Favourite Niche/Cult Blades Moments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I always remember that game as Andy Reid having loads of attempts on goal and single handedly carving us open throughout the game, and we somehow walked away 3-0 winners.

Funny how things sometimes are perceived and remembered.

I also remember the talk in the terrace was that Jags had been sold to Charlton or West Ham, I can't remember which.

You're probably right, I saw sat very low down compared to my usual perch in the Kop so it's possible I didn't take in the game properly. I seemed to be pretty confident we'd win once Lester scored from the spot, anyway.

Wimbledon away, last game of the season (91/92 I think). My first proper 'away' game.
From memory there were twice as many Blades as Wimbledon fans (not surprising really) and we were 3-0 down by 1/2 time thanks to John Fashanu. We also had Mervyn Day in net on emergency loan from Leeds.

Utd had stayed up so it was party time. Big ol' pitch invasion at full time was only challenged by a weedy bloke on the tannoy repeating "Please stay off the pitch" over and over. When a load of Blades started climbing on the cross bar, and it subsequently snapped in half, said stadium announcer says "Well that was clever wasn't it?"

That is exactly how I remember that. It was a lad I knew that finished the crossbar. Good times.

He was on the Metro afterwards, absolutely gutted, not least because his Bury mates were now ripping the shit out of him. He said he'd never wear it again, something I seem to remember he confirmed on Twitter. "He's go a lampshade, on his head..."

Glad someone else remembers it!

I hope the lad wasn't too upset... just a bit upset.

In the infamous Kanu and Overmars season of 1998/99 we played Notts County in one of the earlier rounds and we were losing 3-1 with 5 minutes to go, I remember loads of Blades fans walking out at this point but we got one back and hundreds of fans came running back in, lots into the home end, we then got an equaliser from the “2 shirts celebration man” and all hell broke loose, the scenes were unbelievable. The scenes were even more chaotic when we got the winner in extra time and we were only playing a division 2 side. I liked it anyway. :)

Also seeing Gordon Cowans pull on the red and white stripes, what a midfielder!

Tri Dellas, a big unknown lump of a centre half, twisting opponents’ blood with the silkiest drag backs and dropped shoulders.

And then, obviously, United not knowing how to exploit the talent, allowing him to end up at Roma and win the Euros for Greece.

That’s so United it hurts.

Tri Dellas smashing the winner in off the underside of the crossbar v Portsmouth and Alan Ball whinging in his high pitch monkey voice he will never score another like it and it will be the highlight of his career blah blah. That little ginger haired twat never did like us for some reason, mind you the feeling were mutual.

Blade on the floodlights at the old Leeds Rd ground.
87/88 I think.

Coach driver taking our official SUFC Supporters bus to White Hart Lane instead of Upton Park for the 0-5 hammering.
Might have been better staying put in North London.
cooperman :D
edit: grafik beat me to it
someone did it at Mansfield as well

singing you’ll never walk alone (acapella version) from around the 30th to the 80th minute at Grimsby(sabella’s last game) right through half time
a copper with a tear in his eye said to us ‘i’ve been doing this 30 years and i’ve never seen anything like that’

Hartlepool (I think) fan climbing up the Floodlight in the away / John St corner during a cup match. I think they were on one of there "brinks of collapse"

Marco Gabbadini scoring every single time he played against us (or so it seemed)

Kozluk "screamer" at Grimsby (via about 4 deflections.

In the infamous Kanu and Overmars season of 1998/99 we played Notts County in one of the earlier rounds and we were losing 3-1 with 5 minutes to go, I remember loads of Blades fans walking out at this point but we got one back and hundreds of fans came running back in, lots into the home end, we then got an equaliser from the “2 shirts celebration man” and all hell broke loose, the scenes were unbelievable. The scenes were even more chaotic when we got the winner in extra time and we were only playing a division 2 side. I liked it anyway. :)

Also seeing Gordon Cowans pull on the red and white stripes, what a midfielder!

A 15 year old Jermaine Pennant played for Notts County in that game.

The RSI inducing, 50 scrolls down thread on BU during the summer of 2002 discussing whether we should or shouldn't sign Chris Greenacre.

