Favourite Niche/Cult Blades Moments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade on the floodlights at the old Leeds Rd ground.
87/88 I think.

Coach driver taking our official SUFC Supporters bus to White Hart Lane instead of Upton Park for the 0-5 hammering.
Might have been better staying put in North London.

Tony Currie & Darren Currie. #Relatives

Alex Sabella and his lad, Mar... now playing in Spain.

John Ebbrell.

Finest debut ever seen at BDTBL.

So said Mr D. Blunkett MP.

Were you there?

Four first half goals in about five minutes v Torquay United back in the old Fourth Division.

May 1989 Wolves 2 Blades 2 at 92 minutes - we need a point to confirm promotion.

Ref blows whistle , Martin Pike clambers on fence in front of me and another 4,000 odd Blades to celebrate. Stancliffe and all away end screaming at him that he'd only given Wolves an attacking free kick.

Gawd , if Twitter had existed in those days it would have exploded with that clip !

Jan-Aage Fjortoft aeroplane.

One thing I loved about going to BDTBL in this era was blokes on the kop doing a goal celebration that Saturday, then I would go onto see kids doing the same one in the playground following Monday.

Last edited:
Jan-Aage Fjortoft aeroplane.

One thing I loved about going to BDTBL in this era was blokes on the kop doing a goal celebration that Saturday, then I would go onto see kids doing the same one in the playground following Monday.

Tag kicks in at 7.30pm? :D

I don’t recall that TC did it another time when playing for us mate. He did it the season after the England World Cup winner Alan Ball did the same to us when they hammered us by the the same score. Ball was a bit less flamboyant, TC really milked it and seemed to be sat there for ages right next to Ball, it but it was a definitely a case of sweet Kama. There’s no way that Ball, the Arsenal team or in fairness many Blades would have envisaged us scoring five against the them. They were Champions of England but every Blades player was bang on his game that night and TC was practically unplayable.

I was stood with my Dad on the John street terrace near the half way line and we got a great view of it. Pity there were no phones around back then, it’d have been posted online a hundred times 40 years later.

I spoke with Alan Ball about that when my lad was mascot for United at Fratton Park about 20 years ago. He was seriously amused and animated by TCs audacity and finished it by saying what a superb player Currie was.

pommpey

Spending the entire second half at Bury winding up that lad about his stupid bucket hat. United went 2-0 up, barely anyone noticed.

Even better, someone found that chap on twitter that night. Turns out his hat was brand new!

April 1st, 2001.

laurent-djaffo-sheffield-united-picture-id650879334

I vaguely remember this but did Fjortoft once either slide tackle or crouch behind a half time Freddie mercury entertainer causing him to collapse??

Was that a dream??

Was watching a bit on Jimmy Glass, the goalie at Carlisle who went up for a corner in ET and scuffled a winning goal which prevented them from going into the (then) Conference league.

So test your memory - What are our cult moments that stand out?

Few of mine would be;

- Pesch "OMG OMG" in the PO semi final 02/03.

- Des Walker own goal was a truly, beautiful moment in the same game.

- Morgs powerslamming Tevez at home 2006/2007 without even raising his arms.

- Brooksy megging Jack Hunt at the Sty.

- Marcello "2 shirts" goal celebration against Coventry FA Cup 1998.

- Deano lobbing Grobalaar at home 1992.
Sat in the beer Keller car park at bdtbl chatting to Trevor hockey with a cast on his leg, gutted

May 1989 Wolves 2 Blades 2 at 92 minutes - we need a point to confirm promotion.

Ref blows whistle , Martin Pike clambers on fence in front of me and another 4,000 odd Blades to celebrate. Stancliffe and all away end screaming at him that he'd only given Wolves an attacking free kick.

Pike actually took his boots off and threw them into the crowd when he thought the ref. had ended the game! Played the last few minutes in his socks!

just carl bradshaw.

Carl has the highest number of PL appearances for the Blades - 72.

I vaguely remember this but did Fjortoft once either slide tackle or crouch behind a half time Freddie mercury entertainer causing him to collapse??

Was that a dream??

I don't remember that, although it does sound like something he'd do.

My Fjortoft pick would be a goal against Portsmouth. He got a brace that day, both at the Bramall Lane end. Most people remember the second, which was lovely chip from outside the area but I prefer the first. Fjortoft went into the box down the left hand channel alongside a defender, then dived outrageously to try and win a penalty. He didn't get one, so he got back up and scored while the defender's concentration was broken! Brilliant.

Morgam scoring a bicycle kick goal against Forest at the City Ground in the FA Cup.

I remember cheering like mad then the crowd around me quieting down and voices going "Morgan????.......Morgan!?!"

That was glorious. Played them off the park that day.

He'd been sent off there on, I think, the previous visit for twatting Gareth Taylor, which made it even sweeter.

Favourite Niche moments? When the dance-floor is full of shell-suited tattoo'd scruffs, attempting a very personal interpretation of that balance between being off your nut and thinking you're the Pep Guardiola of the dance floor, that's something special and unique to Sheffield's nightlife.

Spending the entire second half at Bury winding up that lad about his stupid bucket hat. United went 2-0 up, barely anyone noticed.

Even better, someone found that chap on twitter that night. Turns out his hat was brand new!

He was on the Metro afterwards, absolutely gutted, not least because his Bury mates were now ripping the shit out of him. He said he'd never wear it again, something I seem to remember he confirmed on Twitter. "He's go a lampshade, on his head..."

That was glorious. Played them off the park that day.

He'd been sent off there on, I think, the previous visit for twatting Gareth Taylor, which made it even sweeter.

I always remember that game as Andy Reid having loads of attempts on goal and single handedly carving us open throughout the game, and we somehow walked away 3-0 winners.

Funny how things sometimes are perceived and remembered.

I also remember the talk in the terrace was that Jags had been sold to Charlton or West Ham, I can't remember which.

Back
Top Bottom