Fan reaction - McGoldrick v Rammers v Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The most glaringly obvious difference in that clip is Tottenham.

They set back, never pressed and made it easy.
The other day they pressed from the first time they lost the ball and went 1-0 up almost immediately and carried on pressing.

The passing in that clip was just as slow and ponderous as this season, the difference was the players were given more space.
Sides don't show as much respect as they did last season.
So are you saying teams never tried to press us last season and have only tried that this season? Lol what a load of bollocks

So are you saying teams never tried to press us last season and have only tried that this season? Lol what a load of bollocks

I'm saying that even a Jose Mourinho side, removed the bus and went for the throat.

The player who couldnt score (despite his best efforts) last season when we were winning is now our top scorer when we are not winning.
He became a cult hero as we all love a trier.

Just look at what Norwood did when he lost the ball resulting in Kane's goal, he slowly jogs back no attempt to rectify his mistake.

In the same match look at what Didzy did when he lost the ball in their half. He ran his socks off getting back to try and rectify his mistake and nearly did.

With Ramsdale just look at any catalogue of errors, the mis kick, the flapping attempt etc etc etc.
Beg to differ about Norwood. He was'nt slowly jogging. That's the fastest he can run!

I'm saying that even a Jose Mourinho side, removed the bus and went for the throat.
Yeah cause no one thought to press us last season did they lol. 😜 The difference is last year we could go down either side and were confident when we did have the ball.

Yeah cause no one thought to press us last season did they lol. 😜 The difference is last year we could go down either side and were confident when we did have the ball.

So in your opinion, what is the reason why this side has looked PL quality for half a season but so average/poor for the rest of the time?

With Didsy, I feel it is because he at least has been consistent. When he was failing to score, he at least was evidently doing his level best to stop that stigma and we knew that with his persistence it would only be a matter of time until he hit form. He is also amongst a ruinously expensive strikeforce, one which a lot of fans got tumescent about and who have either been pub, breadsticks or GCSE. This season, they've got fuck all. He's carved out chances more or less single handedly, and none of his goals have been easy. His contribution this season has been massive, and we are bottom of the league with five points. Think where we'd be if he was long term injured.

Norwood came to us with a point to prove, namely that Brighton and Fulham were wrong. They were actually right on the whole package in fact. He's a decent Championship-level midfielder, providing your like balls stylishly cracked to the flanks and the play spread across the centre of the park to no real benefit. If it comes to the other 95% of what is required - especially at PL level, he's not got it and firstly he's yitten we've finally realised that, and oppositions midfields, when they sit in their tactical briefs of a Thursday before the Satdi match get one brief, and that is to simply take the ball off him. Was he 'better' last season? Not really. He was amongst a team functionally playing better together, with a more cohesive defence behind him and a decent keeper keeping the score down. Now the chickens have come home to roost and his critical limitations are exposed, it is evident he is no better than any number of woeful midfielders we have ranted at in the past. His predecessor, Coutts, was just starting to build that understanding with Fleck and Duffy and we looked purposeful. Not saying Coutts would have been any better, but on promotion, I think Wilder chose the ping over the gamble on Coutts and ignored the example set by Norwood's former clubs. We didn't score many goals last season to give us our flattering ninth position and Norwood, if he was any better than people go on about, would have an impressive assist rate and not just one Premier League spot kick as a goal for the thirty odd outings he had. The question people need to ask themselves is this: If he isn't attacking and scoring and he isn't defending and breaking up play, what the fuck is he doing? This season it is evident, and it's shit-on-toast. He needs benching and not playing again this season and putting on the transfer list, if not releasing on a free.

Ramsdale was a liability from the second minute against Wolves. As soon as he dived for that first goal, I had a baaaad feeling about him. He didn't impress me much last season but I think his incapability was masked effectively by some woeful defensive performances by Bournemouth and some vicarious sympathy they were doomed. This season he has gotten worse, and okay, some small percentage can be ranged at the broken back three effect, but individually his bravery, his capability and his judgement has been severely Sunday League. We've all played on muddy parks with a dodgy keeper behind us who makes one or other absolutely astonishing howlers which cost you that afternoon of graft. We've all seen that goalkeeper come for the cross with the call 'KEEPER!' and inside you're confident their hands will be on it and the opposition's attack is abruptly ended, only to see the daft cunt get a weak fist on it and it drop to the opposition winger at the back stick to poke home. We've seen ... as we did on Saturday ... the keeper comes for a loose ball on the deck in the box and instead of using his presence and physicality to collect the ball and make it safe, have the fucker rebound out of his grasp and roll free. And we've all seen attempts on goal that when it hits the back of the net and your head drops, in your mind you are replaying how shit the dive for it was and really, what the fuck was he playing at? The team can give out the message they are supporting Ramsdale all they want, but in their minds, as it is with ours, they must be thinking one thing:

"Deano would have had that."

