European qualification

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have you got something to support this? Nothing I’ve read actually confirms it. This is the closest but they’re saying we could have nine

I’m not convinced. Although UEFA seem to change the criteria frequently.

Well, after mouchin round house with a face as long as Dukes street yesterday I have to admit European football was the last thing on my mind.
And still is........ :tumbleweed:

That just says five teams are eligible for the CL. This confirmed at the time that a maximum of seven clubs from one country can play in Europe. This may have changed but I can’t find anything that clearly states it has changed and a country is now allowed more than seven.

That just says five teams are eligible for the CL. This confirmed at the time that a maximum of seven clubs from one country can play in Europe. This may have changed but I can’t find anything that clearly states it has changed and a country is now allowed more than seven.

I don't know, I saw this:

"Should a Premier League club win the UEFA Europa League they will automatically qualify for the group stage of next season's UEFA Champions League regardless of their league finishing position.

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification"

and assumed that they wouldn't take the 3 regular Europa League places (League, FA Cup, EFL Cup) away, but maybe they'd take the league one and give it to the next country along in the UEFA rankings.

We'd need a 180 degree turnaround in current form and every player would need to play AT Least twice as well as they are.

Big ask, not impossible, but highly improbable.

We'd need a 180 degree turnaround in current form and every player would need to play AT Least twice as well as they are.

Yep, this pretty much nails it.

One game at a time and let's see where we are.

Big ask yeah, just surprised me when I saw how far down the league the qualification places will extend this year.

I think we don't get an extra slot in that case but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone know?
I thought it was that we receive 7 places. How they are cut between the tournaments depends on our teams' performances, but the total is set at 7.
So, assuming Man City are banned, if Wolves finish 6th but win the Europa Cup then we have 5 in the following seasons Champions League and we will have 3 for the Europa.
1.) League Cup Winner
2.) FA Cup Winner
3.) PL place to the highest placed team who hasn't already qualified for European Competition.

If the teams who claim 1.) or 2.) qualify for the Champions League additional spots are awarded under 3.) criteria.

<deep breath> Therefore we could qualify by finishing 8th, if Man City are banned AND the teams who win the two cups finish in the top 5.
So, in short I think the OP is correct.

AS YOU WERE!

Last edited:
It's about Arsenal because as long as they don't win the FA Cup, we'll need to finish 7th to get Europa League. We are currently 7th and Arsenal 8th so it becomes a case of staying above them until the end of the season to qualify.

Thinking it isn't going to happen is fine. I'd personally agree given how we've restarted, but suggesting we should just give up when in all likelihood all we've got to do is match a team we've been above all season is exceptionally defeatest.

I didn't suggest we give up but there's a number of teams who could overtake us, not just Arsenal.

An English team from outside the top four winning the Europa League will get a Champions League place. However, if that happens, the Europa League places would be decreased by one (to just two). In normal circumstances, you must finish 7th or higher to get to Europe via league position. The Manchester City ban complication means that might fall to 8th. No team can finish 9th & qualify for Europe. Screenshot from the UEFA regs...
Screenshot_20200629-151852_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

An English team from outside the top four winning the Europa League will get a Champions League place. However, if that happens, the Europa League places would be decreased by one (to just two). In normal circumstances, you must finish 7th or higher to get to Europe via league position. The Manchester City ban complication means that might fall to 8th. No team can finish 9th & qualify for Europe. Screenshot from the UEFA regs...
View attachment 84160
Just bumping this again.

Lowest position we can mathematically finish 14th.
Can't see us getting 5th so we're fighting for 6/7th (maybe 8th) with 4 others.
Blades, Wolves, Arsenal, Burnley, Spurs -first team to drop 6 pts is out!

We need to finish above Arsenal and Spurs. If we do that, we'll make Europe 🤞.

If we can somehow beat Chelsea this weekend, we have a right chance. Arsenal play Spurs this weekend.

The run in..

Arsenal
Spurs (a)
Liverpool (h)
Villa (a)
Watford (h)

Spurs
Bournemouth (a)
Arsenal (h)
Newcastle (a)
Leicester (h)
Palace (a)

Wolves
Everton (h)
Burnley (a)
Palace (h)
Chelsea (a)

Blades
Chelsea (h)
Leicester (a)
Everton (h)
Southampton (a)

We need to finish above Arsenal and Spurs. If we do that, we'll make Europe 🤞

Bournemouth need to find some belief from somewhere so they can do us a favour tonight. They played some alright stuff against Man U at times.

