Fan’s views on how the season should end

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Said it before. Play Villa v Blades and Man. City v Arsenal behind closed doors and then each team in the PL will have played 29 games - a good 'sample size' and over 76% of the season completed.

Every team would have played another at least once (and the Blades will have played Liverpool and City twice, thus distorting our figures downward). No way will the full season be completed but, this way, the PL could be done by May/June. Villa would be given the chance to escape relegation and the inevitable whiners like Karen Brady should be ignored as they don't want a solution - just their cheating bastard of a team to keep polluting the PL.

Scrap the FA Cup as none of the remaining clubs could claim they were 'on the brink of winning the Cup'. Simple.

Fan’s views on how life should end

There fixed it for you 👍

Bundesliga going to play games behind closed doors by end of May, but no games with fans present until 2021 !!!

Also bear in mind Germany hasn’t been hit as hard as us. It’s going to be a long long time until we get to watch the Blades in the flesh again.

A large number of EFL clubs are going to go to the wall.

Said it before. Play Villa v Blades and Man. City v Arsenal behind closed doors and then each team in the PL will have played 29 games - a good 'sample size' and over 76% of the season completed.

Every team would have played another at least once (and the Blades will have played Liverpool and City twice, thus distorting our figures downward). No way will the full season be completed but, this way, the PL could be done by May/June. Villa would be given the chance to escape relegation and the inevitable whiners like Karen Brady should be ignored as they don't want a solution - just their cheating bastard of a team to keep polluting the PL.

Scrap the FA Cup as none of the remaining clubs could claim they were 'on the brink of winning the Cup'. Simple.

There are a billion reasons why the season will finish!

Would you be for this is the blades were in Bournemouth’s position?

Same points as Watford & just one goal difference from safety. 9 games to play it’s all up for grabs.

It needs to be scrapped all together or finished in my opinion.

To finish it, I think it would need to be agreed that all contracts, sponsorship & TV deals need to be extended for 3 months and games to be played behind closed doors with some sort of testing in place for pla

Forget next season I think it’s just not worth starting it, just for it to be stopped, started, played behind closed doors etc even if that means a 6-12 month break.

Forget next season I think it’s just not worth starting it, just for it to be stopped, started, played behind closed doors etc even if that means a 6-12 month break.

That would put many clubs, including us out of business.. no TV money for a year..we would be finished..

the entire EFL would also go bust.

That would put many clubs, including us out of business.. no TV money for a year..we would be finished..

the entire EFL would also go bust.

I mean delay the start, not just skip a season. Just until we’re through this, it could be October 2020 it’s could be February 2021 we just don’t know.

You can’t start a season if there’s a chance we could be placed in lockdown. Do you not agree?

The only solution would be to play behind closed doors but if that brings risks to players, officials, club employees, club coach driver, club doctors etc is this a necessary risk, the 1st illness or god forbid death and the season stops2,3,4games in anyway.

Clubs will need help by the footballing bodies and the government, which they’re already getting but above all players just simply cannot expect full salaries if they’re not working, just like the rest of us.

We all hope that at some point football will return, whenever and however that may be.

Why resume football with anything other than the continuation of the season? Ideally there will be suitable agreements reached with all stakeholders for contracts, sponsorships and broadcast deals to roll over to the end of this season, but if not then the league positions will remain in tact and the rest we’ll just have to figure out. There will be difficult financial issues to resolve whatever happens, but the fairest and simplest way to move forward as a sport is to conclude the season.

When we can see a likely end date for the season we can consider when and how to run the next season. It may require cancellation or adjusted formats of cup competitions, but the most important thing (after everyone’s safety) is to protect the integrity of the league system otherwise everything collapses.

Just merge this season into the next one, simples.

I think it's only right, that we should finish 4th, we deserve it.
I was sure third was up for grabs, sure enough Man City will concentrate for long enough to grab second but then who knows a bronze medal for the Premier league will fit nicely in our trophy room.

I think we should run 2 seasons over three, with this season being the first so 47/48 games over the next two seasons depending when we can safely restart.
It could be next the calendar year before we start again so even this maybe tight but it gives the leagues a chance to fully reset following this. All the contracts can just be moved a year.

Same points as Watford & just one goal difference from safety. 9 games to play it’s all up for grabs.
Couldn’t agree more, there’s so much more to consider...players not injured anymore for example?

To finish it, I think it would need to be agreed that all contracts, sponsorship & TV deals need to be extended for 3 months and games to be played behind closed doors with some sort of testing in place for pla

Couldn’t agree more pal. We are in the ascension, so screw Watford and Bournemouth. Aren’t we in danger of sounding a little like Karen Brady, but with our own agenda. It’s either finished in full, or never happened.

<< The Premier League is set to announce that the season is 'over' according to extraordinary claims from Italy.

Udinese director Pierpaolo Marino, whose side is also controlled the by Watford owners the Pozzo family, has claimed that the English top-flight will be cancelled due to ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“The Belgian Federation has already sanctioned the end of their league, despite the threats of sanctions from UEFA,” Marino told outlet Sportitalia.

“In England, the Premier League is about to release a similar statement, because the situation there is becoming very, very serious. I frankly just hope we can enjoy football again after the coronavirus.

“It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we need to get out of this danger zone. I am worried for the next seasons, not the old one.” >>

Imagine my surprise at discovering Udinese are currently 3 points clear of the relegation zone in the “old” season their director isn’t worried about being completed.

Not to mention Watford being one goal clear of the relegation zone in The Premier League.

Karen Brady, eat your heart out.

