CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do you have loads of Wendy mates, only you seem to have caught Porkius Deludamax?

The outbreaks of this tragically severe handicapping disease are always at the worst in the summer, just prior to the start of the season. If you find yourself saying 'Wednesday will piss the league this year', you really ought to seek help.

They should be in the top two given the squad they have.

Fuck, you might be right :-(

Given all the correct observations above
If Duffy is cancelling his contract by mutual consent
Are we saying that we are tweaking the system somewhat for next season
I personally agree that there is no
Guarantee that any of the new boys can play the number 10 the way that Duffy does
But I suppose if you are changing to 2 number tens or a different number 10 that requires more pace as opposed to pure footballing genius
Then maybe there is some legs to this rumour
This is true and it wasn’t a case he was unfit and could only play a limited amount of time last season, as the game got stretched and we were under pressure he was redundant in those games. This season we will need to break quickly and that was not something Duffy could do however good he is. The context has changed and so the players need to change/adapt and essentially Duffy can’t and I’d expect not for the want of trying, however much we love Duffy and recognise his contribution to the club we are no longer playing mediocre championship teams. Long live the bounce slayer but not in the premiership.

Wrong and right.....he was comfortable in the Championship but in our system.....before that, and arguably at his prime, (27/28) he couldn't get a game for Birmingham and was subsequently loaned out to L1 with Burton who weren't interested in him when they were promoted to the Championship and then he dropped to L1 again with us......accept that certain players peak later in their careers obviously
There style didn’t suit his game, they played him out wide.

Excuse my language: how the fuck are we writing players off before they've kicked a ball in anger in the Premier League?
McGoldrick and Fleck both have all the tool to play in the premier league, no questions asked. Duffy also falls into that bracket, my only question mark would be his stamina at 34, same goes for Billy.
Tactical

I can only assume Duffy is a disruptive influence or a pain in the arse to manage? Because I can’t think of a footballing reason to let him go.

I’d wait and see how he performs tbh. But Wilder knows what he’s doing. And if he thinks it’s time for him to move on then I’ll respect that decision. But it’s still baffling!
Nothing to do with disruption, it is tactical.

Duffy at his age will want another 2 year deal. He ain’t getting it here and I will be sad to see him go. I hope he goes to a team I don’t hate and I will go and watch him again next season. Will miss him 😍
He’d be brilliant for Leeds but I don’t want him to go there.

To be fair he was a right winger for the first 10yrs of his pro carreer.
Yes and that’s why most fans of other clubs didn’t see the player we did. Managers of other clubs played him in a role that didn’t exploit his talents. Pre wilder he would have been shit at the lane.

WE have had two promotions based around keeping the ball and having possession for long periods of time. In that regard, the role Duffy had was fed by lots and lots of possession and recycling, 2nd phase and quick transition.

The role could significantly change this coming season. We probably wont have the ball anywhere near as much, which will mean this position involves more running covering and quick movement forward in the transition phases of the game. In other words, the areas of the game that Duffy struggled with are going to become essential elements for anyone playing there this season. I'm not saying Duffy was a flat track bully, but the expectations of the role in the PL may be beyond the now 34 year old.

WE have had two promotions based around keeping the ball and having possession for long periods of time. In that regard, the role Duffy had was fed by lots and lots of possession and recycling, 2nd phase and quick transition.

The role could significantly change this coming season. We probably wont have the ball anywhere near as much, which will mean this position involves more running covering and quick movement forward in the transition phases of the game. In other words, the areas of the game that Duffy struggled with are going to become essential elements for anyone playing there this season. I'm not saying Duffy was a flat track bully, but the expectations of the role in the PL may be beyond the now 34 year old.

It could certainly be that pace will feature a lot more in CW's thoughts this year rather than keepball.....the signings of Morrison, Robinson and Mousett certainly point towards this......we have lacked pace for the past 3 years and it has been our main weak point and although skillful on the ball, Duffy was certainly not quick.

This greatly concerns me as Duffy has been the single, most important cog of what we’ve done since Wilder came in. It’s obvious Luke Freeman is a talented footballer but I’ve never seen anything from him that persuaded me he’s fit for the Prem. Obviously I hope I’m proved wrong there. I do really like Robinson and think he could play the Duffy role but we don’t really know if he will.

