Favourite bramall lane?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

KingKeith

Reaction score
Bramall lane is looking fantastic now, it's got everything, and I'd say one of the best in the country!
But do you prefer modern or nostalgia? I think I preferred around 89! The kop loved it, I pity the young uns who will never experience a surge! Great roof on it too! Looking across to the away end, the big white wall! John street looked great too, proper old stand! Had couple seasons standing there before knocked down!

Or does anyone older Miss the pavilion?

Bramall lane is looking fantastic now, it's got everything, and I'd say one of the best in the country!
But do you prefer modern or nostalgia? I think I preferred around 89! The kop loved it, I pity the young uns who will never experience a surge! Great roof on it too! Looking across to the away end, the big white wall! John street looked great too, proper old stand! Had couple seasons standing there before knocked down!

It's a bit like remembering coal fires and black-and-White TV; great memories, but if we were offered a 3-sided ground now, even with a nice pavilion, the idea would be laughed out of court. The ground has evolved for the better.

Always enjoyed standing on the terrace and occasional treat of having a seat.

Enjoyed it most when you could stand on the kop and the John Street terrace ( not at the same time) :)
The atmosphere was much better. You could move around until you weren't stuck with someone obstructing your view. Spectating from a sitting position is intended for cricket, tennis and similar girly pursuits. In the seventies you could either move away from, or towards the warring factions :)

Really? I still think it needs a fair bit of work.

I think it's the best stadium in the country right now. Not sure I'd ever have said that previously.

Although I have lots of memories of Bramall Lane from the mid 70s to present day, it is looking good now. If the Kop gets rebuilt higher and blended in at the corners it would be even better. There seems to be a lot of positive reviews of the stadium from visiting fans.

I think it's the best stadium in the country right now. Not sure I'd ever have said that previously.
What makes you say that when you have the likes of old trafford villa park man city arsenal wembley millinium stadium etc.

What makes you say that when you have the likes of old trafford villa park man city arsenal wembley millinium stadium etc.
Being English, personally like my football grounds square-ish, developed over inordinate periods of time, with multiple stands from different eras and random mis-matched tiers everywhere.
Therefore from that list only Old Trafford and Villa Park qualify. Goodison park, Anfield and, until recently, White Hart lane were also fine examples.
Give me any of these over the Etihad or Wembley any day.

It is, and always has been, the best ground in the entire world. Always has been, always will be. Maracana? Wembley? Camp Nou? All shitholes. None of them are Bramall Lane, and are therefore inferior.

Being English, personally like my football grounds square-ish, developed over inordinate periods of time, with multiple stands from different eras and random mis-matched tiers everywhere.
Therefore from that list only Old Trafford and Villa Park qualify. Goodison park, Anfield and, until recently, White Hart lane were also fine examples.
Give me any of these over the Etihad or Wembley any day.
The best stadium i have been in is millinium stadium,but i know what you mean though about good old english ground's

For nostalgia purposes...the one I first walked into on September 10th 1994 (yes yes I never saw the old kop/john st stand etc, I'm too young). NOTHING will ever beat experiencing the lane for the first time, even if it only had 3 sides.

It looks reight nice these days though :)

For nostalgia purposes...the one I first walked into on September 10th 1994 (yes yes I never saw the old kop/john st stand etc, I'm too young). NOTHING will ever beat experiencing the lane for the first time, even if it only had 3 sides.

It looks reight nice these days though :)

A couple of years before you, walking up unto the John Street Terrace for the first time, evening match, grass very green. Fell in love.

For all the nostalgia of those harking back to the old ground, I think it's never been better than it is now. When I was a kid, the gap from the South Stand to the pitch was vast. The gaping hole on Bramall Lane let gales rush through the ground. John Street was a tumbledown shadow of the originally beautiful Leitch design.

Today is where it's at. :)

Contrary as per I'll say fuck the seating and give me the old kop,John St Terrace. Smell of smoke,surges. Proper 70's songs. Going to stand where you wanted. Characters. Edgyness. Sanitised fucking shit today in comparison.
And the catering is way fucking worse!!! and the bogs are just as bad. Thank fuck!

April 1975.

South Stand almost ready to go - we were a proper stadium at last - unbeaten all of April and ended up
6th - we were going to fly in our new home - then 75/76 happened!

For the younger generations, the equivalent feeling would be us finishing in top 6 in Prem and a spanking new Kop about to open.

Now that would be Magic again.

Yes, BDTBL is looking great, but still needs improving, particularly the kop. I'm old enough to remember the pavilion. I think it was an utter travesty and so inexplicably shortsighted to demolish such a grand old building to make way for the car park. I would love to have seen it become part of the modern stadium.

Yes, BDTBL is looking great, but still needs improving, particularly the kop. I'm old enough to remember the pavilion. I think it was an utter travesty and so inexplicably shortsighted to demolish such a grand old building to make way for the car park. I would love to have seen it become part of the modern stadium.

On a recent thread about developing the Kop someone mentioned they liked to see a retro design, perhaps when we do eventually upgrade it they could incorporate something into the facade with a nod towards the old pavilion. I'm sure some design wiz could come up with something along those lines.

I'm too young really, John Street was built after I was born and I was technically about before the Kop was seated but I can't remember ever seeing the old ones, so from my first memories the majority of the ground is the same apart from the corners.

I can say that the current one is my favourite, although I miss wooden seats in the Laver Stand, I swear blind they were more comfortable although it may be rose tinted buttocks.

In the late Eighties I recall walking home from The Leadmill. A mate suggested we have a bit of early morning worship. In those days there was a way to get into the ground (now fenced off).

An empty Bramall Lane, lit by only moonlight whilst sitting in the dug out, recalling all the memories with a bellyful of Wards Sheffield Best, looking over at the Kop was a great place to be.

Second only to being 18 yards out and pretending to curl one into the top corner by moonlight. By the age of 19, I'd only just realised that I wasn't going to get the call to do it for real !!

It really is beautiful at downtown Bramall Lane..

Back
Top Bottom