Ex Blades who deserve respect

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

silverfox

Reaction score
I'll start with Peter Beagrie.

Frustrating at his time at the Lane but so talented.

Went on to have a long career even becoming a legend at Scunthorpe!

Talks more sense than most on Sky and not up his own arse!

I think he's a good guy!

Next...........

I agree at Beagrie and I nominate Andy Scott, doing an excellent job at Brentford.

I agree at Beagrie and I nominate Andy Scott, doing an excellent job at Brentford.

And showed great fortitude to bounce back after his health problems. Would also agree with Beagrie, probably the best pundit around and shows he knows about the players he is talking about and how they are playing. Not like Claridge who saw one surging run from Harper in 4 minutes of highlights on Saturday and surmised that he was getting back to his best.

I think he's a good guy!

Next...........

Peter Beagrie reminds me of a cross between Ant & Dec and the bloke who does the weather on look north.

great thread. beags' is the top banana on sky at the mo and andy scott well yes hes done brill, hows about mr vincent jones showing all the 'z' list celebs how to go on and kicking their arses on celeb big bro? now that is respect!!

Andy Scott and Beagrie are great calls. I'd like to mention Charlie Hartfield (signed him on once) and Bradders for simply getting on with life and being normal blokes despite having both played in the top flight.

Both are truly down to earth guys with no pretensions, but also had the decency not to become pub landlords! That said Mitchum and Gagey were always good lads too!

Dane Whitehouse - an antithesis of the current yobbish, Cristal quaffing, self-publicising, egotistical, self-serving, disloyal, money grabbing, flash, "me me me" posing tossers that are rife in the game.

A true Blades legend.

I think it would be astonishingly hard to disagree with that.

Agreed completely. I still call Ainsworth a twat whenever I see him on tv. What an utter twat!

So do I. I remember "that" tackle vividly at Port Vale. Even Deano ran half the length of the pitch to have a go after.

SF, I presume you're not limiting this to players so I'm gonna nominate Dave Bassett.

Agreed completely. I still call Ainsworth a twat whenever I see him on tv. What an utter twat!

I suppose this might be Darren's arena, but I'm sure that he's never played against us (certainly not at The Lane) since the fabled tete-a-tete with Whitehouse senior. I imagine there's blokes who've waited 13 years to vent their anger at him.

I was hoping it would come at the Lane in the cup match - there's nothing like a small crowd to make every syllable of every insult and threat reach it's desired target.

I shall await correction on my inaccuracies.

I think he's a good guy!

Next...........

I agree with you 100% about Beagrie. I bumped into him on Saturday and had a brief chat. A really nice guy and totally unaffected. We reminisced about the two thunderbolts he scored against Hull City on Boxing Day 1986 ("I've still got the video" he said) and had a chuckle about the moustache he wore at the time "It was dreadful - and I thought I looked so cool". He left me in no doubt that he was rooting for the Blades, though I'm sure his Sky reports would have been fair and unbiased as always. Top man - he deserves to go far in the media business.

I suppose this might be Darren's arena, but I'm sure that he's never played against us (certainly not at The Lane) since the fabled tete-a-tete with Whitehouse senior. I imagine there's blokes who've waited 13 years to vent their anger at him.

I checked this, and was surprised to discover that Ainsworth has played against United on several occasions since he injured Whitehouse.

In 1997-8, he of course played in the game at the Lane when Dane's Dad went after him

In 1998-9, Port Vale sold him to Wimbledon 2 days before we played them in the league for the first time, so we missed him.

In 2000-1, he played against us when Wimbledon won 1-0 at the Lane in April

He next played against us on Boxing Day 2002 when he was at Loan to Walsall and we won 1-0 there.

He then signed for QPR, and came on as a sub for the last 15 minutes of their 2-0 win at the Lane in the League Cup in early 2003-4

He missed both games QPR had against us in 2004-5 after their promotion, but played against us when we lost 2-1 at Loftus Road in early 2005-6. He missed the return game - he may have been suspended.

