Everyone's favourite, Gareth Ainsworth...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was at at port vale that day ,I think we won 2-3 Nathan Blake hatrick? I'm sure it was the day Micheal Hutchence died ......
Don't think Blake played. I went 4 seasons in a row two 0.0 draws and and two 3.2 wins. I'm sure this was a 0.0.
Dean saunders scored the winner once with a header

Bournemouth a big, historic football club? And Burnley are historic but not big. We are both, obviously.
Some may even say massi... no I seriously can't even bring myself to say it.

I think I was at both games ....my memory is not as sharp as yours silent ,cheers for the correction.
I was at both too...proper horrible club Port Vale with a bigger number of wanna be hooligans than virtually any lower league club

Blake had been sold during the Kendall reign, Whitehouse injury was during the Spackman season. I am sure the Blake match was the end of a scoreless run of around 10 matches.

I think I was at both games ....my memory is not as sharp as yours silent ,cheers for the correction.
According to Wikipedia, Michael Hutchence died 22 November 1997 so it sounds like it may well have been the same day as Whitehouse's injury.

Back to Ainsworth, piece in the Guardian on him yesterday. Asked the question 'are Wycombe the only club in recent history to be promoted from the third tier to the second tier without paying a transfer fee for any player' ? Just shows what he's done there. Can't stand the bloke but he will be at a bigger team before too long.

Wilder has spoken well of him in the past, and while not at the club when the infamous challenge on Whitehouse happened he would have obviously have seen the immediate aftermath on Whitehouse’s career with him recovering when he rejoined. Is the animosity now just limited to us as fans?

I think it's one of those "legendary" moments in our history that is forever remembered and is passed from one generation of fan to the next.

For what it's worth (and however unpopular an opinion it might be) I never thought the challenge was anything other than a genuine 50/50 (my recollection is someone passing the ball across to Dane and selling him short) that didn't even result in a booking. I think the Whitehouse family animosity was more stoked by Ainsworth not visiting Dane after the event rather than the actual incident.
That's not to say I like the bloke in any way but I think this tackle isn't deserving of the folklore/hatred it receives.

According to Wikipedia, Michael Hutchence died 22 November 1997 so it sounds like it may well have been the same day as Whitehouse's injury.

I reckon it was seeing the news of Whitehouse’s injury on teletext that pushed him over the edge.

I think it's one of those "legendary" moments in our history that is forever remembered and is passed from one generation of fan to the next.

For what it's worth (and however unpopular an opinion it might be) I never thought the challenge was anything other than a genuine 50/50 (my recollection is someone passing the ball across to Dane and selling him short) that didn't even result in a booking. I think the Whitehouse family animosity was more stoked by Ainsworth not visiting Dane after the event rather than the actual incident.
That's not to say I like the bloke in any way but I think this tackle isn't deserving of the folklore/hatred it receives.

Well mine is more for the lack of remorse afterwards rather than the tackle itself, which you correctly describe as a 50/50 that went horribly wrong.

Sorry, once someone is in my Cunts Book they tend to stay there.

I've never actually seen the tackle and I wasn't old enough to remember it happening at the time (I'm not an old twat, you see). I can confirm though, that this hatred of him seems to be passed down from other Blades. It's almost unanimous.

The only thing I can really relate it to was the Sordell challenge on Coutts and even though that didn't end his career, I think it's certainly affected it. I think Sordell was a bit of a twat for doing it, more because it was a lazy challenge. I'm not too sure what the aftermath was between the two so I can't really comment on that but I think even then I dont think I'd have the same animosity towards him as some do for Ainsworth.

I probably dont really appreciate how well Dane Whitehouse was thought of at United, mainly because I don't remember him playing but if I imagine it happening to someone like Billy Sharp then it kind of begins to make sense.

When I'm told someone is a twat because of something that happened that I can't remember, I usually dismiss it and make my own judgement but the odd thing is with Ainsworth, I find that really difficult simply because how unanimous the opinion of him is amongst Blades fans.

Back
Top Bottom