CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

First off until I hear Wilder say it I’ll take it all with a pinch of salt. Secondly I would like to see him with us in and around the squad next season, however I certainly wouldn’t be giving him a new contract

I put him in just because he's been playing pre-season.

Slater and the other youth players don't count towards the 25 either so they're essentially free players that we can play if we wish too. This is why I was surprised that we let Eastwood out. Unless Dewhurst will be the third GK!?

I put him in just because he's been playing pre-season.

Slater and the other youth players don't count towards the 25 either so they're essentially free players that we can play if we wish too. This is why I was surprised that we let Eastwood out. Unless Dewhurst will be the third GK!?

Please everyone don't say Jags, it has been done to death & wasn't funny the first time.

A lot of those will, due to their age but Fleck, Baldock, Egan? Ridiculous.
It’s like they don’t understand the idea of replacing players with better ones. I suppose it’s a difficult concept to grasp if you’ve never seen it being done.
I'd take bannan over fleck, thornley over baldock and Joost over Egan every day of the week.

As for mcgoaldrought, lol, Steven fletcher every time.

I'd take bannan over fleck, thornley over baldock and Joost over Egan every day of the week.

As for mcgoaldrought, lol, Steven fletcher every time.
They’ll smash L1 with that lot.

Thing is, you can only name a 25 man squad in the PL so with Wilder saying 4 or 5 more (before Mousset) and what we currently have that is:

1. Signing 1
  2. Signing 2
  3. Signing 3
  4. Signing 4
  5. Baldock
  6. Stevens
  7. Fleck
  8. O'Connell
  9. Basham
  10. Lundstram
  11. Sharp
  12. Egan
  13. Norwood
  14. McGoldrick
  15. Freeman K.
  16. Stearman
  17. Bryan
  18. Moore
  19. Jagielka
  20. Freeman L.
  21. Morrison
  22. Robinson
  23. Mousset
Which leaves 2 spaces for Duffy, Clarke, Wright etc..
Understood but I can't imagine many new signings patient enough for a season as a 24 or 25 but perhaps Leon, Ched and Duffy would.

Duffy has already written himself into blades folklore no matter what happens😀⚔️.
I’ll be sad to see him go but there’s no room for sentiment in this league. He maybe a scouser but I like him😀. Don’t have too much time for the rest of them and I live and work amongst the twats!!. UTB ⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️

We need Sharp to stay..that's really not in question but we don't need Duffy anymore ...that's football. ...fk sentiment or earns the chance ...earns the chance doesn't get points ..simple really

He done his part ..time to move onwards and upwards

How many points should we drop to accommodate players who ‘deserve a chance?’ We’re not going to have many to spare are we?

Aye
We'd keep the same team / squad that got us up (from 3rd div)

And we'd have saved a fortune by not signing anyone

McCabe you profligate scatter-cash cunt

Were we to for whatever reason let Duffy go, his position in the squad would need filling. Given we’re likely going to be stretching our transfer kitty to the limit, it would seem a nonsense to in this window move him on. I can absolutely see us choosing not to provide a new contract at this stage given his age, and perhaps that’s where the story originated. But the part about openly looking to move him on, I don’t see it.

If all goes well with Freeman, Duffy won’t be as involved. But what if it doesn’t go as well for Freeman, or he has a period of adjustment to get used to our system? In that respect, perhaps think about Stearman in his first year – shaky start, injury, Wright came in from the cold and fitted the system like a glove. He didn’t start the season, or finish it, in the team, but he came in to settle us down and contributed well till Stearman was reinstated. That’s the sort of role that Duffy could add value in – being a reliable pair of hands to call on either in particular games off the bench or due to a need that unexpectedly springs up.

From his point of view, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t happy with that – it could be his last ever year with a possibility playing at this level, and if he wants to play more regularly I’m sure the options will still be there in a year’s time.

Hes still under contract so it is up to him weather he sticks around and fights for his place ,Wilder has given him the option.
That is good man management by Wilder!.

Indeed
In essence the decision is that MD will not be 'up to it' this time next season
Club being 'fair' to him & allowing him to plan (even) longer term

It's now over to the player to make a difficult'Stick or twist' decision

Demonstrate confidence in your own (considerable) skills / abilities to 'live the dream (especially Anfield)
Or
Safety first with (likely) no opportunity of top flight football

Tough decision but welcome to the 'real world'

Were we to for whatever reason let Duffy go, his position in the squad would need filling. Given we’re likely going to be stretching our transfer kitty to the limit, it would seem a nonsense to in this window move him on. I can absolutely see us choosing not to provide a new contract at this stage given his age, and perhaps that’s where the story originated. But the part about openly looking to move him on, I don’t see it.

