Favourite Niche/Cult Blades Moments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Before my time. Did TC once get booked for sitting on the ball during a match ?
I don’t recall that TC did it another time when playing for us mate. He did it the season after the England World Cup winner Alan Ball did the same to us when they hammered us by the the same score. Ball was a bit less flamboyant, TC really milked it and seemed to be sat there for ages right next to Ball, it but it was a definitely a case of sweet Kama. There’s no way that Ball, the Arsenal team or in fairness many Blades would have envisaged us scoring five against the them. They were Champions of England but every Blades player was bang on his game that night and TC was practically unplayable.

I was stood with my Dad on the John street terrace near the half way line and we got a great view of it. Pity there were no phones around back then, it’d have been posted online a hundred times 40 years later.

• Trianos Dellas walk of fame against Norwich at the Lane
  • Glyn Hodges' lob over Schmeichel
  • Paul Beesley (!) copying Hodges in a pre season friendly in Norway
  • Wayne Allison got the ball near the touch line once and started some rather slow and very basic ball juggling between his feet until a defender realised it was ridiculous and smashed it out for a throw in, prompting a big smile from Chief
  • Full team doing their warm down in front of the travelling Blades at Elland Rd in 2005, having won 4-0. Think almost everybody in sight, including stewards and police men, got the 'give us a wave' chant, before it EVENTUALLY became Kozluk's turn, prompting him to immediately strip off his shirt and pointing at his flexing bicep
  • Blades fans chanting 'give us a wave' to Robert Windass at Watford in 2003, making him turn towards us and waving with a stupid grin, ignoring that a free kick was actually swung in towards him

Random one...Simon Tracey penalty save in shootout win at Rushden & Diamonds. Set up a 4th rd tie at Newcastle

sheffield-uniteds-goalkeeper-simon-tracey-celebrates-taking-his-team-picture-id650835460

I'm sure Bob Booker was on an hat trick and the crowd were screaming for him to take the pen but Gannon took it off him and skied it. Maybe against forest?

Southampton at home. And the fog had come in. And when I say the fog had come in, it was like the horror movie.

Booker was on a hat trick, and Gannon stepped up and hit the scoreboard.

United fans unfurling a banner at Wembley in the semi final that read ‘If Chris Woods can play for England, so can I’. And they were 100% right and he must have known it.

Seeing out the last 15 mins of the Forest game at home in our 1st season back. It seemed like days.

Paul Beesley attempting the same trick twice against Marco gabbiadini, with the same result against Sunderland at home. 0-2.

''Balloongate''

Further back.

78/79 away at Newcastle United, won 3-1. Remember walking to St James' Park and nor ever forgetting the trail of paint handprints up the side of a 50ft hospital wall.

Same season. Away at Cambridge United, we lost. Originally we drove to Cambridge City's ground. Maybe it was an omen!

More to follow!

79/80. Millmoor - Rotherham United. Won 2-1 courtesy of Bourne & Butlin. Over 20,000 in the ground, must have been 7/8 of us supporting The Blades.

Mansfield Town away, won 4-3, crazy match. Lots of bother, Miner's an' all that, driving back, heard stories that MTFC supporters were throwing concrete blocks from bridges at United coaches.

78/79. BDTBL. Liverpool, European Champions, LC1 ... referee booked their wall, each and every man. We got battered but won 1-0. Stunning victory. Next round we drew LUFC with TC playing, couldn't see a thing for the fog, but heard boos when TC had ther ball.

Keith Edwards Goal at Bolton Wanderers in 83/84

3-0 down and he sticks his head on a ball in the box and nearly gets it kicked off. pointless consolation goal, except 3 weeks later we go up, not on goal difference but goals scored from Hull

Back
Top Bottom