Sun Jihai getting sent off at home to Coventry, throwing a huge strop and the physio dragging him off the field

Shilton was good enough I think most of us was thinking it was a 0-0. Kop went wild.
I thought he was past it by then. Still decent but not the keeper he was. Didn’t we applaud him when he was at the kop end, because of the World Cup?

I thought he was past it by then. Still decent but not the keeper he was. Didn’t we applaud him when he was at the kop end, because of the World Cup?

I don't remember but I would think so.

My odd niche memory was a cold foggy night night (90-91) with so few of us at BDTBL in the Zenith Data Systems cup v Oldham. 2 nil down after about 15 minutes about 50 people walked out and we went on to win 7-2. My house mate who usually came to matches went to see Deacon Blue (I think) who were crap was not happy to have missed out.

April 1st 1975 - For some strange reason there was to be a fireworks display on the old cricket pitch after the Leeds home match. Probably something to do with breaking ground on the construction of the South Stand. (Why when we still had another home game v Liecester after this one has alays baffled me). Anyway with the 90 mins on the clock the ref blows to give United a free kick some distance from the Leeds goal. The guy with the box of swan vestas must have took this to be the final whistle,
Woddy lined up his shot, Bremner, Jack Charlton and others were in the wall, when WOOSH! BANG, FLASH the fireworks went off. Woody flashed the ball into the net as the entire Leeds defence turned in amazement at the beautiful firework display!
We got a 1-1 draw, and the ref ignored the Leeds protests.

Now thats a suitable way to celebrate a goal!

April 1st 1975 - For some strange reason there was to be a fireworks display on the old cricket pitch after the Leeds home match. Probably something to do with breaking ground on the construction of the South Stand. (Why when we still had another home game v Liecester after this one has alays baffled me). Anyway with the 90 mins on the clock the ref blows to give United a free kick some distance from the Leeds goal. The guy with the box of swan vestas must have took this to be the final whistle,
Woddy lined up his shot, Bremner, Jack Charlton and others were in the wall, when WOOSH! BANG, FLASH the fireworks went off. Woody flashed the ball into the net as the entire Leeds defence turned in amazement at the beautiful firework display!
We got a 1-1 draw, and the ref ignored the Leeds protests.

Now thats a suitable way to celebrate a goal!
It was Cammack who scored and Jack Charlton was managing Boro at the time

Woody volleying TC’s corner into the net from the edge of the box - haven’t a clue who we were playing.

Didn’t think the person up the floodlights was Cooperman - Brian somebody - didn’t he piss on cops below or throw snowballs at them or something?

Woody volleying TC’s corner into the net from the edge of the box - haven’t a clue who we were playing.

Which one?

GOAL - v Arsenal (h) 4.9.73. In the ninth minute Currie insolently beat Storey but was brought down on the edge of the penalty area. Looking up, United's superstar slipped his free kick back for Woodward to whip his right foot shot along the ground, through the packed defence and into the corner of the net.

GOAL - v West Ham (a) 10.11.73. Woodward's second was a terrific volley from some twenty yards that might have gone anywhere. It was hardly seen until it flashed into the net. He met a Currie corner a foot above ground and crashed it home.

GOAL - v Southampton (h) 22.12.73. Badger pestered Mills into conceding a corner and from the kick came one of the most remarkable goals seen at the Lane this season. Currie took it pulled it right back to Woodward, five yards outside the penalty area, and the winger hit another scorching shot which appeared to brush someone on the way in, but it was clearly Woodward's goal and the completion of a splendid hat-trick.

Will never forget Bashams pirouette on the ball over the John Street touchline against Southampton in the cup. Great night that was.

Stuart McCall desire at 2.15

Wanted it so much more than some no-mark Wednesday player. Fuckin legend

Yep, Brown's goal was rightly lauded, but in some ways the first goal is more remarkable, or at least unlikely. First, McCall, about 36 years old, sprints past two Wednesday players to perform a textbook tackle-cum-throughball, then Kabba somehow scores with a mid-air sideways tackle/flick thing.

I honestly think Pressman would have saved anything more conventional. It was the sheer improbability of that goal that finely broke the curse he had on our playyers.

Back
Top Bottom