I guess that Lewis was the one who played most matches with that group. The other 2 were fine wingers, my main memory of Ringstead being his headed first-half hat-trick at the Bramall Lane end, v Scunthorpe in 1958.

One option is Anything 70-80, as a decade, that really was the best of times, the worst of times.

From 1971-1975 was the best United years for me, culminating in being within touching distance of European football.

By the end of the decade, the 4th division was within our grasp and although we had to wait until 1981 for that particular prize, we got there in the end.

Accordingly, it’s difficult to select an entire decade, quite a lot can happen in 10 years :)

Hodgkinson
Coldwell Shaw (G)
Richardson Shaw (J) Summers
Lewis. Russell. Pace. Hodgson. Simpson

Unless anyone can remember pre-WW1 football, end of thread.

The best of 61 & 71

Hodgy
Badger-Colquohoun-J Shaw - G Shaw
Woodward-Currie-Richardson-Reece
Pace-Dearden

Blades fans from that era would Richardson have been classed as a defensive midfield player in 4-4-2 or would that have been Summers?

For me it's a toss up between the late 50's team which included Joe Shaw , Jimmy Hagan , Doc Pace , Hodgy , Jim Iley and Alf Ringstead and the early 70's team which has been well documented on here .

On balance , I'd have to go for the latter but on their day , the former were capable of some sublime football and were an absolute joy to watch .

The best of 61 & 71

Hodgy
Badger-Colquohoun-J Shaw - G Shaw
Woodward-Currie-Richardson-Reece
Pace-Dearden

Blades fans from that era would Richardson have been classed as a defensive midfield player in 4-4-2 or would that have been Summers?
Richardson was a defensive mid-fielder, Summers focussed more on bringing the ball out and passing it on to the left-winger. In your line-up, which is impressive, Richardson could have been protecting the back 4, a role which hadn't been invented at the time. He was the kind of player you didn't notice much, but he did a lot of covering for Coldwell and Joe Shaw (the only central defender), and occasionally 'took one for the team'.

Back
Top Bottom