Faith slightly restored!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Robboblade1889

Reaction score
I have some of my faith restored tonight seeing the complete nutters who are calling for the managers head get shot down by 95% of Blades. I believe some of these are Wednesday fans or fans that have only started following us during the good times. Knowing how modern day football fans are in this day and age we all knew the first sign of trouble would bring out the bottom feeders. Like many on here I have followed United all over the country for over 30 years this is by far the best time we have had in our recent history and by far the best manager.

Should he be given a free pass and not criticised no not at all but people going that step further and actually thinking he should be sacked is compete and utter madness. If any man can get us out of this position its Chris Wilder, and if he doesn't get us out of it we go down with a tram we could have only dreamed about in those dark days in league one. How anyone could think they would want anyone else to be given the opportunity to take us up is again complete madness.

Don't underestimate what the lack of fans is doing to us, it is huge. I know It is the same for every team but we need the crowd we feed off it. I do think the left hand side is an issue and Wilder should have probably got someone in to cover JOC. I think he did but for whatever reason it didn't happen Chris needs to find a way to overcome this but he will. Keep the faith Blades its always a rollercoaster following our great club I firmly believe he will see us through this and we will come back stronger.

As long as a distinction can be made from “calling for his head” and “questioning his judgement”, sign me up.

But to be absolutely clear, the two are fundamentally different and not at all linked in any way shape or form.

UTB
We’ve got to question the judgement, otherwise we continue to do the same things. £120m has barely improved the team - that’s a BIG issue and we’ve got to change the way we do things.

Wilder is the man we should trust to improve on this statistic, and / or bring us back to the premier league should we drop.

I’m totally convinced by that, but questions really should be asked.

I don't think anyone is really wanting Wilder out. Considering who we have had as team manager, right the way back to John Harris, it has been a big, roller coaster ride of mainly uphills and precious little gut-floaty, screamy drops. Wilder has brought us a lot of the latter, and I fully endorse him remaining, even if we do unfortunately fall through the trapdoor.

However ...

We're in the big league ... and that isn't EFL Division One or The Championship. It's not just a step up in footballing ability, but business wise, the whole landscape has been repainted. For the £100m we have reportedly spent, some return is needed. Last season I think paid for itself, although our big investments hardly did. It was investments elsewhere which made the difference. Luckily for the meagre amount of goals we scored, we conceded less. This season we are conceding more than we score, thanks to two assets of success now being missing. Bigger investments are not making any impact and the consistent factors are Chris Wilder and the formation and tactics.

We can change one of those.

We don't want to change the other.

If one doesn't change, it's not beyond our owners to change both, if we keep getting beaten, and nothing we as supporters can to to stop that. The treasures of football in the top flight cannot be underestimated. Even with a tailwind now and winning ten of our remaining games, that still gives us 31 points, not enough to survive, and with draws, still fighting to avoid the drop.

Shit got real this weekend against WHU. Lose to WBA and the cohort lambasting the critics need to line up their reasons, rather than being dismissive and abusive.

pommpey

As long as a distinction can be made from “calling for his head” and “questioning his judgement”, sign me up.

But to be absolutely clear, the two are fundamentally different and not at all linked in any way shape or form.

UTB

I, as well as 99% of other Blades don’t want rid and aren’t calling for him to be sacked. I don’t think I’ve actually seen anyone post that on here anyway. Love the bloke for what he’s done. He’s given us four years we could only dream of before. Agree that there isn’t anyone else better for the job right now either.

Some of the bitch fits, name-calling and pig-accusations towards people daring to ask why we have only one point from our last 13 league games has been outrageous though. This forum isn’t designed to be a big North Korea propaganda machine.

UTB

This.

I've seen very few people, on here at least, calling for his head.

I've seen more people telling us we're not allowed to have an opinion.

I’ve not met a single Blade who wants Wilder out
but that’s not saying much because I’m now working from home and hardly see anyone.

Cant imagine a single sane Blade wanting Wilder to go...surely we need to show him some loyalty. He’s worked miracles...given me some of my best times in 50 years....he’ll always be a hero to me....so think we need to wait until Christmas before even giving it a thought.

At the moment he has mu 100% support.

