Ex tough Blades who would make Premier shake!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
What with the mamby pamby prima donna's strutting around the pitch and falling down with the slightest touch players of today, could we put together a team of ex hardmen Blades that would make the premier tossers of today shake in their boots.

May i start with....centre forward.....Bashing Billy Whitehurst!28F1550700000578-3091672-image-a-95_1432237957475.jpg

What with the mamby pamby prima donna's strutting around the pitch and falling down with the slightest touch players of today, could we put together a team of ex hardmen Blades that would make the premier tossers of today shake in their boots.

May i start with....centre forward.....Bashing Billy Whitehurst!View attachment 53917

Billy would do that single handed, you don't need 10 others.

But if you need more, Chris Morgan, John Lundstram, and for all his lack of height, Michael Doyle was the team enforcer when he was here. I remember a mid week game where one of our lands got crunched a couple of times. Doyle comes on and the first chance he gets his takes the bloke out with a thundering tackle, then sort of shrugged to the ref as if it was an accident.

Dave Powell,

A member of the magnificent John Harris side, his debut was fairly quiet and Blades fans had to wait until the second half when he launched into a tackle that was heard in Swansea...

Became a copper back in Wales, and when the news reached the local heavies, they all retired on the spot.

A very hard man, legend

Ken Mallender, all other hard men that have played in the red and white stripes since pale into insignificance in comparison to Ken.

Night match at the Lane, Blades v Man U, we are attacking the kop, Man U left back takes out Woody with a horrendous horizontal thigh high tackle which would be a straight red today.

Both sets of players get involved in a 'hold me back, handbags ' pushing and shoving contest. I'm on the kop with a mate and I say to him " watch Mallender ".

Ken strolls up ( everyone else had rushed in ) he walks around both sets of players until he is in the middle of the Man U team facing their left back, one red and white shirt surrounded by bright yellow ones. He hits their player with the best punch I've ever seen on a football pitch and drops him cold. The Man U players go ballistic they get in his face Ian Ure is nose to nose with him. Ken looks calmly back at them expressionless his hands by his side. No one lays a finger on Ken Mallender.

A couple of years after that I met him at a party and was introduced to him by my girlfriend at the time who used to go out with him.
Lovely bloke, very friendly, couldn't help noticing though those expressionless dead eyes that serious hardcases tend to have.

Ken Mallender, all other hard men that have played in the red and white stripes since pale into insignificance in comparison to Ken.

Night match at the Lane, Blades v Man U, we are attacking the kop, Man U left back takes out Woody with a horrendous horizontal thigh high tackle which would be a straight red today.

Both sets of players get involved in a 'hold me back, handbags ' pushing and shoving contest. I'm on the kop with a mate and I say to him " watch Mallender ".

Ken strolls up ( everyone else had rushed in ) he walks around both sets of players until he is in the middle of the Man U team facing their left back, one red and white shirt surrounded by bright yellow ones. He hits their player with the best punch I've ever seen on a football pitch and drops him cold. The Man U players go ballistic they get in his face Ian Ure is nose to nose with him. Ken looks calmly back at them expressionless his hands by his side. No one lays a finger on Ken Mallender.

A couple of years after that I met him at a party and was introduced to him by my girlfriend at the time who used to go out with him.
Lovely bloke, very friendly, couldn't help noticing though those expressionless dead eyes that serious hardcases tend to have.
Ian Ure never played for Man U against us. He joined them in 1969 after Mallender left us.

Was the match you thinking of in Boxing Day 1966?
http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/match_data/match_sql.php?my_match_date=1966-12-26

Ted Hemsley and Len Badger.

Both of them knew how to 'play the game'. I saw Len hit Francis Lee (no softy himself) with a tackle by the touchline, BL/JS quarter by the touchline one. Fuck me you heard the crack as boot hit shinpad/leg and Lee grunt as he went down. Len just picked himself up out of the tangle and trotted back to his position for the throw whilst Lee lay on his back with all the wind gasping out of his mouth as fog. All the Blases in the BLLT went 'Ooooof!' simultaneously.

I hit someone with a similar tackle playing Sunday League once in Portsmouth and I thought I'd crippled the cunt. I stood up with the ball whilst the opposition players were screaming 'REF!' and laid it off and the ref simply said, 'Play on … good tackle … '

Was it fuck.

pommpey

Ian Ure never played for Man U against us. He joined them in 1969 after Mallender left us.

Was the match you thinking of in Boxing Day 1966?
http://www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/match_data/match_sql.php?my_match_date=1966-12-26

Not sure when the match was played but looking at that link I'm pretty sure it was Bobby Noble who fouled Woody. Could have sworn Mallenders standoff was with Ian Ure but it was a long time ago and I must be mistaken. Maybe it was David Sadler, whoever it was they were taller than Ken. having said which I'm taller than him and I'm only 6 foot which used to be reasonably tall but is looking shorter by the year! :)

May i start with....centre forward.....Bashing Billy Whitehurst!View attachment 53917
He would be the Skipper. No-one more sound than him.

Back
Top Bottom