Spurs just need to defend the way they did against us.

With a bit of luck, Everton and Southampton won't have anything to play for anymore when we play them. Getting 6 points in those 2 games would be huge. That being said, overall we have the toughest schedule of all teams playing for European football, so it's still all on us.

The way we played against Spurs & Wolves gives hope, but Chelsea is really the big test. They are improving every game, so taking 1 or 3 points there would be amazing.

Lowest position we can mathematically finish 14th.
Can't see us getting 5th so we're fighting for 6/7th (maybe 8th) with 4 others.
Blades, Wolves, Arsenal, Burnley, Spurs -first team to drop 6 pts is out!

It's permutations time I think. Say we nicked a draw off Chelsea or Leicester and beat Everton and Southampton, that leaves us on 58 points. That's no small task but it's not unrealistic.

Arsenal would then need 9 points out of Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Villa, Watford. The last six of those points are about as easy as things get with the usual teams fighting for their lives caveat. Two of those games could be a write off if they're still in the mood to play. Spurs on Sunday is a huge game.

Burnley would need 9 points and a ten goal swing, so really 10 points from Liverpool, Wolves, Norwich, Brighton. Never say never but that's almost enough to rule them out if we do our job.

Spurs would need 10 points and not to lose a six goal wing from Bournemouth, Arsenal, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace.

Meanwhile, just above us, a point and 6 goals better off, Wolves have got Everton, Burnley, Palace, Chelsea.

Long and short of it is if we do our job then finishing in 7th seems likely with a chance to nick 6th.

Let's just take a minute. It's daft innit?? Bash and Billy playing against AC Milan. It's never been as good.

I know everyone's been locked away a while, but this is why folk were saying the whining a couple of weeks ago was daft...nobody was denying anyone their say, it's just they've got a bit more credit in the bank than to jump on them, we're in a bloody dream here, soak it up.

Spot on, except Arsenal could finish 9th and qualify if they win the FA CUP, or Wolves if they finish 9th and win the Europa League - I'm not being pedantic here or trying to be clever and I understand your comment, which is true - but they are genuinely two scenarios that are possible - where a 'Cup Winning Place' is taken by a side that fails to finish in a League position in which they qualify for Europe. Chelsea / Man Utd and Man City (the other teams who might win a Cup) are unlikely to slip into 9th! Arsenal and Wolves can win a cup and it's possible they could finish lower than us.

Also right that a maximum of 7 teams to qualify. That's generally the League positions 1st-7th (8th*). Then, for every Cup won by a team below that, knock a place off. If both Wolves and Arsenal do win a Cup each and finish lower than 7th - that knocks TWO League places off meaning the Teams finishing 1st-5th (6th*) will qualify for Europe.

So, to tie up any loose ends it's probably a good thing if Arsenal don't win the FA Cup and Wolves don't win the Europa League. That will then make qualification based solely on League position - 1st-7th (8th*).

*8th/6th if Man City are banned.

I think we have a good shot - probably our best chance to play in Europe is this year.

All the teams have a mixed run in, looking at the teams wolves have to play and their recent form you could conclude that they are draws written all over them. Arsenals last 2 games look won already Villa may already be relegated and Watford will have nothing to play for. Spurs could do anything, smash each other’s heads in, smash Bournemouth and Newcastles heads in or defend like their wearing other people’s heads. I think to realistically get into the European spots we need 7/8 points. tough task. #fuckinwinemallublades.

So, to tie up any loose ends it's probably a good thing if Arsenal don't win the FA Cup and Wolves don't win the Europa League. That will then make qualification based solely on League position - 1st-7th (8th*).
Either scenario is unlikely (but worth bearing in mind) can't see Arsenal (lucky to scrape past United) beating City and then probably Man U. Wolves I feel will still finish above us but will probably have to face Man U sometime in the Europa League. On current form I can see Man U doing the rare double of FA Cup/Europa Cup.

Reactions: HVR

Back
Top Bottom