Favourite Niche/Cult Blades Moments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cresswell coming from off the pitch in front of the Kop, to steal it from the keeper and roll it in.

Lunny's tackle on Grealish.

Morgs tackle on Tevez.

Santos tackle on Johnson (he got the ball).

Woody's 4 against Ipswich.

Jags in goal v Arsenal.

Edwards 200th goal at Blackburn when we were losing 6-0.

The Benteke is wank chant at Villa in the cup. Started out as our fans taking the piss out of Porter, ended up being factually accurate.

The if Porter scores we're on the pitch chant in round five, again inspired Porter-bashing as he stuck in two in the last minute.

Roger Nilsen scoring.

Des Walker's own goal being announced as if he was one of our players.

Random one...Simon Tracey penalty save in shootout win at Rushden & Diamonds. Set up a 4th rd tie at Newcastle

sheffield-uniteds-goalkeeper-simon-tracey-celebrates-taking-his-team-picture-id650835460
What a marvellous photo, never seen it before but God(Sir James of the Hagan) how it sums up this club.

Joe Shaw, running towards his own goal, ball in front of him, no.9 bearing down. Step over with right foot sending no.9 off left, Joe steers ball to his right with left foot, turns to right leaving himself in space and with time to pick a team mate out. Next time could be a left turn or maybe not, that was the no.9's quandary. One of his other pieces of genius was, when a high ball to the no.9 came, he would push up close behind the no.9 putting him inside the arc of the ball, step back half a pace heading the ball to one side or the other for a team mate Class and double class
Jimmy Hagan killing the ball dead and it finishing where he needed it to continue any move, which he probably worked out two moves previous. My favourite with "Sir James" was he'd let a high ball coming towards him drop over his head, then, backheel it to where it came from putting United back on the attack in a flash and wrong foot the opposition.

Leigh Brombys free kick vs Birmingham

Jostein Flo is an international chant and his wrist band!

Petr Katchuro

Bassett kissing agana photo

Pembo throw in

Practicing Peter beastie turns in the playground at school

Bradshaw bandana at Chelsea

That kit we wore at Pompey first game that looked like it’d be written on with marker pen

Darnall blades in the box singing at Palace

Dane Whitehouse scoring a pen at pigs when we were losing 3-0 and standing in front of their Kop with his arms raised

Last edited:
last minute volley from Jagielka vs leeds. Leeds fans start kickin off and break the away end chairs and throw the debris on the pitch

Trying to keep them fairly obscure in the spirit of "niche"...

A fan running on at half-time away at Macclesfield in the League Cup in 2003 and smashing a penalty past Peschisolido (?!) in goal. The stewards let him take the penalty and get at least part of the way through a semi-acrobatic celebration before bundling him off. The crowd had given it the big "ohhhhhh" in build-up.

Bryan Gunn getting sent off at half-time for Norwich in 1995 for arguing with the ref. It was announced over the tannoy. Norwich didn't have a sub keeper on the bench so ended up with an outfielder in goal. Robert Fleck, an unused substitute, was also sent off in the second half. (Can anyone confirm if this actually happened? It was my first ever game and the more I try and remember it, the less believable it sounds! - Silent Blade?) We won 2-1.

Traianos Dellas thunderbolt v Portsmouth.

Gannon right foot volley at Forest

Holdsworth one man virtuoso performance away at Huddersfield

Franz Carr v Spurs

Marcelo winner at Port Vale after we threw a 2 goal lead away

Katchouro winner at Wolves

Dellas 40 yarder

Zi girl wiv zi big boobies running out from zi kop at home to norwich to smother Harrys face in em on bench, while deano's trying to run down the wing with the ball, trying not to piss him sen laughing.
Think it was last game of season on old kop and roof had been taken off.
Thought it was Stoke?

Roger Nilsen hitting the post against Huddersfield from about 40 yards

Joe Shaw, running towards his own goal, ball in front of him, no.9 bearing down. Step over with right foot sending no.9 off left, Joe steers ball to his right with left foot, turns to right leaving himself in space and with time to pick a team mate out. Next time could be a left turn or maybe not, that was the no.9's quandary. One of his other pieces of genius was, when a high ball to the no.9 came, he would push up close behind the no.9 putting him inside the arc of the ball, step back half a pace heading the ball to one side or the other for a team mate Class and double class
Jimmy Hagan killing the ball dead and it finishing where he needed it to continue any move, which he probably worked out two moves previous. My favourite with "Sir James" was he'd let a high ball coming towards him drop over his head, then, backheel it to where it came from putting United back on the attack in a flash and wrong foot the opposition.
Your description of some of the skills and techniques used by those two great players exactly fit my own recollections of them .

