Duffy - superstar or good player

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Magic player, can't believe how effortlessly he's stepped up to this league.

Has suffered, like Billy, with Coutts' injury and the change in our play. Hopefully the new additions will help this, or Fleck may be given more licence again to do his driving runs like at Norwich.

Says it all for me when the pigs triple marked him in their 0 - 0 vistory at the lane.

1: Tony Currie rates him very highly. Enough for me.
2: Teams have identified him as a key player. They have set up to nullify him. His runs, his passes and his movement. He is struggling to find space and time under these constraints. CW and AK will mix things up, sometimes Duffy starts, sometimes he doesn't. That will throw teams' preparations up in the air.
3: He has vision. He sees players and passes others don't see.
For me, Duffy is an important player for us. Not a superstar, CW doesn't do them, just a hard working, talented, important member of a strong team.
2: Teams have identified him as a key player. They have set up to nullify him. His runs, his passes and his movement. He is struggling to find space and time under these constraints. CW and AK will mix things up, sometimes Duffy starts, sometimes he doesn't. That will throw teams' preparations up in the air.
For me, Duffy is an important player for us. Not a superstar, CW doesn't do them, just a hard working, talented, important member of a strong team.

4. Joint leading assists in the championship.
5. The player most opposition fans would like in their team.

duffy can be a little incionsistent.. if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be playing for us
Indeed. I remember several times last season saying 'Duffy's not on it today, get him off' and then he does a bit of magic and creates a goal, showing me exactly what I know about football.

Anyone who really understands football, understands what Duffy brings to the table. He is a very intelligent player but sometimes these players need a rest. A physical rest is beneficial but more importantly he needs a mental rest. Creativity always needs refreshing here and there and with Holmes and co coming in it keeps things fresh. Carruthers wasn't quite cutting it and Brooks has been ill so it meant more of a reliance on Duffy. But to answer the OP, no he's not a superstar. No doubt he'll be classed as a Blade legend for the record breaking season last season, for killing the bounce and for the promotion to the prem which is not far off.

Bit of a daft thread title, none of our players are superstars, that’s why we work well as a team. Duffy on his day is as effective as any attacking midfielder in the division, he also happens to have cost a lot less than the majority of them.

I don’t think there’s much hero worship, just recognition that he’s a player who has pulled himself around to be a top player in the Championship despite the fact he was surplus to requirements at Burton a few years ago.

it shows how good the duff is when el porkios had to crowd him out any time he got near the ball.:)

Please don't get me wrong, I do like Duffy, but the way he is hero worshiped on here by some would make you think he was the first messi.

He really played well last season on League 1 and when Brooksy started to show what he can do, Duffy picked up his level to another notch. But in the last few games he's not beating people, he's not scoring goals and seems to look off the pace.

I know I will; get shouted down and I've not see Leonard or Holmes in a United shirt yet, but I'm not sure he's the first name thought of for his position at present.

I accept I will be shouted down, but I've been watching the Blades for over 55 yrs and believe I'm entitled to my view

I think he’s the most creative player in the squad and on his day he’s the difference between 3 points and 1, or 1 point and none.

He is generally very consistent, frequently MOTM, but when he’s off it, he’s really off it. I don’t mean he’s poor, he’s never been less than good, but he can misfire badly and the team suffers.

I also think he’s frustrating st times and I feel frustrated for him. Tbh, he is the main architect of our slow, ponderous, attacking. He’s usually the one who is looking for that perfect pass in the box and it’s a bit like cat and mouse with him at times. He’s got the skill to keep the ball and move it around in neat triangles, but sometimes I just wish he was more direct. Never mind all this tip-tapping about on the edge of the box, get around the back and cause some mayhem!

I wouldn’t take the hero worship on here too seriously. It doesn’t mean much. Done and Scougall were worshipped by some last season when it was plainly obvious they weren’t good enough. Any criticism, however fair and balanced, will be met with a venomous response by some. In their minds you shouldn’t say anything negative about any player, even if it’s meant with the best intentions for the club. This isn’t an objective assessment of players by any means.

I think you’re spot on about Duffy. I like him a lot but like any other player, he needs keeping on his toes.

I’ve said it before, but if Duff plays well, we play well. If he’s shite so are we. Just wish he’d back himself a bit more when he’s got the ball at his feet. He is our best player running with the ball and he should run at defences a lot more.

Great player, he adds 10 goals a season to his game and he’s one of the best number 10s in the league.