The problem is that without Deano we wouldn't have been promoted and without Deano we wouldn't have had half the results we had last season. Even when we were losing, Deano makes a save against Salah at Anfield which was nothing short of fucking breathtaking. Deano is why Ramsdale is getting shit because his shadow is fucking long and fucking dark. It weighs on Ramsdale's mind and only he can fix that, and get back to being a well-paid, professional Premier League goalkeeper. I don't expect him to save every shot or be as good as Deano. But I do expect him to get over his incapability and stop making mistakes. As I said in 'My take ... ' for £18.5m, we have got a goalkeeper no better than Simonsen or Howard. They would have saved those shots he saved on Saturday and I would wager at least one of their goals.

Ramsdale has got a massive price tag to justify and the spectre of the notion that being relegated twice (consecutively) from the PL as the man between the sticks for two different teams, there's a justifiable denominator there which will not make him an attractive option for any transfer. And if he doesn't improve next season in the Championship, he'd end up with the stigma of being a woeful mistake for this club and having that stigma hanging over those dropped, narrow shoulders for the rest of his career.

And finally, while we are on him, he needs to stop looking like a mardy arsed bastard when things go wrong out there. An expressionless face in the face of adversity always is the better demeanour. Start looking like you're gonna start rooering make you, and the club, look like cunts. We're all upset, lad.

pommpey

Simply human behaviour
Last season was great so everyone happy and prepared to accept any deficiencies
This year fans are sad, angry and disappointed so need someone to blame. Why not blame the keeper who has conceded less goals from his errors than his predecessor
I agree henderson made more errors that lead directly to goals than ramsdale, and has done this season too, however ramsdales positioning, decision making, lack of communication and outright bad goalkeeping more than make up for unforced errors

Confidence in the goalkeeper is a basic requirement for any effective defence especially in the Premiership where strikers are good at spotting a "hesitant" keeper. They will crowd / jostle any in set piece situations. Ramsdale has lost confidence &, coming from a side that was relegated, I would have thought that would have been obvious to the manager & training staff. It could be that he is not a quick learner - remember Henderson's kicking when he first arrived? It took a short while to sort out. Surely the same staff (& management) has taken steps to rectify this in Ramsdale?
I'm still surprised that Verrips wasn't tried against Bristol Rovers but then I haven't seen the man in training. Nevertheless taking Ramsdale out of the firing line shouldn't be a question of "can't drop him as we've paid a lot of money for him". The cup tie vs Plymouth will speak volumes for Mr Wilders man management as I think he seems to be of the opinion that these players get paid fortunes & should "man up". I cannot guarantee that either reserve goalkeeper would improve the defensive performance but it will be no use in changing the goalkeeper against Man Utd with Egan not playing.
The (very) old adage that if you don't score goals you don't win matches works just as well for the opposition. Think the number of 1 - nil defeats & 1 -all draws this season. Only masochists can think that watching our team this season is worse than grinding out no score draws or even 1- nil wins with dull & boring football.

Confidence in the goalkeeper is a basic requirement for any effective defence especially in the Premiership where strikers are good at spotting a "hesitant" keeper. They will crowd / jostle any in set piece situations. Ramsdale has lost confidence &, coming from a side that was relegated, I would have thought that would have been obvious to the manager & training staff. It could be that he is not a quick learner - remember Henderson's kicking when he first arrived? It took a short while to sort out. Surely the same staff (& management) has taken steps to rectify this in Ramsdale?
I'm still surprised that Verrips wasn't tried against Bristol Rovers but then I haven't seen the man in training. Nevertheless taking Ramsdale out of the firing line shouldn't be a question of "can't drop him as we've paid a lot of money for him". The cup tie vs Plymouth will speak volumes for Mr Wilders man management as I think he seems to be of the opinion that these players get paid fortunes & should "man up". I cannot guarantee that either reserve goalkeeper would improve the defensive performance but it will be no use in changing the goalkeeper against Man Utd with Egan not playing.
The (very) old adage that if you don't score goals you don't win matches works just as well for the opposition. Think the number of 1 - nil defeats & 1 -all draws this season. Only masochists can think that watching our team this season is worse than grinding out no score draws or even 1- nil wins with dull & boring football.
Dropping Ramsdale will hardly improve his confidence so I think either Foderingham plays and keeps his place against the two Manchester sides or you leave Ramsdale in.
This of course assumes that Verrips has a problem tat is keeping him off the bench
As an aside you may want to look at Henderson’s kicking this season !!

