Player Suggestion Emiliano Buendia

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CentralQuay

Reaction score
Can see a lot of sides in this league after him when Norwich get the official 'R'.

Sort of signing which should be looked at.
Adds to the first team and is proven at this level.

7 assists this season, and quite surprisingly for an offensive midfielder, the 13th most tackles in the league.

Leeds reportedly after him.

I do like him but I'm not too fussed. Wouldn't fit in the system here, I'd rather have Jed Wallace.

Leeds reportedly after him.

I do like him but I'm not too fussed. Wouldn't fit in the system here, I'd rather have Jed Wallace.

If CW finds his balls again and goes back to playing with a 10 then he'd be perfect but I'm not sure that will happen.

If we were to revert to our formation from the last few years then we'd probably need a better CDM than Norwood or (on current showings) Berge.

If CW finds his balls again and goes back to playing with a 10 then he'd be perfect but I'm not sure that will happen.

If we were to revert to our formation from the last few years then we'd probably need a better CDM than Norwood or (on current showings) Berge.

If CW finds his balls again?

You do realise the system we have played this season has resulted in us being in the top half of the league, with 7 games to go?

If CW finds his balls again?

You do realise the system we have played this season has resulted in us being in the top half of the league, with 7 games to go?

It was a tongue in cheek remark. Should really have put an emoji in or something.

I totally get why he went with a flat 3 in the beginning but I do feel at times though against the poorer teams we should have gone with a 10 to perhaps add to the goal difference.

• Banned
His stats don't suggest he's a pure number 10.

Tackles

71 - Buendia

58 - Norwood
44 - Lundstram
34 - Fleck

Assists

7 - Buendia

0 - Norwood
3 - Lundstram
2 - Fleck

Touches

2038 - Buendia

2188 - Norwood
1462 - Lundstram
1408 - Fleck

He's clearly not just a 'number 10' with those stats. Specifically the tackles and touches.
Of course stats are not everything.....
But his game is more well rounded than most think.

I'd use those impressive tackling stats to suggest he's a player who could really make it work for us if we reverted to a number 10.

At Norwich he's played as an attacking right winger, with freedom to roam. A lot of his tackles will have been made higher up the pitch, not necessarily in the areas and situations our CMs win their tackles. Also, his game involves a lot of risk, which would make him an unlikely option at RCM for us.

If he's someone who'll work hard and regularly win the ball high up the pitch, he's the most viable way we can return to our previous formation.

An additional plus for us is that he favours the right, which is the side we need most creative help. He could play as a 10 with a right side bias.

Very good player albeit somewhat mardy at times. The numbers being bandied around these parts though suggest he’s going absolutely nowhere for less than £40mil. If we could afford that I’d have him, I’m not really sure what his best position is though. Very much a ball winning midfielder with good vision.

Very good player albeit somewhat mardy at times. The numbers being bandied around these parts though suggest he’s going absolutely nowhere for less than £40mil. If we could afford that I’d have him, I’m not really sure what his best position is though. Very much a ball winning midfielder with good vision.
Not a chance in hell that Norwich can demand £40m for him when they go down and i would be very surprised if they weren’t forced to accept less than half of that figure.

Not a chance in hell that Norwich can demand £40m for him when they go down and i would be very surprised if they weren’t forced to accept less than half of that figure.
They don’t need to sell though, apparently, so unless he kicks off then it will have to be a big offer to take him away. Simple economics really, don’t need to sell = much higher offers. Unless you go by the name of McCabe of course... 👀

They didn't spend anything when they came up, and now have 12 months PL TV money and the future parachute payments.

They may decide to accept a lower fee because they could sign an extra 2-3 players who will improve them more than him, but can't see why they would be forced to sell anyone.

Would be a fantastic signing for Leeds in the Prem next year.

Great technical ability and high work rate, can be a gamebreaker. Especially in a side like Leeds who'll be gunning high like us & Wolves have.

Bit like a Mark Duffy kind of player.

Perfect replacement for Hernandez at Leeds. Would be wasted at Utd and would struggle to get any game time

You really think that?