Good stuff XM .

Bryan Gunn getting sent off at half-time for Norwich in 1995 for arguing with the ref. It was announced over the tannoy. Norwich didn't have a sub keeper on the bench so ended up with an outfielder in goal. Robert Fleck, an unused substitute, was also sent off in the second half. (Can anyone confirm if this actually happened? It was my first ever game and the more I try and remember it, the less believable it sounds! - Silent Blade?) We won 2-1.

Gunn protested to the ref about Nathan Blake's equalizer shortly before half time. As soon as the half time whistle had blown Gunn decided to have another moan at the ref. At the beginning of the 2nd half most of us were surprised to see Rob Newman in goal for Norwich and then it was announced that Gunn had been sent off. The crowd cheered. Fleck had been playing in the 1st half but he was sat on the bench wearing a suit after the half time break but it was short lived because the ref sent him off to the stands after a linesman complained about him (probably Fleck swore at him or complained too much)

Wimbledon away, last game of the season (91/92 I think). My first proper 'away' game.
From memory there were twice as many Blades as Wimbledon fans (not surprising really) and we were 3-0 down by 1/2 time thanks to John Fashanu. We also had Mervyn Day in net on emergency loan from Leeds.

Utd had stayed up so it was party time. Big ol' pitch invasion at full time was only challenged by a weedy bloke on the tannoy repeating "Please stay off the pitch" over and over. When a load of Blades started climbing on the cross bar, and it subsequently snapped in half, said stadium announcer says "Well that was clever wasn't it?"

Gunn protested to the ref about Nathan Blake's equalizer shortly before half time. As soon as the half time whistle had blown Gunn decided to have another moan at the ref. At the beginning of the 2nd half most of us were surprised to see Rob Newman in goal for Norwich and then it was announced that Gunn had been sent off. The crowd cheered. Fleck had been playing in the 1st half but he was sat on the bench wearing a suit after the half time break but it was short lived because the ref sent him off to the stands after a linesman complained about him (probably Fleck swore at him or complained too much)

Fantastic. Thanks so much for confirming that! Quite an eventful first game for me there :)

79/80. Millmoor - Rotherham United. Won 2-1 courtesy of Bourne & Butlin. Over 20,000 in the ground, must have been 7/8 of us supporting The Blades.

Mansfield Town away, won 4-3, crazy match. Lots of bother, Miner's an' all that, driving back, heard stories that MTFC supporters were throwing concrete blocks from bridges at United coaches.

78/79. BDTBL. Liverpool, European Champions, LC1 ... referee booked their wall, each and every man. We got battered but won 1-0. Stunning victory. Next round we drew LUFC with TC playing, couldn't see a thing for the fog, but heard boos when TC had ther ball.
79/80. Millmoor - Rotherham United. Won 2-1 courtesy of Bourne & Butlin. Over 20,000 in the ground, must have been 7/8 of us supporting The Blades.
5000 of us crushed in the gennel outside :D

gary sinclair vs Soton in the cup (Koemann tantrum game) 'you might be premier league .. but we are Sheffield United'

Or.......being grateful to watch Paul McGrath.

Although he didn't stay here for too long, it was the fact that someone that good wore the red and white stripes and I was fortunate enough to see him play.
indeed. he was so good it used to make all the kop laugh.. like a bloke playing with kids

Carl Veart scored the winner

Ashley Ward scored for Norwich I believe? Robert Fleck of course being John's uncle, and Bryan Gunn being father to our buddy Angus - Blades connections everywhere.

(Separate thread there - fathers & sons who've both played against the Blades. Bonus points for Angus and Bryan playing the same position for the same team, 20+ years apart)

Ashley Ward scored for Norwich I believe? Robert Fleck of course being John's uncle, and Bryan Gunn being father to our buddy Angus - Blades connections everywhere.

(Separate thread there - fathers & sons who've both played against the Blades. Bonus points for Angus and Bryan playing the same position for the same team, 20+ years apart)
John -speedy- McGeady and son Aiden McGeady.
John played for us, think Aiden is at Sunderland. Red and white stripes being the only link there.

Ian Wright and Bradley Wright-Phillips.

I know Shaun is adopted but I'm not sure about Bradley.

Steve and Alex Bruce

Brian and Nigel Clough

Jason Dozzell and his son who played for Ipswich the other week

Peter and Kasper Schmeichel

Paul and Tom Ince

Dean and Josh Windass

Alvin Martin and his son (is he at Reading)?? Not sure on this one

Back
Top Bottom