I want you to imagine that you bought an airline ticket to Buenos Aires - but the aeroplane landed 8000 miles away in Mexico City and the pilot said, "that's it fellas, that's as far as we are going. Sorry if you bought a ticket all the way to Buenos Aires, but do buy one of those again and next time we might go all the way".

Or how about if you bought a book and were three quarters of the way through reading it - when you found that the rest of the pages were missing? You go back to the shop and complain and they say, "here...try a different book, by a different author" and you say, "No! I want to know how that book ends first - give me one with all the pages in it FFS!".

You go to watch the Men's Final's at Wimbledon and after 3 sets a public announcement comes over the tannoy and says..."that's it folks, we're not going to do the full 5 sets, we're stopping the match here and making it null and void - do come again to the final next year!" How would you feel about that?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's really important to finish what has been started. How that is done is less important, to me, than the basic principle of finishing this competition before starting a new one. If that means there is no "next season" because we are still trying to finish this one off - then fine. But you can not just cancel a competition like this and say - it's o.k. we're going to start a new one instead.

What if we have another strain of coronavirus around the same time next year? That's not unlikely btw, sorry to say. What are we going to do then? Cancel next season's football as well and make that two seasons of "null and void"?

I'm sorry but those fans, or Directors, who are calling for the season to be null and void, are either doing so because it benefits their club, or they are plain stupid and don't realise that the competition would be seriously devalued if the season was not completed - however long that may take.

(And imo it shouldn't take long. On another thread on here a few weeks ago there was a poll as to when football might start again - I said "May". We heard yesterday that May 18th is when the pubs/restaurants/bars will be open again - so I'm guessing that somewhere around that time the footy will resume - by the end of May quite possibly. Play 2 games a week and we'll be done by beginning of July - start the new season in September. There you go! Problem solved!

Got to play the season out even if it is behind closed doors, null & void is not an option as all the clubs in relegation spots or promotion spots would be straight on the phone to the lawyers and rightly so.
Start off by scrapping the League cup next season to free up some fixture slots and start next seasons leagues at a later date, also put the FA cup under review as to whether it is worth starting it. As for European competitions to cut down on fixtures make them a straight knockout competition for next season only.

And this is why we'll be discussing this into next year. Surely no team has been relegated/denied promotion more often on the basis of 'what ifs' than the Blades? (2007 and 2012 being the most recent examples).

I'd like to think that - when this is all over - the UK will emerge leaner and fitter as we change things that we do 'because we've always done it that way'. If ending this season satisfactorily (and it will never please everybody - Bournemouth, Watford, Villa, West Ham and Norwich are where they are because they've been relatively shite compared to the rest of the PL over 28/29 games) means encroaching into the 2020-21 season, free up some space by scrapping all the meaningless 'International breaks', the League Cup, participation in the African Cup of Nations, The Johnstones's Paint nonsense etc.

Got to play the season out even if it is behind closed doors, null & void is not an option as all the clubs in relegation spots or promotion spots would be straight on the phone to the lawyers and rightly so.
Start off by scrapping the League cup next season to free up some fixture slots and start next seasons leagues at a later date, also put the FA cup under review as to whether it is worth starting it. As for European competitions to cut down on fixtures make them a straight knockout competition for next season only.
Agree with all that, plus we've also got the winter break we can ditch and how about the Eufa cancel International friendlies before Euro 2021? That would do away with the dreaded 'International break' and would be fair since all teams would have the same level of preparation.

Agree with all that, plus we've also got the winter break we can ditch and how about the Eufa cancel International friendlies before Euro 2021? That would do away with the dreaded 'International break' and would be fair since all teams would have the same level of preparation.

The Euro 2021 play-offs need to be played so they need at least one international break

The Euro 2021 play-offs need to be played so they need at least one international break
Maybe just one weekend halfway through the season YB? Or possibly, Tuesday to Thursday the England players train together as a squad, but go back to their clubs to play the club games instead of an international friendly?

Maybe just one weekend halfway through the season YB? Or possibly, Tuesday to Thursday the England players train together as a squad, but go back to their clubs to play the club games instead of an international friendly?

The play-offs are a Semi-Final and Final so 2 matches maximum, so you'd think the countries not involved in play-offs will play at least one friendly. But the nations league will be cancelled.

There is also the issue of the 2022 World Cup qualification, but as that is a winter tournament, that gives a little more time. They might decide to reduce the size of the qualification groups to say 4 or even 3 teams in order to reduce the amount of matches.

Maybe it should all end in gladiatorial hand to hand combat to the death.... TO THE DEATH!
All teams just go at each other with swords and pikes (there may be chariots with spikes on the wheels, who knows? Tigers? Why not, I mean who wouldn't want to see West Ham mauled by big cats?)After hours of brutal mayhem (again, possibly involving chariots), our Blades would ultimately be victorious, letting us bask in the sight of Emperor and Lord High Chancellor Wilder and his tribe of gore covered warriors climbing to the top of a pile of steaming Premier League football shirt clad corpses to plant our skull topped Blades standard atop it, revelling in our bloodthirsty roars of approval, reaching a crescendo as we hail them as our new Gods and masters.
Crying to the heavens "HAIL WILDER!!"...

Or we could just play out the rest of the season 2 games a week behind closed doors.

Sadly its not going to restart until all 60 million of the country have all been tested and proven to be CV19 free. We're not going to Europe until all Europeans have been proven to be CV19 free or else it all starts again - our immune systems are only as strong as the weakest link no matter what game we are playing..

Back
Top Bottom