In 2007-8, he missed both QPR games against us - he was not in the side for most of January and February which is when the games took place. He did not play at all last season and has only played for QPR twice this year, and not against us.

To sum up, since Ainsworth did Whitehouse he's played against us 5 times, twice at the Lane, but we haven't seen him for 4 years and I suspect he's winding down his career now.

I agree with you 100% about Beagrie. I bumped into him on Saturday and had a brief chat. A really nice guy and totally unaffected. We reminisced about the two thunderbolts he scored against Hull City on Boxing Day 1986 ("I've still got the video" he said) and had a chuckle about the moustache he wore at the time "It was dreadful - and I thought I looked so cool". He left me in no doubt that he was rooting for the Blades, though I'm sure his Sky reports would have been fair and unbiased as always. Top man - he deserves to go far in the media business.

I remember meeting Beags at the launch of the Blades Revival at Roxys (remember that). This big fella had got him pinned against a wall and was saying things like "Peter Beagrie, you are fucking brilliant!":D Beags looked like he was shitting himself!!

I also remember going to the Lane to watch him play for the U-21s (I think, or was it England B?)

I remember meeting Beags at the launch of the Blades Revival at Roxys (remember that). This big fella had got him pinned against a wall and was saying things like "Peter Beagrie, you are fucking brilliant!":D Beags looked like he was shitting himself!!

I met him too that day, tasche an all, we asked him to do a backflip, he declined, really approachable even back then

I also remember going to the Lane to watch him play for the U-21s (I think, or was it England B?)

I went to Roxy's and tat game. I can't remember if it was u21 or a b game either.
Back on subject, somebodys got to mention Neil Warnock. Like him or loathe him, the mans a Blade who got us up.

A completely random one for you John Francis just for his goal against Brighton still the best diving header i've ever seen.

Just getting back to Beagrie, I was at the game so I got the video of Blades versus Hull city 26th dec 1986. We won 4-2 and Beagrie scored two belters of similar class. One of the goals starts with Beagrie collecting the ball just inside our own half over by the old John street stand and runs towards the kop jinking past hull players. He then lashes the ball in from imo 30 yds!
His other goal was nearly as good.
Dempsey and daws scored the other two I think.
I was one of the 11,000 faithfull. :thumbup:

Just getting back to Beagrie, I was at the game so I got the video of Blades versus Hull city 26th dec 1986. We won 4-2 and Beagrie scored two belters of similar class. One of the goals starts with Beagrie collecting the ball just inside our own half over by the old John street stand and runs towards the kop jinking past hull players. He then lashes the ball in from imo 30 yds!
His other goal was nearly as good.
Dempsey and daws scored the other two I think.
I was one of the 11,000 faithfull. :thumbup:

Thats jogged my memory.

Two suggestions from my generation:

1. Alan Kelly - finest Blades keeper in the last 30 years (and we've had some good 'uns) - always speaks sense and seemed a good pro

2. Glyn Hodges - he was a fantastic player for the Blades in the early 90's and arguably helped keep us up in our first season in the Prem. He might not have been everyone's cup of tea, but he had a touch of class which was a cut above the rest.

LEGENDS

Pesch :cool:

I was hoping it would come at the Lane in the cup match - there's nothing like a small crowd to make every syllable of every insult and threat reach it's desired target.

I shall await correction on my inaccuracies.
He's played against us quite a number of times since. I've only been going to The Lane regularly for 9 years and I remember him playing quite a few times. He's definitely played at The Lane on more than one occasion.

There's just no excuse.

Methinks the man doth protest too much. Methinks TA hath a veritable wardrobe of the glittery spandex and the footwear that extendeth the man towards the heavens. Ye, he doth clad himself in said garments and parade and spin before the looking glass with face adorned with many colours like a lady, extoling all to 'cum on feel the noize' and he doth long for the facial additions of the great warrior of the faith, crying into the night, 'I wish I had bugger grips like Noddy!' :D

Back
Top Bottom