Ex tough Blades who would make Premier shake!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No mention of Bradshaw? Definitely had a screw loose somewhere.

Funny enough thought of him today when Stuart Pearce was being interviewed about the cup final. Had the nickname Psycho and a hardman reputation yet he was shit scared of Bradshaw.

Tony Hardisty an excellent reporter who covered United for the Star was a Forest fan and he said that Pearce was Bradshaws bunny. :)

Not sure when the match was played but looking at that link I'm pretty sure it was Bobby Noble who fouled Woody. Could have sworn Mallenders standoff was with Ian Ure but it was a long time ago and I must be mistaken. Maybe it was David Sadler, whoever it was they were taller than Ken. having said which I'm taller than him and I'm only 6 foot which used to be reasonably tall but is looking shorter by the year! :)
The Boxing Day Match in 1966 was the only match against Man U at Bramall Lane when we had Woody and Mallender in the same team.

Maybe when Ure was playing for Arsenal?

Don't think so, but to be honest I can't be sure, long time ago. the player that fouled Woody had blond hair and I was sure it was Ian Ure in the face off, but can't be positive after all this time. I sometimes bump into Len Badger and he told me he's still a mate of Mallender so if I remember next time I meet him I'll ask him if he can recall what happened. I remember Birchenall was involved in the melee, in that kind of ' hold me back ' way that the more sensible adopt in such situations. :)

Not sure when the match was played but looking at that link I'm pretty sure it was Bobby Noble who fouled Woody. Could have sworn Mallenders standoff was with Ian Ure but it was a long time ago and I must be mistaken. Maybe it was David Sadler, whoever it was they were taller than Ken. having said which I'm taller than him and I'm only 6 foot which used to be reasonably tall but is looking shorter by the year! :)

Sure Sadler had dark hair. Crerand? He was a dirty bastard ( but could play)

He would be the Skipper (Whitehurst). No-one more sound than him.
The list of hardest footballers starts, and ends, with Bad Boy Billy.

Billy and Chris Morgan were sat just in front of me at the recent Ipswich game. Good job they weren't sat in my seat! :D
No mention of Bradshaw? Definitely had a screw loose somewhere.

The last-day defeat at Chelsea in 1994. Many, many hours later, me and a couple of equally pissed-up Blades found ourselves back in the Lane Social Club. Enter a furious Bradshaw and Vinnie Jones. You know what it's like when you're pissed and you don't realise you're staring at someone? For a couple of seconds it looked like it would kick off. Good job etc. etc.:D

Billy and Chris Morgan were sat just in front of me at the recent Ipswich game. Good job they weren't sat in my seat! :D

The last-day defeat at Chelsea in 1994. Many, many hours later, me and a couple of equally pissed-up Blades found ourselves back in the Lane Social Club. Enter a furious Bradshaw and Vinnie Jones. You know what it's like when you're pissed and you don't realise you're staring at someone? For a couple of seconds it looked like it would kick off. Good job etc. etc.:D

Wasn’t Jones back at Wimbledon in 1994?

There has been a lot of names mentioned here quite rightly as tough players who could handle themselves , but in my time nobody comes close to Billy Whitehurst as a genuine hardman. There are many Stories about him , Harry Bassett has a few which he tells in his book. Like the time Razer Ruddock was bullying Deano all the first half playing for Spurs against us at the Lane. Billy wasn't playing , but Harry told him to "Have a word" with Ruddock, which he did in the tunnel going out for the second half. He didn't go near Deano for the rest of the game!

There has been a lot of names mentioned here quite rightly as tough players who could handle themselves , but in my time nobody comes close to Billy Whitehurst as a genuine hardman. There are many Stories about him , Harry Bassett has a few which he tells in his book. Like the time Razer Ruddock was bullying Deano all the first half playing for Spurs against us at the Lane. Billy wasn't playing , but Harry told him to "Have a word" with Ruddock, which he did in the tunnel going out for the second half. He didn't go near Deano for the rest of the game!

Billy's hands look twice the size of a normal bloke, so his fists will be massive.

I guess he could have been a boxer if he wanted to go down that path, he had natural knock out power.

There are a few stories of him whispering in the ear of talented opposition players, "if you piss me off, I'll be waiting for you in the tunnel when the whistle goes", and funnily enough those talented players would usually go on to have a shit game against us.

Not one mention of Micky speight that lad had a serious nasty Streak and never backed out

He also had boots with fluorescent stripes down the side, the first ones I had ever seen, I pestered my parents to get me some "Mick Speight boots" for Christmas and they did ("Gola" I think?).

Sure Sadler had dark hair. Crerand? He was a dirty bastard ( but could play)

Wasn't Crerand he wasn't that tall, and whoever it was was taller than Mallender. Also pretty sure Crerand would have had a go. I'd have backed Ken but Crerand would have tried it. Over fifty years ago and both Man U and Arsenal wore bright yellow away shirts with blue trim around that period. As Ure played for both of them I may have confused the two. Either way Mallender knocked out the guy who fouled Woody and as far as I remember no one got sent off!. Those were the good old days, VAR will ruin it all :(

Wasn't Crerand he wasn't that tall, and whoever it was was taller than Mallender. Also pretty sure Crerand would have had a go. I'd have backed Ken but Crerand would have tried it. Over fifty years ago and both Man U and Arsenal wore bright yellow away shirts with blue trim around that period. As Ure played for both of them I may have confused the two. Either way Mallender knocked out the guy who fouled Woody and as far as I remember no one got sent off!. Those were the good old days, VAR will ruin it all :(
Bill Foulkes?

Crerand was 5’10”. Man United played in either white or blue away kits at that time. Yellow was in the seventies, Arsenal yellow from 68.

Man United played in either white or blue away kits at that time

The proper United, Manyoo and Liverpool all played in the same away kit in the early 70s:

4268430-6161189-image-a-62_1536784844976.jpg

I remember that game. First time I saw George who I thought was the best player I’ve seen. That game wouldn’t have been played nowadays because the pitch was very icy. George had the grace of a ballet dancer on it.
He has played 5 times for Man U and twice for Fulham at Bramall Lane. He scored only once and that was his first appearance there in December 1964. He missed Man U's next match at the stadium in April 1966 (we won 3-1) due to an injury.

Back
Top Bottom