If all goes well with Freeman, Duffy won’t be as involved. But what if it doesn’t go as well for Freeman, or he has a period of adjustment to get used to our system? In that respect, perhaps think about Stearman in his first year – shaky start, injury, Wright came in from the cold and fitted the system like a glove. He didn’t start the season, or finish it, in the team, but he came in to settle us down and contributed well till Stearman was reinstated. That’s the sort of role that Duffy could add value in – being a reliable pair of hands to call on either in particular games off the bench or due to a need that unexpectedly springs up.

From his point of view, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t happy with that – it could be his last ever year with a possibility playing at this level, and if he wants to play more regularly I’m sure the options will still be there in a year’s time.

Morrison came in to though and it seems that Wilder is impressed with him. I'd say his most likely position is behind the front two.

What I find odd is that we've apparently said to Duffy he's not getting a new contract. That seems odd because surely we would want to see how Duffy would do before any decision would be made there and also what division we'd be in. Also, even if we aren't going to give Duffy a contract then it doesn't mean he's now wanted now necessarily. All seems a bit hasty to me unless something's changed behind the scenes.

Very true, would expect he’s bought Freeman or possibly Morrison for that Freeman role
And we know that McGoldrick was surprisingly good/ creative link man when dropping deep, almost into midfield.
I am sure that the stats would prove whenever Duffy was substituted our possession suffers and we then have to hang on for the rest of the match.
We need to be sure we have a replacement, who can do the same job, before letting him leave the club.

Morrison came in to though and it seems that Wilder is impressed with him. I'd say his most likely position is behind the front two.

What I find odd is that we've apparently said to Duffy he's not getting a new contract. That seems odd because surely we would want to see how Duffy would do before any decision would be made there and also what division we'd be in. Also, even if we aren't going to give Duffy a contract then it doesn't mean he's now wanted now necessarily. All seems a bit hasty to me unless something's changed behind the scenes.

Maybe he’s pushed for a new contract?

Reckon we'll play with a midfield 3 more often than not and can see McGoldrick dropping deep more often than not too.

That seems odd because surely we would want to see how Duffy would do before any decision would be made there and also what division we'd be in. Also, even if we aren't going to give Duffy a contract then it doesn't mean he's now wanted now necessarily. All seems a bit hasty to me unless something's changed behind the scenes.

This is why I don’t find the scenario reported today likely. What I think is more likely, for those with deals expiring this season, is we’ll have said the contracts will be dealt with towards the end of the season. That’s basically what the case was with Sharp a year ago. In his instance a year’s extension was automatically triggered by number of games played, and then a longer deal was arranged.

As many more have mentioned before, when Duffy plays, and plays well, Sheffield United play and play better.
Yes, Duffy is getting onon a bit and it might well be that the Premier League proves a step too far due to the pace and physical demands in each game. However, let's not forget that there are few games with a less demanding run of games too (I.e. not nearly every Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday etc etc).
Think it would be a little foolish to not give him the opportunity OR at least see how the "others" fair in that similar role first.
Duffy stays.

We've got 3 potentials for that position, should we even play that formation , how big a squad do you think we can afford ffs

IMG_4046.JPG

Last edited:
I can only assume Duffy is a disruptive influence or a pain in the arse to manage? Because I can’t think of a footballing reason to let him go.

I’d wait and see how he performs tbh. But Wilder knows what he’s doing. And if he thinks it’s time for him to move on then I’ll respect that decision. But it’s still baffling!

I've only seen Bryan once. He was shocking in an admittedly all round abject performance against Barnet.
Is he worth keeping?
Interested in the views of others who've seen more of him at the levels he's represented us at.
As a city fan and an admirer of Sufc style of play and ethics of the club.i didn't see any part of that game against Barnet but I have seen kean play a lot from the age of 14years old. He originally played in midfield and was playing in the under 21s at the age of 16 Patrick Vieira played him at centre half dew to injuries in the squad and it's kind of stuck. The view that the city academy was if city hadn't come into money he would have played in the first team . I also seen him play a few games for Oldham and he was the best player on the park and before you say it was league 1 and a poor team at that I work with an Oldham fan and he reckons the fans at boundary park would tell you that if he hadn't of got injured with 8 games remaining in that season the majority of the fans all said they would have stayed up. I can't say for sure that you've got a premier league player but give the lad a chance and he will be some player for you that I am sure of

I probably didn’t make myself clear. I’m a huge fan of Duffy. He has magic in his boots. I’m not campaigning for us to get rid of him at all.

As you know from a previous conversation Loughborough I see him as a squad player, making a contribution but not being a regular starter. If that’s not acceptable to him and he wants to go elsewhere he would go with my gratitude and some indelible memories. We’ve had the best of him as a footballer, no doubt.

I draw the line at sentiment though. No player ‘deserves’ to play a single further minute for our club unless Tufty thinks he’s the right starter or right substitute for any given game. Anyone who thinks otherwise really isn’t taking the Premier League seriously.

Back
Top Bottom