Dwight Gayle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you look at his goals per minutes played he was the best in the division I think.

Are you his agent?

If only. ;)

Don't get me wrong, i've suggested his name previously and thought he'd be a decent signing. But Newcastle are now asking £20m for him. As of last week, that info is in the public domain, so the conversation ends in my humble opinion.

I wouldn't bring Gayle in as the main striker signing so therefore he's probably not viable.

I'd rather invest in younger attacking players in addition to someone like McBurnie.

Regarding Gayle's character though, this is interesting from Chris Brunt. It shows how fans can easily get the wrong impression about a player. It sounds like he'd be a great fit for us.

But in an end-of-season interview with Albion’s Former Players’ Association, he revealed that Gayle was the best loan signing during his spell at the club.

“Dwight came in and gave everyone a lift around the place,” said Brunt. “He’s a really good lad and a character as well.

“I have been at this football club a long time, and I’ll put it out there, he has been the best loan signing at the football club in my time, not just for goals and performances on the pitch, but also for the way he has conducted himself off of it.

“He got himself involved with everybody, everyone got on with him, he trained properly and he dragged the best out of a lot of people. In training he is so competitive.

“He is just one of those people who just wants to win.

"It doesn’t matter if it’s a daft game on the bus on an away trip, or whether it is a five a side in training, it’s just the way his personality was around the place. He is just different class!”

If only. ;)

Don't get me wrong, i've suggested his name previously and thought he'd be a decent signing. But Newcastle are now asking £20m for him. As of last week, that info is in the public domain, so the conversation ends in my humble opinion.

I don't believe that price. It's a well known fact the players we want cost £15m.

I don't believe that price. It's a well known fact the players we want cost £15m.

Only time will tell.

£20m has been widely quoted in the press, and it's about the going rate for a player with a scoring record like Gayle.

If you honestly think we're going to buy one £15m player let alone 'players', I fear that you'll be sadly disappointed.

Only time will tell.

£20m has been widely quoted in the press, and it's about the going rate for a player with a scoring record like Gayle.

If you honestly think we're going to buy one £15m player let alone 'players', I fear that you'll be sadly disappointed.

Being a Blade for 40 years nothing really disappoints me anymore.

Wilder says the transfer record will be broken several times this summer, this could mean anything at this stage. I think we'll do some good business in the next few weeks that may surprise a few.

We will probably have to spend £15-£20 million on at least 1 striker eg McBurnie,Gayle,Maupay,Roofe

Being a Blade for 40 years nothing really disappoints me anymore.

Wilder says the transfer record will be broken several times this summer, this could mean anything at this stage. I think we'll do some good business in the next few weeks that may surprise a few.

I should hope so. What's our current transfer record? Depending on the sources either Jon Egan at £4.05m or James Beattie at £3.5m. I'm not 100% whether that's day one upfront or after add ons, etc. League One Sunderland paid £4.1m for Will Grigg last season, it's hardly a great claim as we're starting at a relatively low bench mark by today's standards.

Dwight Gayle is currently on £55k a week. We couldn't afford that either.

If we do sign players for a fee, i suspect that they'll be priced at between £5m to £7.5m, who will be happy on circa £30k a week, who CW sees as having untapped potential. We might even push the boat out to £10m. I suspect that we may try and engineer deals with healthy add ons dependant on staying up.

Last edited:

I wouldn't bring Gayle in as the main striker signing so therefore he's probably not viable.

I'd rather invest in younger attacking players in addition to someone like McBurnie.

Regarding Gayle's character though, this is interesting from Chris Brunt. It shows how fans can easily get the wrong impression about a player. It sounds like he'd be a great fit for us.

But in an end-of-season interview with Albion’s Former Players’ Association, he revealed that Gayle was the best loan signing during his spell at the club.

“Dwight came in and gave everyone a lift around the place,” said Brunt. “He’s a really good lad and a character as well.

“I have been at this football club a long time, and I’ll put it out there, he has been the best loan signing at the football club in my time, not just for goals and performances on the pitch, but also for the way he has conducted himself off of it.

“He got himself involved with everybody, everyone got on with him, he trained properly and he dragged the best out of a lot of people. In training he is so competitive.

“He is just one of those people who just wants to win.

"It doesn’t matter if it’s a daft game on the bus on an away trip, or whether it is a five a side in training, it’s just the way his personality was around the place. He is just different class!”

That’s convinced me. I want him. He’ll learn so much from Billy and be great for our squad. Would £8m be enough to get him? I’d pay that. Could be one of those where you can get him cheaper towards the end of the transfer window.

I'll not be surprised if our main transfer buys are only slightly north of what we paid for James Beattie.

That’s convinced me. I want him. He’ll learn so much from Billy and be great for our squad. Would £8m be enough to get him? I’d pay that. Could be one of those where you can get him cheaper towards the end of the transfer window.

I agree he'll end up being available cheaper because no one (surely?) will pay close to £20m.

I certainly wouldn't go over £10m. Get towards that territory and it could be spent better on younger players like Robinson, Rothwell and Marriott.

I think he's a top striker and if we could afford him I'd be delighted. One concern I have, and its not the usual one, is that he seems joyless, completely deadpan, even when he scores. It's a given that he has to fit in with a very tight squad, and that would worry me a bit, but then if Chris says it's OK with him, it's OK with me.

You know the saying “he’s got a face like a slapped arse”. I think that it fits Dwight Gale perfectly.
He’s never smiles and always seems to be permanently frowning. I suppose the lad can’t help it.

Mate who works at the Lane said he’s hearing this is a go. I would be very surprised

Dwight and Ravel tearing it up! If Wilder got them playing reyt then I'd forgive him for applying for the West Bromwich and Newcastle jobs.

I really hope it's not Gayle. Pushing 30, not a massive improvement on what we already have and will cost a small fortune (even if it's only on loan).

Would much prefer McBurnie.

On one hand Newcastle have reached peak basket case levels so could sell cheaper.

On the other hand that basket casery means they're more likely to struggle, will see us as a rival and not let him come to us.

It would be a more than justifiable use of a loan for us. There aren't many other outstanding loan options I can see now.

McBurnie then Gayle on loan instead of Maupay would leave us a good amount to spend, and allow us to spread that spend wider across the pitch.

If we were still in the Championship then I’d be all for it, but not in the Premier League. His record at the top level isn’t great at all. I’d much rather us push the boat out for McBurnie.

There's no chance in us signing BOTH Maupay & McBurnie in my opinion, and I'm starting to doubt we'll even sign one of them. So we are very likely going to have to settle for at least one other option and Gayle is possibly the best option after those two. I don't believe in the "he hasn't scored many in the Prem before so we shouldn't sign him" crap, Leon Clarke bagged 19 in the Championship for us other year, before that his highest scoring season in that league was just 8 goals. It just doesn't work out for some players at some clubs. He's clearly a good finisher, technically very good and if chances are presented to him he scores. Gayle on loan would be good business as far as I'm concerned, would allow us to spend more on players for other areas of the pitch to have good quality options all round.

Back
Top Bottom