Some of the bitch fits, name-calling and pig-accusations towards people daring to ask why we have only one point from our last 13 league games has been outrageous though. This forum isn’t designed to be a big North Korea propaganda machine.

This is so true, been called a fuckwit and a pig for daring to raise the question yesterday,
There’s a thread, yes a full thread called ‘get to fuck’ which starts by calling anyone speaking out of turn dickheads.

It appears that anyone daring to even question the situation is in for a modern day ‘night of the long knives’

I like most people on here have a mature ability to be able to-

Question the points tally, goals scored, goals against tactics, subs, transfers, etc that all stand at CWs door

Whilst believing that there isn’t a manager out there I would rather have, and should the worse happen, still no one better to take us up.

It is possible to support and raise doubts at the same time.

It’s also interesting to see that the more aggressive tone is by the ‘how dare you question him’ brigade, whereas the unswerving loyalty followers don’t receive the same vitriol - not sure why, age??

We’ve got to question the judgement, otherwise we continue to do the same things. £120m has barely improved the team - that’s a BIG issue and we’ve got to change the way we do things.

Wilder is the man we should trust to improve on this statistic, and / or bring us back to the premier league should we drop.

When you lose someone of JOC"s value, an integral cog in the mechanism that makes us tick, the whole machine is affected. You cannot categorically state that their signings haven't been of value until the machine is working as a whole again. Sadly that's not going to happen anytime soon. We've found ourselves in the Coutts situation again. 😢

I am 100% behind CW/ AK
Are they immune from constructive criticism absolutely not , and they’ll be the first to admit it
We have a proven manager at all levels of the football pyramid ( how many clubs in the championship would kill for his ability and achievements) If he was to be sacked he’d have to beat them away with a shitty stick
He deserves criticism for some of his selections/ tactics / signings
however loyalty works both ways and I’m going to say it now even if we go down this management team have to stay in charge
I’m feeling shit at our results and performances as are all Blades however I’m got going to throw our best manager Since Basset ( in my book ) over board to be replaced by who
Pardew / big Sam / shtevie mac
Hold our nerve Blades
He is one of own

I am 100% behind CW/ AK
Are they immune from constructive criticism absolutely not , and they’ll be the first to admit it
We have a proven manager at all levels of the football pyramid ( how many clubs in the championship would kill for his ability and achievements) If he was to be sacked he’d ha
however loyalty works both ways and I’m going to say it now even if we go down this management team have to stay in charge
I’m feeling shit at our results and performances as are all Blades however I’m got going to throw our best manager Since Basset ( in my book ) over board to be replaced by who
Hold our nerve Blades
He is one of own
I think it would be more of a sigh.

This is so true, been called a fuckwit and a pig for daring to raise the question yesterday,
There’s a thread, yes a full thread called ‘get to fuck’ which starts by calling anyone speaking out of turn dickheads.

It appears that anyone daring to even question the situation is in for a modern day ‘night of the long knives’

I like most people on here have a mature ability to be able to-

Question the points tally, goals scored, goals against tactics, subs, transfers, etc that all stand at CWs door

Whilst believing that there isn’t a manager out there I would rather have, and should the worse happen, still no one better to take us up.

It is possible to support and raise doubts at the same time.

It’s also interesting to see that the more aggressive tone is by the ‘how dare you question him’ brigade, whereas the unswerving loyalty followers don’t receive the same vitriol - not sure why, age??
Have a look through some of the threads the vast majority of people don’t have any issue with the questions and criticism it is threads like P45 and other ones saying things like he’s got until New Year’s Day! There are a lot of people who may be saying they don’t want wilder out while vociferously arguing why he should be sacked! If you genuinely want him to say you would criticise but also add balance!
The idea that people are saying you can’t criticise is a myth usually perpetrated by people arguing why he should go!

When you lose someone of JOC"s value, an integral cog in the mechanism that makes us tick, the whole machine is affected. You cannot categorically state that their signings haven't been of value until the machine is working as a whole again. Sadly that's not going to happen anytime soon. We've found ourselves in the Coutts situation again. 😢
I agree it’s not just about the new signings, clearly there are other factors.

