Incoming? Erm... Jack Rodwell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd be open to this. Finding competition for Basham is a very risky proposition for us. I could be showing a lack of knowledge here but off the top of my head I can't think of any realistic central defenders I'd feel comfortable spending a sizeable fee on for that RCB position. Anyone we sign to play there will need time to adapt, as the way we utilise that position is so unique.

With Rodwell, if you break down the basic strengths of his game he should fit that RCB role well. He's mobile, strong in the tackle and had a good motor from what I remember. He could carry the ball & wasn't bad technically either. Granted I'm basing this off a number of years ago as I didn't see much of his Blackburn spell, but I'd trust Wilder to be able to evaluate where he's at physically.

If we do sign him, all I'll say is remember Basham's performances before Wilder came in. No-one would've thought he'd make this position his own back then, and in the Premier League at that.

This has the potential to be another Rav type situation where he signs and is rarely seen again, but I'd say it's worth the risk if Wilder and the staff have been watching his recent tapes and have positively assessed his suitability for RCB in our system. I can definitely see the thinking behind it.
nor do I, but given that Martin Cranie did a pretty good job last season, it can't be that hard can it?

Back
Top Bottom