Norwood is a great passer, but he is clumsy on the ball, clumsy in the tackle and deadly slow. Behind him we have Egan, who turns like a tanker, and open space to the goal. Watching him chase Harry Kane back and eventually foul him was necessary, but rather sad.

A goal v Palace and two v Spurs down to him. The cost benefit analysis isn’t hard to do!

We need a robust box to box tackler in front of our back 3 - a poor man’s Kante (maybe like werewolf Hockey). At this level of pace and skill Norwood should never be the last line of defence in front of our back 3.

This is my own personal view of Didzy sorry I just cannot knock him, promotion 15 goals wasn't it? he adds so much more than goals. He covers virtually every blade of grass and is one of our main men in moves, I'm glad he's got goals this season just a shame other 10 are dire.

So in your opinion, what is the reason why this side has looked PL quality for half a season but so average/poor for the rest of the time?
Missing JOC, hendo and fans. That was enough for tight games going our way to going against us. Then the run of bad results has taken all our confidence away.

Didsy has always worked his socks off, even when things aren't going well. He also adds a touch of flair to our game.

Norwood had been incredible for 1.5 seasons, but I think many were getting tired of his lack of physicality, and this is now the main talking point as the team is really struggling in midfield.

Rammers, well he isn't Henderson, and was on a hiding to nothing from minute 1 with some of our supporters. Sadly, the nerves have now got to him. God help the lad when the crowds are back. I have no doubt he will be in for the same treatment Long got, i.e. red faced, grown men bounding down the Kop steps to call him a uselss c**t after every mistake.
This does worry me.

Norwood with the ball and the time and space to do what he wants with it is as good as anybody. Under pressure, we get the mistakes we saw against Spurs and without the ball altogether, he might as well not be on the field.

Ramsdale can't have come in sky high with confidence having been relegated and conceding goals left, right and centre and has continued to do so. He cost a fee that he hasn't managed to justify and lacks the confidence/arrogance of Henderson, physical presence of Blackman or the shouting at his defence of Moore. Any of those attributes would improve him. While not at fault for all the goals we've conceded, there are occasions where he could have done better.

McGoldrick has never been a prolific goalscorer. He was nothing more than a journeyman free agent who was injured all the time when we signed him so came without much expectation. We could all see what he contributed and plenty of us, Wilder included have said that we're a better team with him on the field, goals or not. The big reason why he didn't/doesn't get slated is because he doesn't make mistakes that lead to goals.

[QUOTE="coaxingstar71, post: 3085307, member: 15663
I have no confidence when the ball goes anywhere near Ramsdale.
[/QUOTE]

The problem is Ramsdale doesn’t go anywhere near the ball.🤣

Not his fault, if someone offered us £20k+ a week to do a job we’d take it - need to look at who’s recruiting and playing him

Hendo was always going to be a hard act to follow, fact is if Verrips comes in and does well he should keep his place next season
Meaning Hendo could possibly be first choice for a top 4 prem side and England, whilst Ramsdale won’t even be 1st choice for a championship side

Quite simply, Didsy doesn’t play like the ball is grenade without a pin. Neither doesn’t Berge.

hi i think rambo, norwood and didzy get unfairly critized by alot of fans but i think they are all great,,, who give there all for the blades team ,,utb,,,,in wilder i trust ...,forza blade,,,

Norwood has become the only midfielder in the league that doesn't tackle or head the ball. His version of closing down respects the rules for social distancing!
Granted with 'Sunday league time/space' he can ping it around.

Didzy is all what we expect when representing our beloved club. Written off by others, a 100 percenter week in week out. He'll run until he can no longer stand, track back, tackle and put his head in. But this lad can also play! He creates, scores and performs a role that no other blade can, by sitting in the hole causing havoc.