But we must read between the lines. Do you think the new signings looked value last season when we were in fire?

Is it paying off to gamble so much on youth? Did JOC contribute to McBurnie’s miss yesterday, or Ramsdale mistakes last week?

There’s no doubt it’s difficult to know what to do, but would you feel confident in doing more of the same?

I’m sorry but the O’Connell injury is just an excuse as far as I’m concerned. You do know that he played in 4 of our last 12 matches? Which all ended in defeats.

O’Connell’s injury is a big blow, but we’re not in the middle of a massive injury crisis. We should be able to cope and pick up more points than we currently are.

I’m sorry but the O’Connell injury is just an excuse as far as I’m concerned. You do know that he played in 4 of our last 12 matches? Which all ended in defeats.

O’Connell’s injury is a big blow, but we’re not in the middle of a massive injury crisis. We should be able to cope and pick up more points than we currently are.
He wasn't fully fit.

He wasn't fully fit.

But does that not then close the loop back to his selection?

We all have a degree in hindsight, however if you play someone who isn’t fully fit and loose the gamble backfired, but if you do that 4 times......

Not saying a fully fit Robinson would have changed the results by the way

Which is the lesser of 2 evils?

We played Jack knowing he wasn’t fully fit
Or
We played our best fully fit 11?

Maybe the £120k will improve the squad but not this year. We live in hope that it does in 2021

I don't think anyone is really wanting Wilder out. Considering who we have had as team manager, right the way back to John Harris, it has been a big, roller coaster ride of mainly uphills and precious little gut-floaty, screamy drops. Wilder has brought us a lot of the latter, and I fully endorse him remaining, even if we do unfortunately fall through the trapdoor.

However ...

We're in the big league ... and that isn't EFL Division One or The Championship. It's not just a step up in footballing ability, but business wise, the whole landscape has been repainted. For the £100m we have reportedly spent, some return is needed. Last season I think paid for itself, although our big investments hardly did. It was investments elsewhere which made the difference. Luckily for the meagre amount of goals we scored, we conceded less. This season we are conceding more than we score, thanks to two assets of success now being missing. Bigger investments are not making any impact and the consistent factors are Chris Wilder and the formation and tactics.

We can change one of those.

We don't want to change the other.

If one doesn't change, it's not beyond our owners to change both, if we keep getting beaten, and nothing we as supporters can to to stop that. The treasures of football in the top flight cannot be underestimated. Even with a tailwind now and winning ten of our remaining games, that still gives us 31 points, not enough to survive, and with draws, still fighting to avoid the drop.

Shit got real this weekend against WHU. Lose to WBA and the cohort lambasting the critics need to line up their reasons, rather than being dismissive and abusive.

pommpey
Excellent post. The abuse of well reasoned criticism needs to stop. Some of the anger, when even the slightest whisper of dissent is made, is frankly embarrassing. It’s a football club, not a cult.

Last edited:
I am 100% behind CW/ AK
We have a proven manager at all levels of the football pyramid ( how many clubs in the championship would kill for his ability and achievements) If he was to be sacked he’d have to beat them away with a shitty stick
Hold our nerve Blades
He is one of own
spot on dublin he has to be given a chance to get us back up if the worst happens hes earned that right for the last 4 amazing years and i for one will be bitterly dissapointed if the prince sacks him what worries me is if he decides to walk which looking at his body language of late is a distinct possibility utb fto

I have some of my faith restored tonight seeing the complete nutters who are calling for the managers head get shot down by 95% of Blades. I believe some of these are Wednesday fans or fans that have only started following us during the good times. Knowing how modern day football fans are in this day and age we all knew the first sign of trouble would bring out the bottom feeders. Like many on here I have followed United all over the country for over 30 years this is by far the best time we have had in our recent history and by far the best manager.

Should he be given a free pass and not criticised no not at all but people going that step further and actually thinking he should be sacked is compete and utter madness. If any man can get us out of this position its Chris Wilder, and if he doesn't get us out of it we go down with a tram we could have only dreamed about in those dark days in league one. How anyone could think they would want anyone else to be given the opportunity to take us up is again complete madness.