We also don’t know if Ravel will play there or sit deep. Or where his heads at yet.

You’d think that given Wilder’s previous signings as Duffy competition, he’d be more reluctant to let him go just yet.

It could certainly be that pace will feature a lot more in CW's thoughts this year rather than keepball.....the signings of Morrison, Robinson and Mousett certainly point towards this......we have lacked pace for the past 3 years and it has been our main weak point and although skillful on the ball, Duffy was certainly not quick.

Pace isn't so important, if you have the ball for the majority of the time. If you are pinned back and struggling to get out, pace is vital along with someone who can pass the ball (I believe it is now called a 'ping')

I think the reports are pure speculation based on the fact that we've brought in 3 new players that potentially could play that role and that Duffy has 1 year left and so far hasn't been offered a contract extension. I'm pretty sure that most contract extensions are usually handled part way through a season, but nevertheless I expect that Wilder will have sat down with a lot of the players to set out with them where they fit into (or not) his plans. I would imagine in Duffy's case, it will be squad player fighting for a place with players x, y and z. Nothing new there, particularly, apart from the quality of the competition is more than likely much higher. I can imagine it being up to the player, stay and compete for a place or we'll listen to offers and won't stand in your way if a suitable offer comes in which guarantees first team football. I would imagine at Duffy's age, the biggest dilemma for him is whether to accept an offer of regular football albeit in a lower league again or stay for the thrill and experience of (finally) playing in the Premier League, possibly against your boyhood club, even if it means a limited number of appearances.

I think the reports are pure speculation based on the fact that we've brought in 3 new players that potentially could play that role and that Duffy has 1 year left and so far hasn't been offered a contract extension. I'm pretty sure that most contract extensions are usually handled part way through a season, but nevertheless I expect that Wilder will have sat down with a lot of the players to set out with them where they fit into (or not) his plans. I would imagine in Duffy's case, it will be squad player fighting for a place with players x, y and z. Nothing new there, particularly, apart from the quality of the competition is more than likely much higher. I can imagine it being up to the player, stay and compete for a place or we'll listen to offers and won't stand in your way if a suitable offer comes in which guarantees first team football. I would imagine at Duffy's age, the biggest dilemma for him is whether to accept an offer of regular football albeit in a lower league again or stay for the thrill and experience of (finally) playing in the Premier League, possibly against your boyhood club, even if it means a limited number of appearances.
Didn't CW have a similar chat with Sharp last year, when Sunderland were sniffing around?
Billy chose to stick around at the Lane and put in a good shift last season?
Don't know Duffy's views and options available, but staying and fighting for his place in the Premier has to be something he will consider.

But gained a lot of admirers in the Champs, so someone will snatch him.

Duffy has struggled more last season with his engine not being more than a 1.2 litre than having a 3 litre hed need in the prem.
His touch is undeniable. And his vision will be hard to replace. We have to trust CW has that covered

Yes and that’s why most fans of other clubs didn’t see the player we did. Managers of other clubs played him in a role that didn’t exploit his talents. Pre wilder he would have been shit at the lane.
Took the genius of NC to play him in the hole at Burton. If you can't be good be lucky...?

It might be the one thing I've disagreed with you about. My point about Duffy is that we should act cautiously, at least until his supposed replacements show they have what it takes. Give MD six months, no more, and then we'll know who can cut the mustard and who is a failure.

No disagreement. He’s one of my favourite players and I’m happy for him to stay on, but on the understanding he’s unlikely to be a regular. That’s fine by me but unlikely to be fine by him. I certainly don’t agree with extending his contract at this stage or that he or anyone else has ‘earned a chance’ as I have seen suggested rather too often for my liking. #176 really best represents my views on this one.

No disagreement. He’s one of my favourite players and I’m happy for him to stay on, but on the understanding he’s unlikely to be a regular. That’s fine by me but unlikely to be fine by him. I certainly don’t agree with extending his contract at this stage or that he or anyone else has ‘earned a chance’ as I have seen suggested rather too often for my liking.