Yep, I just don't see where he'd fit into (or get into) Utd's side playing CWAK's preferred formation - he can't play up front and I don't think he's either physical or disciplined enough to play RCM.

Assuming you think otherwise, where do you see him playing in Utd's side - please don't say in the Duffy role - that's not been used in over a year.

Yep, I just don't see where he'd fit into (or get into) Utd's side playing CWAK's preferred formation - he can't play up front and I don't think he's either physical or disciplined enough to play RCM.

Assuming you think otherwise, where do you see him playing in Utd's side - please don't say in the Duffy role - that's not been used in over a year.

His tackling stats suggests he's perfectly capable of playing RCM. Watching the game today, he wasn't playing as a pure 10, he was doing everything. Getting behind the ball, counter pressing, tackling, breaking through challenges, picking up pockets of space between the opposing midfield and defence.

If you play with a back 5 and still require the 3 in midfield to be anchors with no freedom then that tells me the back 5 is not doing its job.

Buendia is a progressive signing.

His tackling stats suggests he's perfectly capable of playing RCM. Watching the game today, he wasn't playing as a pure 10, he was doing everything. Getting behind the ball, counter pressing, tackling, breaking through challenges, picking up pockets of space between the opposing midfield and defence.

If you play with a back 5 and still require the 3 in midfield to be anchors with no freedom then that tells me the back 5 is not doing its job.

Buendia is a progressive signing.

I take and agree with your point about the limitations of playing with 3 anchors but also understands CWAK's desire to be solid, albeit at the cost of creativity and links to the front two, who as a result, tend to become isolated, leading to more direct balls and turnover of possession.

However, with Norwood in the side I think it would be dangerous to move away from it due to his lack of physicality and the risk of becoming overrun in midfield. Berge would certainly address one of those issues but I'm not yet convinced he's dynamic enough.

If that works and allows a more creative and attacking player at RCM then great. If not, do CWAK need to revert to playing two pivots with one in front? If so, who? It would come more naturally to Lundstram but they'd both be right-footers and what would you do with Fleck?

In reality, I'm expecting CWAK to stick with the flatter three next season but with Berge playing more time centrally at the expense of Norwood, Fleck on the left and a new signing at RCM. In time, like you, I'd like to see a player in the Buendia mould (e.g. someone like Pizzi who is miles ahead of Buendia but (without looking it up) must be approaching 30) there to add more going forward but suspect the next step in Utd's progression will be someone like Hendrick, a solid, hard worker that adds the odd bit of creativity, although personally, I'm not sure he'll add any more than Lundstram

I thought he looked like a liability when they played at Bramall Lane.

Good on the ball; goes missing when the opposition have it.

I take and agree with your point about the limitations of playing with 3 anchors ... However, with Norwood in the side I think it would be dangerous to move away from it due to his lack of physicality and the risk of becoming overrun in midfield.

Norwood‘s defensive contribution is actually pretty good, statistically.

As of a week ago, he was 3rd best in the squad for tackles, 3rd best for blocks, 3rd best for interceptions, 6th best for clearances, 6th best for aerial battles won.

Also, 13th best in Prem for interceptions by a midfielder, 15th in Prem for tackles by a midfielder.

We don't have the money for Buendia. The budget was always going to be slim with the owners needing to use club money to buy the assets, then covid came along & now our dip in form is likely to cost us millions in our finishing position.

We will be very much looking at improvoing the players we already have, loans & frees. Will probably sell players on the fringes too - L Freeman, C Robinson & probably Lundstram to avoid losing him on a free.

We don't have the money for Buendia. The budget was always going to be slim with the owners needing to use club money to buy the assets, then covid came along & now our dip in form is likely to cost us millions in our finishing position.

We will be very much looking at improvoing the players we already have, loans & frees. Will probably sell players on the fringes too - L Freeman, C Robinson & probably Lundstram to avoid losing him on a free.

Why has Lundstram not signed a new deal?

Does he really think he can get a better deal at another club?

Back
Top Bottom