Don't underestimate what the lack of fans is doing to us, it is huge. I know It is the same for every team but we need the crowd we feed off it. I do think the left hand side is an issue and Wilder should have probably got someone in to cover JOC. I think he did but for whatever reason it didn't happen Chris needs to find a way to overcome this but he will. Keep the faith Blades its always a rollercoaster following our great club I firmly believe he will see us through this and we will come back stronger.
Fantastic post - the last time we sat in a stadium was us beating Norwich 1 0 and pushing for the top 4 finish ... do people really never want to see CW again after that achievement? I do ... #Lockdown football didn't suit us - but we will be back 100% once the fans are back in

Excellent post. The abuse of well reasoned criticism needs to stop. Some of the anger, when even the slightest whisper of dissent is made, is frankly embarrassing. It’s a football club, not a cult.

I agree. Back in the dismal days of Adkins, Clough and Weir I would get no end of pelters from the 'you never fucking go, so what do you know?' brigade, like that would suddenly make right a shockingly poor home defeat to Peterborough go away. The position of the club is the evidence, the result the cause.

The same is today, save that most matches are fortunately televised. Fortunately back then also, we still had Deadbat's detailed strip-down of the game and I'd more or less get the same outcomes from my buddy who would be at every game. Slinging shit doesn't change things when times are bad. The players at the moment must be feeling more wretched than us, Wilder must be sat as we speak either in conversation with people various across the club's structure, or sat staring into space thinking how he can stop us being relegated. It won't change if we critics sit silent, just as it won't if we go outside and clap United every Thursday night or summat. The only thing we can do is benignly give our ten pennorth (and that is exactly how much it should be worth to Chris Wilder) and hope upon hope that we beat West Brom and start the recovery - now.

pommpey

Like I said the anger is aimed at the idiots arguing for wilder to go not for people questioning! Not sure how many times people have to say this?

Like I said the anger is aimed at the idiots arguing for wilder to go not for people questioning! Not sure how many times people have to say this?
Maybe it is. But from where I’m looking, the majority of abuse is coming from one perspective. And it absolutely is bleeding over onto those that aren’t perceived to be towing the party line.

UTB
The 95% of the Blades fans that have shouted down the “nutters” don’t make this distinction. If anyone “questions his judgement” it goes like this...

questions his judgement = calling for his head ➡️ Issue abuse​

The 95% of the Blades fans that have shouted down the “nutters” don’t make this distinction. If anyone “questions his judgement” it goes like this...

questions his judgement = calling for his head ➡️ Issue abuse​
If you treat the club like a cult, then blaspheming against the cult leader must only be met by the harshest of penalties.

Again, we are in a fucking entirely different universe we were when the car park was full of shoe holding refuseniks and people wondering what planet Adkins was on.

I think a lot of people are more 'could he be sacked' than 'should he be sacked'. I am wondering how much tolerance is built into HRHs system to keep going with the team continuing to underperform in such a way. Can any of you see us going away to Turf Moor after Christmas still on one point with -20 GD and allowing fellow relegation rivals Burnley a single goal win with a performance like yesterday's?

I'd say that would seal his fate.

pommpey

spot on dublin he has to be given a chance to get us back up if the worst happens hes earned that right for the last 4 amazing years and i for one will be bitterly dissapointed if the prince sacks him what worries me is if he decides to walk which looking at his body language of late is a distinct possibility utb fto
I’ve seen a lot of posts worrying about CW walking. I’m puzzled, why on earth would he do that? a) who would have him in the PL? b) he loves this club but would forever be tainted as leaving us in a mess he created c) if we do go down he must fancy his chances of getting us straight back up with all the adulation and increased value on his head.

Again, we are in a fucking entirely different universe we were when the car park was full of shoe holding refuseniks and people wondering what planet Adkins was on.

I think a lot of people are more 'could he be sacked' than 'should he be sacked'. I am wondering how much tolerance is built into HRHs system to keep going with the team continuing to underperform in such a way. Can any of you see us going away to Turf Moor after Christmas still on one point with -20 GD and allowing fellow relegation rivals Burnley a single goal win with a performance like yesterday's?

I'd say that would seal his fate.

pommpey
All your posts on this subject Pommpey have been spot on mate

Back
Top Bottom