Evening, all

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Other Foot

President of the Ugandan Hibs Club
Reaction score
Evening folks. Ugandan-based, Scottish, Hibs fan here(!), always had a soft spot for the Blades, which has only grown since I've been in Africa, surrounded by thousands upon thousands of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal fans. Bit of spare time on my hands now, so thought I'd start schooling myself on all things United. Will be back in the UK next summer, so will hopefully be able to get myself and a couple friends down for games now and again. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum :)

Evening folks. Ugandan-based, Scottish, Hibs fan here(!), always had a soft spot for the Blades, which has only grown since I've been in Africa, surrounded by thousands upon thousands of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal fans. Bit of spare time on my hands now, so thought I'd start schooling myself on all things United. Will be back in the UK next summer, so will hopefully be able to get myself and a couple friends down for games now and again. Cheers!

46571-27244.gif

Oh aye? Fantastic :D How did this begin?

The story is long and tortuous, but I go up fairy regularly, accompanied on various occasions by at least half a dozen top forum members and Bladesway.

Oh aye? Fantastic :D How did this begin?

My heart was broken, my heart was broken, sorrow, sorrow, sorrow.

For me it began 20 years ago, I had no particular allegiance to any Scottish club, then I read a couple of Irvine Welsh books and began following the Hi-Bees

The story is long and tortuous, but I go up fairy regularly, accompanied on various occasions by at least half a dozen top forum members and Bladesway.

My heart was broken, my heart was broken, sorrow, sorrow, sorrow.

For me it began 20 years ago, I had no particular allegiance to any Scottish club, then I read a couple of Irvine Welsh books and began following the Hi-Bees

Amazing, lads! My own interest in the Blades stems from a good mate of mine from Sheffield, who I met when he came up here for uni. Although not a big football fan himself, he came to a couple Hibs games and suggested to me that the Blades/Wednesday rivalry is a bit like the Hibs/Hearts rivalry: one team which is a bit more dull, family friendly (and perhaps a little more successful in recent years) vs. a right romantic, gritty, exciting club who - although not performing to their full potential - are definitely more interesting to support!

I should be back at the start of January, so please let me know when you are coming up for games and I'll get the first round!

Wouldnt be the worst signing given we're down Craid and Robertson, but if it's in anticipation of Allen's departure I'll be a bit miffed.

Liam Fontaine has signed on again :)

Do I get a prize for recognising the avatar pic without googling? Are you more of a fan than you were of Big Idi? I'm amazed how long Museveni has remained in charge.

I visited Kampala a few times over the years and 20 years ago, I had a customer who was kicked out in 1973, went to Canada and made his fortune there, then returned to do his little bit to help with the economic revival in the late 90s. It was still a basket case then, despite the fantastic crop growing climate. I haven't been for about ten years and I believe things have improved in the interim, I hope so.

Have they replaced any of the stolen traffic lights yet? :)

United are the only team for me, but I've always liked the 1977 Hibs away kit:

hibernian-1977-1978-alt-q.gif

It got a lot of exposure because the Hibees had just signed a sponsorship deal with Bukta (also the kit makers) and they weren't allowed to wear the home kits, which had "BUKTA" written across the shirt, during televised games due to BBC and ITV rules at the time. I also hear they'd signed this kid from Belfast the same season, forget his name, something like Gorge Vest. Think only hardcore Hibees have heard of him.

Welcome from a fellow newbie! Och aye, deep fried Mars bars and all that.

Back
Top Bottom