Exactly He has vision. Let others give him space to use it and all else follows. He didn't have a good game against Pigs but they knew what to do with him which was push up and crowd out that space he normally operates from. Until the Coutts injury I had not seen such a complete midfield since Woodward/Currie/Salmons days.

The mans a furkin hero , to many people who were singing his praises after this have to short memories, for me he is a true legend for this alone Thankyou mr Duffy !!

Currie's career only took off after he signed for LUFC...
A BIG fish in the BDTBL pond.

#DevilsAdvocate

Oh, really.

I note the devil's advocate hashtag so I guess you're not being serious so why say it in the first place ?

For the record, by the time he went to Leeds , Tony Currie was already a truly wonderful player wIth any number of outstanding performances behind him and six international caps. When he won the second of these against Russia the famous ITV panel which included the likes of Brian Clough, Malcolm Allison etc. we're falling over themselves to congratulate him on his outstanding performance.

Superstar ? I'm not sure what that really means but truly great player ?

Without any doubt.

Basham is a good player. Ronaldo or Neymar are superstars. Duffy is somewhere in between these, perhaps a little closer to Basham, than to the other two though..

He's an excellent player, and on his day, pure class. Classifying him is also a bit weird as he has individual skill in spades, but as his game for us revolves around linking play together, relies upon others as much as himself to make things happen. Therefore his solo play can be lessened or raised by the performances of those around him, however he still has the capability to do something special, as we all know.

I would like him to shoot/score more, to be honest.

Pundits and punters alike bang on about width, but generally speaking, as a team I think we are too apt to continuously pass out wide when there are opportunities in the middle. Even at Norwich on saturday I noticed this. We had a few chances from central areas just outside or just inside the area, but pushed it to the wing waiting for a return ball. That can work, but not all the time. Sometimes, all you're doing is just giving the opposition another opportunity to intercept or block. Duffy can sometimes be guilty of this, but also does play the perfect through ball more centrally. Will be very interesting to see how we use him, Holmes and Brooks for the remainder of the season. Mouth-watering, in fact..

He's a 7/10 championship player. One that's found a 'home' at S2 and a manager that's getting the best out of him. How people can suggest he's top 2 or 3 in the all time player rankings are either insulting some quality 'Top league' player's or are simply admitting we've been very short of good players. I'd have Tongue and Brown in my midfield over Duffy any day of week. Next people will be saying Leon Clarke is better than Deane or Agana.

Tony Currie was already a truly wonderful player wIth any number of outstanding performances behind him and six international caps.

Only six for some outstanding performances at BDTBL...
Capped eleven times at Leeds United....

I'm only quoting facts...

#DevilsAdvocate

#DevilsAdvocate
He was 23 when he got a regular place which is about the average age for debuts. Got injured in March 1974 that needed a knee surgery (he would have missed Munich 74 had England qualified). When he recovered from the op Revie became our new manager and his face "didn't fit" despite that Revie regularly picked him for the squad

He was 23 when he got a regular place which is about the average age for debuts. Got injured in March 1974 that needed a knee surgery (he would have missed Munich 74 had England qualified). When he recovered from the op Revie became our new manager and his face "didn't fit" despite that Revie regularly picked him for the squad

How many players of that era NEVER fulfilled their potential of playing for England in the World Cup?
A barren twelve years between Mexico & Spain... Not only Currie who missed out.
Whilst at the end of the 70's, early 80's English clubs were successful in Europe, the national team were abysmal.

How many players of that era NEVER fulfilled their potential of playing for England in the World Cup?
A barren twelve years between Mexico & Spain... Not only Currie who missed out.
Whilst at the end of the 70's, early 80's English clubs were successful in Europe, the national team were abysmal.

One of my favourites for a start,Alan Hudson,then there was Elvis Worthington,Stanley Bowles,

One of my favourites for a start,Alan Hudson,then there was Elvis Worthington,Stanley Bowles,

Add on any English player between 1970 & 1982... if it wasn't for Liverpool, Nottingham Forest & Aston Villa, English football would have been forgotten.

#DevilsAdvocate

Your original statement was " Currie's career only took off when he joined LUFC"

The fact that he had gained six international caps and was one of the most admired players in the country before that transfer took place contradicts the basic premise of your statement.

The fact that he went on to gain a further 11 at Leeds is, therefore, not relevant and was only to be expected anyway.

Back
Top Bottom