Agree with all of that. I can't help but recall the trio of Coutts, Duffy, and Fleck, about as good a threesome as I can recall for the Blades. They were majestic together, helping propel us towards our first promotion under Wilder, and were it not for that cruel injury to Coutts I'd have wagered that we'd have been in contention for promotion a season sooner. Still, all good things come to an end, and now we're watching as Wilder assembles a new set of Blades, but this time competing at the highest level. Should tell all of us a lot about this club, the capabilities of the players, and whether we've been good enough at the end of the season.

Re. your comments about Duffy, yes, given who Wilder has already signed, it was clear that Duffy's legs weren't quite up to the job for a full 90 minutes in the Championship. It's little wonder that at 33-years-old the prospect of a new contract was never likely to happen. No doubt MD will have suitors from lower divisions. He's still got the talent to be an effective contributor for a team willing to see what he can do. and no doubt Wilder would provide a first rate reference were it needed.

I've had time to reflect since yesterday. I was of the mind, probably emotionally, that he should be given another year. I now would agree with those who think the club, well, Chris was in the right.

Duffs - don't be daft. Stick around and fight for your place like you have for 2 and a half seasons. You're 34 and expecting a 2 year deal at your age is a big commitment from any club, you'll have to take a big wage cut for that sort of security in the Championship so you're better off toughing it out here. Earn your place in the squad, show you can still do it and then you'll get another year on Premier League wages.

Even if he doesn't get another year on PL wages, if he stays and fights for his place he's got a decent chance of a few Premier League appearances. For a lad rejected by Liverpool who ended up at Prescot Cables that has to mean something.

It wouldn't surprise me, however, if the next round of incoming transfers mean no space for Duffy in the 25 man squad. That's a shame but it's football - he'll have been squeezed out by better players for the system we'll need to play in the coming season.

This greatly concerns me as Duffy has been the single, most important cog of what we’ve done since Wilder came in. It’s obvious Luke Freeman is a talented footballer but I’ve never seen anything from him that persuaded me he’s fit for the Prem. Obviously I hope I’m proved wrong there. I do really like Robinson and think he could play the Duffy role but we don’t really know if he will.

We also don’t know if Ravel will play there or sit deep. Or where his heads at yet.

You’d think that given Wilder’s previous signings as Duffy competition, he’d be more reluctant to let him go just yet.
Hes under contract for another year Wilder not trying to get rid but being honest to Duffy regarding his future.
If he leaves it's because he chooses to look for an extended contract.
If Duffy feels he wants to stay and fight for a place all well and good.
Who knows he might be a revelation and win a further year.
As I said ( and I'm not in the know ,just a bit of common sense ) he has the choice Wilder wouldn't send him to Coventry he will have too much respect for him to do that.

So after Richard Cadette latest posts.this leaves the 25 man squad as follows...

1 Sawyers
2 Osborn
3 McBurnie
4 Baldock
5 Stevens
6 Fleck
7 O'Connell
8 Basham
9 Lundstram
10 Sharp
11 Egan
12 Norwood
13 McGoldrick
14 Freeman K.
15 Stearman
16 Bryan
17 Moore
18 Jagielka
19 Freeman L.
20 Morrison
21 Robinson
22 Mousset
23 New GK
24 New GK

That leaves Duffy and Clarke fighting for 1 spot

Looks a good squad, hope we get McBurnie and Sawyers, but I have my doubts we’ll get them .
I personally would get rid of Bryan, done nothing to inspire me and keep Duffy

In the many years I have watched the Blades, not many players have given me so much pleasure to watch as Duff. The fact he rocked up at the lane as a bit of a washed up journeyman, just adds to the story. If it is the end (I hope it isn't, but fear it is) then Duffers it has been a great privilege and honour to watch you torment defenders for the last 3 seasons. Thank you for being with us on the journey to the big league, thanks for the bouncing day massacre and all the goals & assists. You my friend can rightly be called a legend.

Can Bryan , he’s been garbage when I’ve watched him.

How many minutes have you seen him play? Not having a go just interested, he wasn't the only one who was awful against Barnet last year, are you advocating we get rid of all the others too? When we signed him he was recovering from a pretty debilitating injury & had a long way to go to reach any sort of fitness, & from there to get match fit you need to play 10/15 to get match fit. You don't get to where he was pre injury without talent, crikey give him a chance.

Back
Top Bottom