Rammers. Hmmm. AFC Bournemouth had our pants down, because from what I've seen at this half way stage he is no better than Wes, Verrips or Moore. I really hope that he turns it around, but the way he played Sunday left the impression of a kid without any confidence/nervous wreck. For him, fans not being there is probably a blessing.

It's pretty simple for me. McGoldrick was playing well last season despite not scoring.

Norwood and Ramsdale aren't playing very well. Ramsdale would be forgiven a lot of his mistakes if he pulled a few world class saves off, but he hasn't been doing so. Norwood would be forgiven if he was pinging the ball all over and dropping the odd bollock but he's not, he's playing safe and making mistakes.

-- "Deano would have had that." --

pommpey
Deano's shadow may be lurking large on Ramsdale's mind and shoulders. But I just wonder whether the fans at large are, in reality, still making any such a comparison? I for one am not. Comparing Deano and Rammers would be like comparing parallel universes. I just want Ramsdale to become the half-decent goalie he, I suspect, is.

Haven't compared him really to the GK's of our PL rivals, but I think doing so would hardly make me elated. Anyways, I like to believe Rammers really isn't as sh*te as he's been with us.

Lots of mental coaching needed there, I reckon. The good thing is that he's set the bar so low now, that he can only do better. Whilst I said he's been sh*te with us, I've passed the point of making an issue about him making a glarious mistake. It's the new normal. I'm trying to get behind him the best I can, and enjoy any shot he saves. If you take those saved shots the same way you'd react to us scoring a goal, it makes watching the team so much more pleasurable!

Ramsdale is struggling because when he makes a mistake it’s a goal. When Didzy does, it’s a goal kick. Thankfully people have seen the huge contribution Didzy makes as well. Add in him being free and part of promotion, it’s easy to see why Ramsdale gets pelters. Everyone blames the keeper.

As for Norwood, he’s not strong enough to play in the Premier League when he gives it away, it always seems to end up in the net. No wonder people get on his back, though much of the criticism, particularly re effort, unfair. He’s miles better than Lundstram, but JL is a big lad and doesn’t get so bullied.

I always try to loyal and supportive to ours players.

So players like Sharp and to a degree Duffy have done enough to be called legends...so in my eyes they can do no wrong.
I’ll always be respectful and grateful.....feel the same about Wilder too.

Norwood and Didzy aren’t quite legends but they’ve both earned plenty of goodwill.
Both cost virtually nothing and have given so much to the club.....my concience remembers this so I can easily forgive poor performances
besides even when Didzy is poor...he still works really hard with a great attitude.

Regards Ramsdsle I support him because he’s new to the club and young.
Also theres a common held view point that goalies reach their prime in their early 30’s.

My only concern with Ramsdale is he brings back memories of Steve Simmonson.....makes some great reflex saves
but he doesn’t command his area and there seems to be an air of panic amongst the defence. He still has my support though.

Last edited:
Didzy was one of the highest pre-assist players in league - the ball played to the man who provides the actual assist - I would argue often more important than the actual assist in that the final pass leading to a goal is invariably provided by a player in space who has the time to deliver a quality ball ie Didzy exceptional at finding a player in space.

As for Norwood, he’s not strong enough to play in the Premier League when he gives it away, it always seems to end up in the net. No wonder people get on his back, though much of the criticism, particularly re effort, unfair. He’s miles better than Lundstram, but JL is a big lad and doesn’t get so bullied.

During our early matches last season the thing I noticed the most comparing the PL to the Championship was the athleticism.
Surprisingly I didn’t think overall quality was better in the PL but everyone looks like an athlete on steroids.
Also the finishing is much higher in the PL....goals can be scored from nothing.

Therefore when out of possession Norwood really struggles to compete....but we always knew that...it’s not a secret Norwood needs regular possesion of the ball.
Agree Lundstram had worked even harder in his fitness and strength....so he can compete at PL level.

Deano's shadow may be lurking large on Ramsdale's mind and shoulders. But I just wonder whether the fans at large are, in reality, still making any such a comparison? I for one am not. Comparing Deano and Rammers would be like comparing parallel universes. I just want Ramsdale to become the half-decent goalie he, I suspect, is.
I'm not any more. There is literally no point. It's like comparing me to Usain Bolt.

Unfortunately I am comparing him with other Keepers I've seen. And it isn't a flattering comparison.

He's nowhere near the level of Kelly, Tracey or Kenny.

I'm not even sure he's as good as Simonsen, Howard, Long.

He probably is better that Baxter.

Back
Top Bottom